Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    ...People were laughing when Ben Solo died. thank the fan fic kiss or generic final battle that felt more like a superhero movie than a star wars film. When Vader died, people actually felt bad for him and sad for Luke.
    People laughed at my theatre as well. Others cheered when Ben died. Some also laughed at Palpatine strapped to his huge machine.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    I know what the writers wanted to achieve when Rey claimed the Skywalker name. And it's not bad on paper, even if the execution may leave a lot to be desired. It's just that I personally think ackowledging she's a Palpatine sends an even more powerful message, even if I'm aware it's the equivalent of calling oneself after Hitler.
    Maybe? I think in the movie her not doing that ties the bow on the idea that she wasn't bound by whatever fate her ancestors would've intended for her. Guess I found that more satisfying.

I find it funny how Leia is the one who tells Rey not to be afraid of who she is, while in the now non-canon EU she was the one who had big trouble forgiving his father and accepting his redemption (hence she still saw herself as Organa).[/QUOTE]

Different continuities. Besides, Leia of all people would have first-hand experience discovering and having to live with being directly related to one of the most infamous people in recent history (and, according to the Bloodline novel, being judged accordingly instead of for who you actually were).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    TPM does have a pretty decent opening with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan showing off their skills with Williams using the main and force themes. Once they get to Naboo that's where things start to go downhill I think.
    Maybe? Never had a problem with the movie overall, but I will agree that the opening was a solid one.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    "Never be afraid of who you are." - Leia's final words to Rey.

"There are things more powerful than blood." - Luke's words to Rey.

"This is the ending that feels most intended from the beginning of the sequel trilogy: deserted scavenger Rey claiming the Skywalker name not through blood but by actions, an active rebuke of lineage as the cause of greatness and emboldening of any individual's character." - Alex Leadbeater, ScreenRant.com, whose interpretation coincides with mine.

At the end of the film, Rey has taken the Skywalker name, their lightsabers (though she chose to bury them and leave them at peace), the Millennium Falcon, presumably R2D2 and C3PO, Luke's X-Wing Fighter, one of Han's blasters, and most importantly of all, their values, which she freely chose, while rejecting everything that was Palpatine's. She could not purge herself of Palpatine's blood, but ultimately, it didn't matter. The legacy of the Skywalkers was willingly passed down to her by the Skywalkers themselves, and she embraced it. That was the driving theme of the movie: nothing is predestined, but the result of the choices and actions that an individual takes on the path of life. Self-actualization rather than fate.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    I actually think it would have left a more powerful message if she had answered her name was Rey Palpatine. After all, it's not like Luke hadn't carried proudly the name Skywalker after his genocidal (albeit redeemed, unlike the Emperor) father, and it resonantes better with the "never be afraid of who you are" advice.
    I can see both sides of this argument. I'd say you're both right from a certain point of view. That probably sounds like a cop out of an opinion but it's what I think.

They did Rose dirty. If she was not that good of a character in last jedi, why can't they just improve on the character than cut her out.
    As much as I depise The Last Jedi I have to agree there. It felt like a panic button had been pressed when it came to her. So I can see why people who liked the character would be very annoyed.

Now I just saw this movie. So maybe my new movie hype is still big but I liked it. I had in fact read the spoilers. It's not great but it was sonmething that IMO The Last Jedi was not. It was fun! The Last Jedi sticks out like a sore thumb in this trilogy. TLJ felt like it was embarrassed to be a Star Wars movie.

It felt like it was embracing Kylo's mantra in that film only to do a 180 out of left field. Rise of Skywalker however feels like it wants to be a Star Wars movie. It wants to embrace the past and future. Is it the best end for the Skywalker saga? No I don't think so. I firmly believe that ROTJ is a better ending to the Skywalker saga.

