Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 369
  1. #46
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,312

    Default

    Palpatine boinking some girl with a wrinkled up face next to her ear just breathing heavily must have been a pretty sick sight to behold....

  2. #47
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Palpatine boinking some girl with a wrinkled up face next to her ear just breathing heavily must have been a pretty sick sight to behold....
    The Sith probably have some Dark Side Force power that enabled them to alter their appearance to be as attractive as they desired or needed.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  3. #48
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Still a pity not using the actor but the VA in TCW.
    The Clone Wars VA's are the only voices characters like Luminara or Aayla ever had. The whole point of the bit is trying to connect the scene to the emotional part of your brain by using familiar voices.

  4. #49
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The Sith probably have some Dark Side Force power that enabled them to alter their appearance to be as attractive as they desired or needed.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Don't even need it. He was the Emperor. Power. Unlimited power. Either the lady was into it, because power, or he could have had her killed if she said no.

    He'd hardly be the first ugly dude to leverage his position to take advantage of people.

  5. #50
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    The Clone Wars VA's are the only voices characters like Luminara or Aayla ever had. The whole point of the bit is trying to connect the scene to the emotional part of your brain by using familiar voices.
    But they are not the real actors in the movie, just use some iconic lines so ppl would recognize them.

    It's not like they need a special voice like Vader, and they didn't get to have a direct visual appearance like Maul had in Solo.

  6. #51
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    But they are not the real actors in the movie, just use some iconic lines so ppl would recognize them.

    It's not like they need a special voice like Vader, and they didn't get to have a direct visual appearance like Maul had in Solo.
    Luminara and Aayla in particular don't have anything that even passes for iconic lines. They were in a handful of episodes of the cartoon, and in a tiny number of film scenes.

    Also, interesting that you would cite Maul from Solo. Because Ray Park played the physical role, but didn't do the voice (he didn't voice Maul in TPM either, as it happens). Instead, they got the VA from Clone Wars to record Maul's lines for Solo. So they actually went for the most recognizable element each way there. The original actor for the look, and the most recognizable voice for the sound. Which actually reinforces my point. They want people to recognize these characters, who were fans of the cartoons OR the films. They're going to use the element that you're most likely to recognize.

  7. #52
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Luminara and Aayla in particular don't have anything that even passes for iconic lines. They were in a handful of episodes of the cartoon, and in a tiny number of film scenes.

    Also, interesting that you would cite Maul from Solo. Because Ray Park played the physical role, but didn't do the voice (he didn't voice Maul in TPM either, as it happens). Instead, they got the VA from Clone Wars to record Maul's lines for Solo. So they actually went for the most recognizable element each way there. The original actor for the look, and the most recognizable voice for the sound. Which actually reinforces my point. They want people to recognize these characters, who were fans of the cartoons OR the films. They're going to use the element that you're most likely to recognize.
    It's ok to refer some lines. Aayla has some moments.

    Yes I know and that's why I used him as the example, Ray Park got to have a direct appearance, so it's fair to use others for the voice. But when they don't have one, I think the actors deserve to take the role since it's their character in the movie.

  8. #53
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    It's ok to refer some lines. Aayla has some moments.

    Yes I know and that's why I used him as the example, Ray Park got to have a direct appearance, so it's fair to use others for the voice. But when they don't have one, I think the actors deserve to take the role since it's their character in the movie.
    So, in your mind, it's better to prioritize an actor or actress who appeared as a background character with no lines for less than 30 seconds in film over the actor or actress who actually gave them a personality and a voice in a larger appearance elsewhere? Especially when doing so would confuse the audience and completely undermine the point of using recognizable characters and voices to connect with the audience?

    I mean, you do you. But you'd utterly destroy the entire point of the scene in doing so.

  9. #54
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,773

    Default

    It's kind of funny that one of the major criticisms of the old EU by some fans was the return of Palpatine, and now the movies pretty much do the same thing.

    Wonder if since a lot of the DS's hull survived (although in a bad state) that perhaps Palpatine's broken body was recovered from there. Kind of interesting that it simply landed on another moon in the system (I'm presuming that the place we see briefly in the first part of the scene is probably the forest moon, while this new place is the "ocean" moon. Kind of like Mustafar in a weird way I guess, which appeared to share an orbit with some other body although it was clearly called a planet in the movie).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  10. #55
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    So, in your mind, it's better to prioritize an actor or actress who appeared as a background character with no lines for less than 30 seconds in film over the actor or actress who actually gave them a personality and a voice in a larger appearance elsewhere? Especially when doing so would confuse the audience and completely undermine the point of using recognizable characters and voices to connect with the audience?

    I mean, you do you. But you'd utterly destroy the entire point of the scene in doing so.
    The script gave them personality, not the VA.

    As long as it's well done, I don't see the problem. To be fair, most of the ppl wouldn't even know who those voices are without looking at the credits. The scene should have the images appear, so ppl would have known it better.

  11. #56
    God Save The Queen! Mia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Corner Office
    Posts
    1,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Terrible disappointment.
    Visually stunning but completely without heart and soul. I found the ending depressing beyond belief, but I'm a Reylo fan so that goes without saying.
    But I thought Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson and Kelly Tran were horribly treated.
    New characters were introduced only to disappear after five minutes.
    Palpatine's return was completely botched.
    Rey became the Mary Sue the haters insisted she was (how happy they must be now).
    All flash no substance. The editing was all over the place.
    The whole film came across as Disney simply getting rid of the Skywalkers so they could go ahead with their multi million spin offs like the new theme park. There were some great moments, but lost in the bad ones.

