Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Default Star Wars Episode IX: Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers)

The Saga ends! But does it end well?

Let the spoiler-filled discussion commence!

Saw TROS last night and I've got mixed feelings. Feels like they overcompensated a bit for TLJ's mistakes and played it too safe. Abrams brings the story to a close in a way that's not going to offend audiences or blow them away.

The banter is good and the Finn/Rey/Poe dynamic finally comes together even if they never got the development of the Han, Luke and Leia trio.

Kylo Ren's character arc has the best payoff.

There are things regarding Finn and Poe that leave you wanting more, which makes me wonder if they're setting up future stories or if the film was just trying too hard to cram everything into two and a half hours and couldn't quite get there. But Poe's shady past and Finn's relationship with other stormtroopers who defected are worthy of further development.

The pacing is a bit off, with characters leaping from one action scene to the next without any time for reflection.

I can see why Anthony Daniels was excited about TROS. Fans of C3-PO rejoice, he has some of the film's best lines. But he also has a huge emotional moment that is quickly reversed. Mileage will probably vary as to whether that's a good or bad thing.

Lando is a joyous presence as always.

There is a LOT of clunky exposition and they still don't answer the film's biggest questions.

There are too many McGuffins. The thingamabob leads to the whatchamadoohickey that gives the secret location of the...eh, you get the idea.

The visuals are STUNNING. Absolutely gorgeous. And the locales all have something new to offer.

Luke's role is pretty minimal and I'll admit I was hoping for more.

Palpatine's secret chamber has a horror vibe in the best possible way.

Rey's big ancestry reveal is unsatisfying and raises more questions than it answers, but her final scene is a sweet, emotional sendoff.
    Last edited by David Walton; 12-20-2019 at 02:07 PM.