That said if you like or even love The Last Jedi. You may not like this movie. I'm not talking about everyone but I do see people who post and dislike this movie tend to like TLJ.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Looks to me like Lando has a future in reuniting mutinied Stormtroopers with their families. Some story potential there.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

They did Rose dirty. If she was not that good of a character in last jedi, why can't they just improve on the character than cut her out.
    It was the right move. It's the final movie in the trilogy and she isn't a member of the trio. JJ has other new characters he has to focus on as well and the movie is overstuffed as it is. Plus Rose wasn't created by JJ. You have to know when to cut your losses
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I can see both sides of this argument. I'd say you're both right from a certain point of view. That probably sounds like a cop out of an opinion but it's what I think.
    STAR WARS has always been about a certain point of view. Just ask this man:

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member

The problem is so many people acting like the "self-actualization" thing is some grand new concept in SW. And, it's not, it's been done many times. And therein lies the rub, Disney doing so many things that have been done before, but then trying to claim that they're being "bold and new."

Extraordinary Member

The issue with Rose is her entire character arc was the result of sidelining Finn and her purpose was to constantly question Finn’s motives and undermine his decisions to make a point. That came at the cost of possibly doing one of the ballsiest things a Star Wars character ever did and fulfilling a character arc that would have been memorable.

But those failings aside, they wanted to keep Finn with main cast this go round and it probably didn’t make sense for him to have his personified conscious lingering around. More than that, Rose just wasn’t important enough to merit a character repair. It would be like if the prequels tried to double down Jar Jar when they clearly didn’t need his character.

Saw it twice and I left the theaters disappointed both times, even more so the second time than the first because I had time to think about what was going on.

Plot holes Galore!!! Too many to even get into

Rey (Just thinking about her just makes me exhausted. I'd like to like her character but I just can't bring myself to do it. Nothing about her character is appealing to me. I could not care less about whatever her troubles were. She was just frustrating to watch in all three movies.) Daisey Riddley, great actress but her character was terrible. During a couple of scenes it looked like she had just completely checked out and was like, 'Man I'm done with this star wars stuff after this movie' and I can't blame her either. I could write an entire essay or book about as to why her character does not work at all.

Finn- GOD SUCH WASTED POTENTIAL!!!!!!!! I was eager to see what they were gonna do with my man Finn. I was interested in his character since they mentioned him in Force Awakens. Then the Last Jedi happened.....ugh.....and Now Rise of Skywalker. Absolutely nothing. I'm glad they made him force sensitive but it's a little late in the game. That was a plot point that should have been explored in TLJ but no one seemed to give a crap about him. And now this movie. Ugh sooooooooooo frustrating. He got sideline again. And I swear If I would have heard him say Rey's name one more time I was going to scream. Every single movie has him screaming her name like a love sick puppy. I do think they shared some attraction but that plotpoint was dropped in favor of REYLO, and bc I guess Disney isn't ready for Interracial relationships. Also What is with this fascination of Finn and Poe, I do not see it. Finn was always drawn to Rey from the moment they met, it would make for sense for the two of them....but I digress.

KNights of Ren- Another Waste!!!!! Nuff said.

Poe Dameron- Wasted as well. Nuff said.

Kylo Ren- Ugh where to begin. I really did not want to see him being redeemed. He already made it clear he did not want redemption, and so to have him being redeemed in the end was maddening to me. He should've a been straight up killed or I don't know escaped to fight another day or imprisoned. Not whatever the heck it is that they did in this movie. He got redeemed, he force revived Rey, and he died and became one with the force. Which should not be possible for him since he was with the darkside. Vader didn't disappear he was burned, as I think Kylo Ren should have been. He spent three movies being confused AF until a memory made him unconfused. (I know Harrison Ford doesn't give a crap but I mean at least comb the hair brah. Looks like he just rolled out of bed and said just let me do the scene so I can go back to sleep). I just did not like the redemption arc. He should have committed to the decision he made in the last one, just to have to some freakin consistency. and lets not forget the sheer nauseation that is Reylo. my friend called it from the beginning and I was like nah they wouldn't blatantly put a crazed mass murderer with a Disney princess would they. And I'll be damned...they did. Reylo is pure fanfiction, there is no way for anyone to justify the two of them ending up together, it is pure nonsense. JJ Abrams is trying back track saying that it was a kiss like Luke and Leia, give the man credit. He knows how to commit to a lie.