    And frankly I'm heartily sick of Poe Dameron. Huge disappointment.
    Sounds more like your criticism is based on the fact that the makers didn’t tell the tale you wanted to see. That’s fine. But don’t fault the restaurant if they only serve meat dishes and you want vegiterian.

    There were two main characters in the film who the premise of the story seemed to be built on Rey and Ren. With a little done for Poe and Finn. Everyone else was supposed to be a supporting character. It’s not unheard of for supporting/side characters to come in and advance or add to the plot and leave. It’s been done on tv and film for years.

    Rey was no more a ‘Mary Sue’ than Luke or any other character in a sci-fi/fantasy show has with powers. And I frankly don’t understand how she can be a Mary Sue when she’s been fending for herself and learning to survive since she was abandoned at 10 years old. Mary Sue’s powers and skills usually come without any kind of hard work or sacrifice or study. And that is not Rey by any stretch of the imagination. And she spent (the two previous films) looking for her sense of self from others. By the start of the film she had evidently taken Ren’s advice ‘let the past die’ dropped the abandonment issues that were crippling her growth and moved forward.
    And of course I don’t know you personally. But I don’t know how anyone without an ounce of feeling can not be moved by how people both great and small came together to take on the enemy. That spoke to me more about heroism, and over coming your fears for a greater good. Than some contrived magic person just zapping the enemy.
    Or about Rey discovering that her parents actually loved her and did what they did for her own protection. Or even the visible struggle of Rey to not give into her grand fathers offer to take over the Sith. I think that it was much more than just hate. You can’t tell me someone as ambitious as that wouldn’t be seduced by that kind of power. Those were all scenes that definitely moved me and tugged at my heart.
    Last edited by Mia; 12-21-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    • “Fame is a fools idea of glory. I prefer to merely succeed.”-Jaeger (Altered Carbon)
    • “Raging is my job. It’s hopeless, pointless & exhausting. And the only thing worse would be giving up.”-Seven of Nine
    • “You have the soul of a survivor”.- Girda to Alita (Alita Battle Angel)

  12. #57
    Mighty Member Godzilla2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post

    Rey was no more a ‘Mary Sue’ than Luke or any other character in a sci-fi/fantasy show has with powers. And I frankly don’t understand how she can be a Mary Sue when she’s been fending for herself and learning to survive since she was abandoned at 10 years old. Mary Sue’s powers and skills usually come without any kind of hard work or sacrifice or study. And that is not Rey by any stretch of the imagination. And she spent (the two previous films) looking for her sense of self from others. By the start of the film she had evidently taken Ren’s advice ‘let the past die’ dropped the abandonment issues that were crippling her growth and moved forward.
    And of course I don’t know you personally. But I don’t know how anyone without an ounce of feeling can not be moved by how people both great and small came together to take on the enemy. That spoke to me more about heroism, and over coming your fears for a greater good. Than some contrived magic person just zapping the enemy.
    Or about Rey discovering that her parents actually loved her and did what they did for her own protection. Or even the visible struggle of Rey to not give into her grand fathers offer to take over the Sith. I think that it was much more than just hate. You can’t tell me someone as ambitious as that wouldn’t be seduced by that kind of power. Those were all scenes that definitely moved me and tugged at my heart.

    Luke was in no way a Mary Sue.

    - Ben had to save him at the cantina
    - He struggled with a training droid
    - Vader almost shot Luke down if it wasn't for Han
    - His father handed his a$$ to him in a duel
    - Luke made his share of mistakes

    Luke was able to fly an X-Wing because the movie already established several times he had experience as a pilot

    Now we have Rey

    - Flies the Falcon against TIE Pilots (Even Rey said she had no experience as a pilot)
    - Resists mind control
    - Uses Mind Control
    - Telekenisis
    - Never picked up a lightsaber and beats Kylo Ren
    - Zero mistakes
    (All this happens in the first movie)

    And No, people aren't attacking Rey because of her gender. She's in no way some breakthrough sci-fi heroine

    Captain Kathryn Janeway: Studied at Starfleet, served as a Science Officer before being promoted to Captain. Definitely made her share of mistakes
    Ahsoka Tano: Trained at the temple and with Plo Kloon before joining Anakin. Had some wreckless moments (her Master wasn't exactly the stern type)

    Now you have Rey: She does all this crap after hearing the force is real

    Rey is a Mary Sue. Skills out of nowhere, no mistakes. Even revealing her lineage doesn't make this character interesting. Wasn't Anakin or Luke that defeated the Emperor to bring balance to the force. Of course, its Rey.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-21-2019 at 07:37 PM.

  13. #58
    Incredible Member abulafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's kind of funny that one of the major criticisms of the old EU by some fans was the return of Palpatine, and now the movies pretty much do the same thing.

    Wonder if since a lot of the DS's hull survived (although in a bad state) that perhaps Palpatine's broken body was recovered from there. Kind of interesting that it simply landed on another moon in the system (I'm presuming that the place we see briefly in the first part of the scene is probably the forest moon, while this new place is the "ocean" moon. Kind of like Mustafar in a weird way I guess, which appeared to share an orbit with some other body although it was clearly called a planet in the movie).
    "since the DS´s hull survivied"
    that is such a far stretch in itself. and then they discover palps body ontop of that.

    i think this movie is the ultimate prove that head canon is better than half wit corp story telling.
    i deny you disney

    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

  14. #59
    Incredible Member abulafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    598

    Default

    @mia
    look, luke is overconfident and has a big mouth. han mocks him, he is schooled. rey can do everything. and better than all the established characters. i fail to understand how someone can not realize that.
    luke is not a gary sue. he fails so many times.
    plz rewatch the movies
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

  15. #60
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    The script gave them personality, not the VA.
    What? A script is just words. They are nothing without the VA performance. They are the ones that give personality to the character.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •