Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Homage is lost on today's youth.
    ...Gazing into twin sunsets, The ability for people to tell the difference between a homage and just stealing, the "Avatar State" introduced in Nickelodeon's The Last Airbender and eventually baby yoda and if time permits some Mandalorian stuff because those are the only cool things she hasn't managed to steal yet. She won't take a jetpack because she can already float so it's only a matter of time before she starts flying.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-13-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Fantastic Member

Huge SW fan since I was a little kid & first saw ANH back in May '77. And, I saw TROS recently, and loved it. Overall an excellent film, and a great ending to the Sequel Trilogy. I will definitely need to watch it again to fully appreciate the film (will wait for the Blu-ray), since - as with all SW fims - it was a lot to take in.

I really liked having Palaptine coming back - definitely the most evil & creepy villain in all of the SW films, and bringing him back in TROS tied this film to both the PT & the OT. I always felt that Palpatine was a fantastic bad guy - especially as he was seen at the end of ROTS & in ROTJ. His inclusion in the film elevated the movie to a great extent. Well done.

This third film is making me appreciate TFA & TLJ even more. I.e., prior to seeing TROS I was somewhat luke-warm towards these first two ST films. Sure, I felt they were OK - but they didn't pull me in as much as I would have liked. I felt that the character designs re: the new Imperials/other characters were somewhat lack-luster, and I felt Snoke was a weak/bland villain.

However, now that I've seen TROS & it's been obvious that Palpatine has been "pulling the strings" re: Snoke & some of the other Imperials in the first two films - I'm now enjoying the ST much more. Plus, they brought in much more interesting-looking characters (Imperials & others) in this last film.

This is obviously similar to the way the Emperor was mentioned/referred to in ANH & ESB (and seen in a hologram in Empire), but not actually seen in person until ROTJ.

To me, the Emperor is THE #1 villain in the SW galaxy, and it's great to see how his presence was felt in the PT, the OT, and now the ST - well-played, Lflm./Disney.

Several points about the Emperor's return in TROS:

-As a huge fan of the SW EU, I completely agree that Disney/Lflm. is pulling from those comics/books to a limited extent, including: Having one of Leia/Han's children go over to the dark side; having Luke start a training facility for young Jedi (as referenced in TFA); having the Emperor return from the dead as a clone, etc. That being said, a lot of details are changed - but the plot-points are similar. The fact that Disney/Lflm. has said that this earlier EU isn't "canon" is irrelevant, since it's obvious they pulled these ideas from the earlier material.

-If the Emperor could survive ROTJ by cloning/magic/dark science/etc., I also completely agree that he could survive his 'death' in TROS. I.e., if it's the Emperor's 'spirit' that survived ROTJ and got 'resurrected' in TROS, then there's nothing to say that this can't happen again - at a later time. Going along with this, I suspect the reason Palpatine was encouraging both Luke (in ROTJ) and Rey (in TROS) to kill him was because he wasn't afraid to die, since he knew he would/could be resurrected later. And, he knew that their giving into their hate for him would further turn them to the dark side - which is one of his main goals in these films.

Shifting gears, I also really liked many other elements in this film:

-Great speeder chase (in the desert) between the heroes & the Imperials; really liked how the Jet Troopers flew off the back of the speeders, causing the speeders to temporarily rise up, before falling back down.

-Excellent fight scene when Kylo Ren went after Rey (on foot) while he was in the modified?! TIE FIghter, and she jumped up & cut it down with a lightsaber.

-The scene when Rey destroyed the Imperial ship that she thought had Chewie onboard was very dramatic....but I never thought he was on the ship. So, I was not surprised that he survived, and had to be later rescued by the heroes.

This slightly reminded me of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) when Indiana Jones mistakenly thought he had blown up the truck that carried Marion Ravenwood (in one of the baskets), only to find her alive later. In fact, this Rey/Chewie plot-point seemed like a homage to this sequence in ROTLA.

-I was not surprised by Ren's redemption in this film; I kind of saw it coming in TLJ.

-Very cool new Imperials, including the Red-armored troopers, Jet Troopers, modified?! Emperor's Royal Guards, etc.

-It was great to see Lando Calrissian (BDW) make a return in the film.