All in all this whole new Disney Star Wars is a waste of perfectly good potential. All great actors and actresses.....even JJ Abrams' Friends and Family who were in every single movie. It should've been called STAR WARS: JJ ABRAMS AND FRIENDS.

I think the biggest sin these movies committed though was not to have Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford share a single scene together. The three of them carried the OT into superstardom and not to have them in a single scene together is Criminal. I think one of the writers or it may have been JJ that said If Luke would have showed up earlier than he did, then the story would have just shifted to him. I disagree, that would only happen if the Story was weak and the characters were even weaker. You can have an Iconic Character be in a story and not have him or her take over, if you're a good writer.

Anyway C- for me. Would I watch it again, maybe, probably not tho, but if I did I'd either pause it or stop midway through and put something else on. I won't even do that for TLJ. That movie will remain my least favorite star wars, ever......at least until the next one.

I'll just be glad when I can visit CBR without seeing two or three front page stories complaining about aspects of this movie.

Watched it Christmas Eve and I walked out with my friend and with 15 minutes we had segued to being horrified by 'Cats'.

It was that bad.

Spectacular Member

It was a great Star Wars movie! So happy and relieved. Just saw it for the second time with the whole family. The young kids (2 boys & 1 girl) want Star Wars toys again!

I thought this one really felt like a Star Wars movie again. The last one, not so much. Left the theater last time and haven't had an urge to watch the Last Jedi again since.

I think I'll see it again too. Lot's of neat things going on in the movie. I just realized there were two other Jedi Hunters with Ochi on his ship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It was the right move. It's the final movie in the trilogy and she isn't a member of the trio. JJ has other new characters he has to focus on as well and the movie is overstuffed as it is. Plus Rose wasn't created by JJ. You have to know when to cut your losses
    Agreed. I like Rose. But given the structure of the plot she just wouldn't have fit in the road trip they were on, there were already too many characters in that section. And it's better for it to just focus on the trio I'm just glad that she wasn't written off period.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I'll just be glad when I can visit CBR without seeing two or three front page stories complaining about aspects of this movie.
    Meh. Me personally I just make an adjustment to my profile section.

It’s hard to take complaints seriously from people who complain they don’t like the protagonist or the direction yet spend their money and time seeing it not only once but twice. Or hate it because their fan fiction isn’t being portrayed on screen. I didn't like John Wick and never re-watched it or any of the sequels.
    Reddit seems to be a better place for intelligent film related discussion.

By the way just saw it for the 4th time today. Just beautiful and inspiring. I just wish that the art book was being released now not in March.
    Last edited by Mia; 12-26-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

This movie only works if you don’t think whatsoever about the plot

-Why is Palpatine back? It is never explained at any point.

-Why is he announcing his return? What purpose does it serve? Doesn’t it undermine everything?

-How did the First Order get to his fleet and man it when literally when it was on a planet that nobody could find without a McGuffin that was the plot of 2/3rds of the film

-Why did Kylo act like he knew who Rey was in TFA if he really had no fucking clue and needed to be told it here?

-Why did the Emperor send Kylo to kill Rey if it undermined his plan for him to kill her?

-Was it just a coincidence that Kylo and Rey were a force diad? Because otherwise Palpatine has no back up of Rey won’t kill him

-If the Emperor could just **** up a massive force with Force Lightening, why didn’t he do that in ROTJ?

-Am I supposed to believe that years ago Lando went on a mission with Luke and just stayed there forever so he could conveniently save the heroes?

-Am I supposed to believe Poe just happens to sync up with an old flame who has this super rare imperial badge that makes no logistical sense that is something he never even saw before mere minutes before they conveniently can use it to save Chewy (who being alive was a cop out) and find the McGuffin?

-So the ancient Sith dagger that acts as a map to the Wave Finder is designed to line up with 30 year old Death Star wreckage that is following apart and in a tidal wave sea? Geez

-Luke and Leia knew Rey was a Palpatine but never told her despite everyone believing he was dead for reasons? They were fighting an off shoot of the Empire and had the heir to the Empire on their side. It would have undermined anyone leading the first order.

