Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

At least the quicksand scene wasn't as nearly goofy as the Indiana Jones one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGIooJXEu9E
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Speaking of Endgame, there are some striking similarities between both movies that has been picked up on. infact CBR seems to know this.

https://www.cbr.com/rise-of-skywalke...-endgame-line/
    The Rise of Skywalker Has Its Own Iron Man Endgame Line - and It Rules

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-the-ri...-ended-better/
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Vs Avengers: Endgame - Which Ended Better?

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/248...imilar-endings
    Avengers: Endgame And Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker Have Very Similar Endings

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/...am-iron-man-a/
    Avengers: Endgame Fans Are Saying Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Ripped It Off

Yeah, star wars ripping of marvel and not in good way like when Vader was basically a rip off of Dr Doom.

https://www.themarysue.com/avengers-...-of-skywalker/
    Avengers: Endgame Did the Same Finale Better Than The Rise of Skywalker. I Said What I Said.

There is also the notion of fan services, although it was praised in Endgame, it seems to be disliked with rise of skywalker because the fan service was done out of fear, while endgame the fan service was about celebrating the 10 years of mcu movies. star wars is doing fan services that this New Disney trilogy has not earned. sad
    They bowed to the haters who sent Rian Johnson death threats, trolled Kelly Tran with some of the vilest comments I've ever seen, demanded Rey be a Skywalker and demanded Kylo Ren die to appease killing his father, despite doing the latter meant wiping out Han and Leia's only child.

I wonder though, if there's another reason......Bob Iger in an interview seemed delighted to kill off the Skywalker saga, apparently he thinks it's a good thing.
    Whatever. I feel sorry for the kids that were left in tears after seeing it, and also with the real life abuse victims and mentally ill people who identified with Ben Solo.
    I guess in the long run appeasing a handful of unpleasant bullies and bigots is more important to Disney. If this is the case, I've lost what little respect I had for them.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's kind of interesting that when you think about it, despite the whole Tatooine connection, Luke, Leia, Ben and Rey technically are all at least part-Nabooish.
    And Naboo has become the forgotten world of the Galaxy...as has Coruscant. So vital to the Prequels, these two planets were absent from even the faintest allusion during the Sequels, even though they were retconned into the Original Trilogy (final scenes of RETURN OF THE JEDI).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The sequel trilogy background stuff like the sequel trilogy basically states that the New Republic had a rotating capital instead of centering on Coruscant. Hence why it's Hosnian prime in TFA. Other worlds included Chandrila (Mon Mothma's homeworld) where Ben was born.

Naboo did show up in Shattered Empire (Marvel's post-ROTJ limited series) and the Battlefront II game.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Are you a fan of the OT, by chance?
    Yes. I'm also a filthy prequel lover, for what its worth.

And I also debunked Mary Sue. I repeatedly defended the ST, and Rey, and got a lot of flak for it. But that is one of the reasons I was so disappointed, because that is exactly what she became.
    I really don't see it, but okay.

I'm glad you loved this film. I wish I'd loved it. I wanted to love it. As a kid, Star Wars provided me with an escape from a childhood blighted by school bullies, as an adult helped me cope with depression. I lost my mum this May. I lost a beloved pet. This has not been a good year for me. I wanted it to end on a high.
    Instead I watched the franchise I loved die.
    Good luck to it's new fans, but for me, as I said, Star Wars died with the last of the Skywalker/Solo family.
    Sorry to hear about that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The sequel trilogy background stuff like the sequel trilogy basically states that the New Republic had a rotating capital instead of centering on Coruscant. Hence why it's Hosnian prime in TFA. Other worlds included Chandrila (Mon Mothma's homeworld) where Ben was born.

Naboo did show up in Shattered Empire (Marvel's post-ROTJ limited series) and the Battlefront II game.
    I'd like to read a post-RISE OF SKYWALKER story wherein Rey visits Coruscant, if only because her entire life through the Sequels have kept her confined to desolate, remote planets such as Jakku and Ahch-To. She's probably curious about the Galactic Center and its bustle would be an eye-opener for her.

Extraordinary Member

Well Finn finally had a decent showing. Jannah was surprisingly vulnerable and 3 dimensional. Glad Lando came back and did his thing. The Emperor was really over the top and silly- as he should be,wouldn't have him any other way.

Well, I finally saw the movie, and I liked it. I knew about the leaks beforehand, the movie had problems, this whole trilogy had problems, mostly steming from the writing and a lack of direction. I thought making Rey a nobody at first was a good idea. Showing people that you don't need to be born special to be part of a special lineage, but nope, Rey's a palpatine. It reminds me of Naruto a bit, Naruto being the son of the fourth hokage made sense in the narrative, but then it got stupid, making him be related to the first, second, and fifth by marriage and blood respectively, and then, it turns out he's Ninja Jesus.