-Also nice to see iconic X-wing Fighter pilot Wedge Antilles (Denis Lawson) make a brief cameo, though he wasn't flying an X-wing this time.

-Great sequence when the Emperor used his force lightning to attack the Rebellion/New Republic ships - very well-done.

-Re: the ending, very cool to see Cloud City, The moon of Endor w/Ewoks, and Jawas w/the Sandcrawler - it reminded me of the 1997 revised ending of ROTJ, showing the different OT locations.

-Nice to see the ghosts of Luke & Leia looking on Rey with approval at the end of the film; nice homage to the ending of ROTJ as well.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 01-15-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Yeah, both the Chewie fake-out and to a lesser extent the quicksand did remind me a bit of the Indiana Jones films, although as pointed out, the audience discovers Chewie is still alive before the characters do; however with Marion we don't find out until Indy does. Plus the Mandalorian vs. Sandcrawler scene from Mandalorian seemed like an obvious homage as well (Filoni, who worked on the series, is a major Indiana Jones fan).

Wedge was using the Millenium Falcon quad guns first seen in the first movie and of course used again in the Disney films (There was some stuff with Rebels using them in ROTJ but it was cut out). One thing that kind of bugged me a bit is that the Aftermath and Resistance Reborn novels have Snap as sort of a stepson to Wedge. Wonder if they'll bring this up in the novelization or anything that follows 9 in the timeline.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Rumors seem to state that the Blu-ray is going to be released on Tuesday March 31st. That's also the same day the delayed art book is supposed to come out.

Can't wait.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It's been confirmed along with the UHD saga box set. I'm guessing the UHD transfers are probably the same ones Disney+ is using.

Now that I've seen this movie a couple of times, I'm thinking how awesome it would have been for this Star Wars fan to see more of the Sith home planet on the big screen. Sure, the new Star Destroyer armada was a sight to behold. But there was no buildup. And, to take this further, expand on Palpatine's resurrection/escape from death.

The Rise of Skywalker wrap-up could have been told in 2 parts. There is no cosmic law saying that "there is always 3" referring to trilogy movie arcs. I'm of course alluding to the Sith Rule of 2. If the final segment of the Harry Potter saga can be done in 2 parts, so could the Skywalker's.

Yeah, the reveal that Rey is a Palpatine was a good one. It might not have been possible to keep that under wraps if ROS was a 2-parter. Despite the film's length, it felt rushed in several places.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

As a side note, and a bit tongue and cheek:

I loved Weird Al Yankovic growing up. Two of his best songs highlighted the first two trilogies. "Yoda", a parody of "Lola" is a classic. As is "The Saga Begins" which is a take-off of "American Pie".

With the latest trilogy finished, we are due for another musical parody. What famous song can Weird Al adapt to highlight the latest trilogy?
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's been confirmed along with the UHD saga box set. I'm guessing the UHD transfers are probably the same ones Disney+ is using.
    So, the Malunky cut it is, then?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think this is the only Star Wars movie where we're kind of given a measurement of time-the whole movie lasts less than a day, as Poe says the deadline until the fleet launches is 16 hours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think this is the only Star Wars movie where we're kind of given a measurement of time-the whole movie lasts less than a day, as Poe says the deadline until the fleet launches is 16 hours.
    TLJ has the 18 hour Space Chase that everyone continues to treat seriously even as multiple ships jump in and jump out without being followed. And that’s apparently enough time for Rey to get over all the horrible stuff Kylo’s done and want to become his abused girlfriend... which TROS then follows through on.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

Hi guys, just like to say this will be my last post on CBR, I joined for X Men, but stopped reading them years ago, and I no longer have the same affection for Star Wars. Thanks to everyone I've interacted with, and for the happy birthday wishes every year.
    All the best.

Pretty good vid :

No scene, just plot.

Anybody notice that the Luke and Leia training helmets were modified A-wing helmets? Just an interesting nod I thought. Luke's original training helmet was sort of a variation on the X-wing design seen later in the film, of course. The ones seen in AOTC were intended for the Jedi starfighter, but apparently Ewan Mcgregor looked so silly in it that they ditched it.

At least an helmet would have hidden that atrocius haircut of his in attack of the clones.