-Ummm when Palpy is on death’s door hooked up to his machine he looks like a really old Ian McDarmid but when he absorbs life force to be renewed he looks like himself after the scarring Mace Windu gave him?

-Palpatine completely realized Rey is pushing the lightening back and he just keeps doing it instead of forced her to kill him with his own attack? You know doing literally the only thing that doesn’t accomplish his plan?

-So Jedi can heal horrific fatal wounds but nobody thought to do that with Qui Gon, or Anakin’s hand?

-Han who has no force powers talks to Kylo instead of his mother who was legit trained by a Jedi who knew astral projection? Like literally Leia was about to die anyways and they can’t just do the one thing that makes the most sense to get Ford in the movie?

-So Snoke was lying about being the reason for Kylo and Rey’s connection in the last film and it was really the force diad? But then why did Snoke say he made the connection? And if he was lying, shouldn’t he have told Palpatine about the force diad since he was in fact completely aware of it?

-So Hux was a spy just to conveniently save the heroes in one scene, but he didn’t care who won as long as Kylo lost? So he saved people who ruined master plan in the first film because he didn’t like Kylo that much? Do you didn’t care that the Resistance could have won and you would likely have still been a war criminal with them or maybe the Emperor who was even more dangerous, but Kylo who kept you around for a year was the problem? What? I have to believe this plot point existed for no other reason than to get the heroes a quick escape?

-Rey buries the lightsabers on Tatooine even though Luke hated the place and got off the first chance he got and the only time Leia was ever there she spent the whole time being Jabba’s slave? They really just wanted that double sunset shot to end it?

-So again why was Rey so important to Palpatine’s plan? He couldn’t have waited another generation for someone who might be more in tune with the darkside? Why did he want to make sure she never became a Jedi? Two of his top apprentices were former Jedi’s (Dooku and Anakin) so was Kylo who he relied on.

-They can transfer the the homing signal to the main Star Destroyer but couldn’t transfer it to a less obvious ship when they were under direct attack?

-So this battle ended the war even though we were led to believe that the First Order has the galaxy under its grip and the Resistance was on life support since the prior film because they thwarted the plot of Palpatine who literally nobody knew was alive until recently? Like I get the Second Death Star because it was pretty much the reason the Emperor died and screwed the Empire out of the only planet destroyer.... but the first order was aligned with the Emperor for all of (according to this film) 16 hours, had a hierarchy independent of him, and literally needed exactly one Star Destroyer to escape to have planet destroying capabilities, when they were already winning before? I don’t get how this would be that big of blow when it was basically just a gift power boost to the First Order

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post

-So Jedi can heal horrific fatal wounds but nobody thought to do that with Qui Gon, or Anakin’s hand?

-Han who has no force powers talks to Kylo instead of his mother who was legit trained by a Jedi who knew astral projection? Like literally Leia was about to die anyways and they can’t just do the one thing that makes the most sense to get Ford in the movie?
    It's only one line, so everyone can be forgiven for missing it, but the Force healing power comes at a cost. When Rey heals the serpent, she says she gave up some of her life, and moved it as Force energy to the creature. This implies that healing more serious injuries is more expensive, and mortal wounds would be costly indeed.

In fact, both times in the film that a mortal wound is healed by Force healing someone else dies. When Ben heals Rey at the end, he is giving his own life to do so. And when Rey heals Ben on the Death Star wreckage... Leia dies. Leia gave up what was left of herself to save her son.

Which might actually be why she can't fade into the Force until Ben dies, if you follow it to it's logical conclusion.

As for Han, ignoring for a second that Leia has already stepped up for Ben in this sequence as noted above, it is the guilt over Han's death that is has been driving Ben for two films now. It almost has to be Han. For Ben to come to terms with what he did, why he did it, and accept that it was wrong is critical. But so, almost perversely, is forgiving himself for it. Only Han can give that closure.