I thought that Finn was going to be the Kyle Katarn of the new movies, JJ Abrams revealed him to be force sensitive.....offscreen, which is probably not what he intended, he probably meant to reveal it onscreen, and even though he did have a good showing, he mostly chased after Rey.

The real problem I had was with Kylo Ren. I do not feel that Kylo deserved redemption, I never got the sense that he was sorry for any of the things he did, the countless acts of murder, the genocide, he really did it all for a girl. He's a reddit edgelord with superpowers, but he's good looking, so the fangirls swoon. Reylo being canon makes my stomach churn, it reinforces the notion that it's a woman's job to fix a broken man, which it isn't.

I was happy I saw Rey train some more, I never bought into the Mary Sue thing, I just thought she needed more skill, some development, and she got some.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The real problem I had was with Kylo Ren. I do not feel that Kylo deserved redemption, I never got the sense that he was sorry for any of the things he did, the countless acts of murder, the genocide, he really did it all for a girl. He's a reddit edgelord with superpowers, but he's good looking, so the fangirls swoon. Reylo being canon makes my stomach churn, it reinforces the notion that it's a woman's job to fix a broken man, which it isn't.
    Rey didn't do it for Kylo/Ben. His parents did. Credit goes to Leia and Han, not Rey, for his turn back to the Light.

As for deserving redemption, did Kylo/Ben deserve it any less than Anakin/Vader, whose redemption came very late and also seemingly without any expressed or implied remorse for his previous deeds?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Well Finn finally had a decent showing. Jannah was surprisingly vulnerable and 3 dimensional. Glad Lando came back and did his thing. The Emperor was really over the top and silly- as he should be,wouldn't have him any other way.
    The look of embarrassment/shame on Jannah's face when Lando asked her about where she was from and her admitting that she did not know was heartbreaking. There is a strong motif in the movie of people being disposable and nothing. Ending up finding value.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    The look of embarrassment/shame on Jannah's face when Lando asked her about where she was from and her admitting that she did not know was heartbreaking. There is a strong motif in the movie of people being disposable and nothing. Ending up finding value.
    Yeah I expected her to be a stock/tough chick character but that scene and others were very telling. I interpreted her facial expression to be more regret/sadness than shame. Hopefully there's more stories for that character.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 12-29-2019 at 12:44 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Rey didn't do it for Kylo/Ben. His parents did. Credit goes to Leia and Han, not Rey, for his turn back to the Light.

As for deserving redemption, did Kylo/Ben deserve it any less than Anakin/Vader, whose redemption came very late and also seemingly without any expressed or implied remorse for his previous deeds?
    Kylo Ren's redemption is just such a bizzare direction given how TLJ ended. Together he and Rey killed Snoke and it looked like they might join forces, on the dark side, to rule the First Order. Now that would've been a bold direction for Disney's trilogy, could've maybe even given Finn a chance to step-up and have some real heroic moments. But instead what we got with Kylo is perhaps the least convincing turncoat in Star Wars history.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I thought that Finn was going to be the Kyle Katarn of the new movies, JJ Abrams revealed him to be force sensitive.....offscreen, which is probably not what he intended, he probably meant to reveal it onscreen, and even though he did have a good showing, he mostly chased after Rey.
    No, it was 100% on screen. We actually see Finn sense Rey's death from the Millennium Falcon. After all the build up throughout the movie, that's plenty of reveal.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I'd like to read a post-RISE OF SKYWALKER story wherein Rey visits Coruscant, if only because her entire life through the Sequels have kept her confined to desolate, remote planets such as Jakku and Ahch-To. She's probably curious about the Galactic Center and its bustle would be an eye-opener for her.

I'm actually less interested in any of that previously established stuff than I am in Rey training Finn. And only because I feel like TLJ and Rise set up an interesting opportunity for the Jedi to poach a modified version of the Sith Rule of Two going forward. No more training academies, no more massive temples. Just two people, a master and apprentice. One person connecting to another. And then when that apprentice is knighted they both take new apprentices and continue the journey. It would be slower than Luke's plan of trying to train a dozen or more at once. But it fits so well with the themes from the PT and ST of the Jedi being disconnected from the galaxy and the people around them. Less old Jedi and more like the monk from Kung Fu. Out in the world doing good, learning as we go.

A new way of being Jedi, better than the old.

Oh well, I don't imagine we'll get post ST material any time soon. So I'll just head canon away.

Naboo, or at least the Gungans, was also mentioned in the first episode of The Mandolorian.