Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    This movie was bad, like astonishingly so:

The script is weak even by SW standards, it's a mediocre 90's video game plot essentially.

Oh men, this is devastating to hear again. I have seen many people on YouTube and imdb reviews saying the movie's plot played out like video game story mode. if this is true, then the script has to be beyond atrocious.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-21-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Oh men, this is devastating to hear again. I have seen many people on YouTube and imdb reviews saying the movie's plot played out like video game story mode. if this is true, then the script has to be beyond atrocious.
    Well it had what? Four credited story writers on it? (5 if you believe the rumour Lucas gave some input). Be fun trying to determine who was responsible for which.

Mighty Member

Terrible disappointment.
    Visually stunning but completely without heart and soul. I found the ending depressing beyond belief, but I'm a Reylo fan so that goes without saying.
    But I thought Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson and Kelly Tran were horribly treated.
    New characters were introduced only to disappear after five minutes.
    Palpatine's return was completely botched.
    Rey became the Mary Sue the haters insisted she was (how happy they must be now).
    All flash no substance. The editing was all over the place.
    The whole film came across as Disney simply getting rid of the Skywalkers so they could go ahead with their multi million spin offs like the new theme park. There were some great moments, but lost in the bad ones.

And frankly I'm heartily sick of Poe Dameron. Huge disappointment.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    It was a mediocre mess full of pandering fan service topped off by a return which was poorly explained, IMO. I've elaborated on my problems with this movie in other threads (and in real life) so much I've got nothing left. I'm exhausted.
    Thank you for putting simply how I feel.
    It isn't TLJ that needed retconning.

The pacing, as everyone has said, is far too quick for the first hour, but I did enjoy this one. I had very low expectations as I was massively disappointed with TLJ, so it was a pleasant surprise to come out of this one happy.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

1. It was a very BUSY movie. I can't remember any other STAR WARS films where there were so many different things going on both parallel and in sequence to each other. It was kind of breathless, though I liked it that way.

2. C3PO seemed to (metaphorically) grow some balls this movie. For the first time, I felt he had an independent conscience rather simply serve as a loyal follower.

3. First and only STAR WARS movie so far to not feature any characters consuming food or drink (yeah, I notice oddball details like that).

4. "42 years" Easter Egg at that festival.

5. It ends where it began: Lars homestead, Tatooine.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Well it had what? Four credited story writers on it? (5 if you believe the rumour Lucas gave some input). Be fun trying to determine who was responsible for which.
    these are some of the YouTube reviews that directly call the movie ''like a video game''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsjw7bkq1HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RepMk502FTI&t=629s

The movie seems to have only 2 credited writers. JJ Abrams and Chris Terrio. the video game comparison is very bad, I mean there is a reason why most and if not all video games films never get any good word of mouth. Anyway, I will be seeing the movie in about 2 hours. I am going in with low expectations.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-21-2019 at 04:21 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    He's Force sensitive. He's trying to tell her that he can feel the Force, as seen after she finished Palpatine and he feels her collapse.

He probably wants to be her apprentice.
    I think it more like he is strong or at least semi-strong in the force. There has been hints thoughtful the series.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    spoilers:
    It's basically just a scavenger hunt plot for most of it, go here to find this to take you here to find this and so on.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

The only part of Star Wars that reminded me of video games is one moment that feels like an Uncharted puzzle (you'll know it when you see it) but that also reminded me of Indiana Jones, because again a lot of games (and not just Uncharted) are inspired by Indiana Jones movies.

Rey started as a Scavenger way back in TFA so having a plot that has her going into ruins and stuff fits her character thematically.

The feel of a treasure hunt story on top of that, makes it resemble a video game simply because treasure hunt plots are a new thing for Star Wars, and video games regardless of genre tend to overuse them (i mean treasure chests and so on are common collectible icons across all games).

Ultimate Member

It was an incredibly boring plot and lazy as all get out.

Ultimate Member

Funny enough, I'd heard so many terrible things that I was expecting a train wreck. But I actually really enjoyed the movie. It was very fast and very choppy but it was a rollicking good time IMHO.

Extraordinary Member

The more I think about it, the more I think I was too generous in my initial assessment even with all my criticism. It's a bad movie with a couple of cool action moments but no emotion to carry the already terrible plot.

This article reveals who all the Jedi voices were. I don't know how accurate it is.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...r-jedi-voices/

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    This article reveals who all the Jedi voices were. I don't know how accurate it is.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film...r-jedi-voices/
    Still a pity not using the actor but the VA in TCW.