Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 372
  1. #61
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Just saw it again. While I do see the flaws, I still enjoyed it. The story was all over the place, the editing was wonky for the first third of the movie, but the performances were good. And I'm glad they were able to give Carrie Fisher a proper send off.

    That being said, can we all agree that JJ Abrams is an tremendously overrated director. He's great a visually telling a story, but with everything else, he sucks. The guys should just be a DP and leave the real directing to people with talent.

    Also, it is now painfully obvious that there was never an outline drawn up for these three movies. If they had made a set outline of who the characters are, where the started from and where they were going to end up, and if they had created the bare bones of a cohesive narrative, this trilogy could have been so much better. As it is, it feels like JJ created a story full of his f'ing mystery boxes, and either didn't tell Rian his thoughts on what should come next, or he did and Rian just ignored him, and then JJ tried to bring it back to the story he wanted to tell. In either case, while some blame has to go to both directors, I'm putting the bulk of the blame on Kathleen Kennedy and Disney. They royally screwed the pooch, and the only person to come out looking good in this whole mess is George Lucas, because suddenly the Prequels are looking a whole lot better.

    Also- I wonder if they are trying to set up future movies focusing on Finn and those other former Storm Troopers becoming Jedi. It sounded to me like all of those who deserted did so because they felt the Force.

    I also loved the fact that the last thing we see Lando doing is picking up a lady. Some things never change.

    And hey- they didn't kill Lando! I guess because Leia died, they didn't need to kill two original cast members in this movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The only part of Star Wars that reminded me of video games is one moment that feels like an Uncharted puzzle (you'll know it when you see it) but that also reminded me of Indiana Jones, because again a lot of games (and not just Uncharted) are inspired by Indiana Jones movies.
    It's funny you bring up Indiana Jones. At the end, when Rey turns Palpatine's lightning back on his face, when it started burning away I was getting flashbacks to Raiders when they opened the Ark.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The Sith probably have some Dark Side Force power that enabled them to alter their appearance to be as attractive as they desired or needed.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    He probably influenced the Midichlorians to create life in some woman, probably from Tattooine.


    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Luke was in no way a Mary Sue.

    - Ben had to save him at the cantina
    - He struggled with a training droid
    - Vader almost shot Luke down if it wasn't for Han
    - His father handed his a$$ to him in a duel
    - Luke made his share of mistakes

    Luke was able to fly an X-Wing because the movie already established several times he had experience as a pilot

    Now we have Rey

    - Flies the Falcon against TIE Pilots (Even Rey said she had no experience as a pilot)
    - Resists mind control
    - Uses Mind Control
    - Telekenisis
    - Never picked up a lightsaber and beats Kylo Ren
    - Zero mistakes
    (All this happens in the first movie)

    And No, people aren't attacking Rey because of her gender. She's in no way some breakthrough sci-fi heroine

    Captain Kathryn Janeway: Studied at Starfleet, served as a Science Officer before being promoted to Captain. Definitely made her share of mistakes
    Ahsoka Tano: Trained at the temple and with Plo Kloon before joining Anakin. Had some wreckless moments (her Master wasn't exactly the stern type)

    Now you have Rey: She does all this crap after hearing the force is real

    Rey is a Mary Sue. Skills out of nowhere, no mistakes. Even revealing her lineage doesn't make this character interesting. Wasn't Anakin or Luke that defeated the Emperor to bring balance to the force. Of course, its Rey.
    Okay, just having rewatched TFA-

    Rey said she never flew the Falcon before. I don't recall her ever saying she never flew at all. I know she stayed on the planet, but it felt like she had some piloting skills- probably from her speeder. Kind of like how Anakin could suddenly fly a starfighter after only ever having piloted Podracers in Episode I.

    Her innate use of the Force- again, Anakin did the same things to a degree in Episode I. He used the Force for Podracing. As for Rey's ability to use all of those abilities- well, I chalk that up to her being Poppa Palpatine's Granddaughter. Of course she'll be strong in the Force, and of course she'll start using abilities that she never had before.

    Rey beating Kylo... sigh. Kylo had just killed his father, and then had been shot in the side. He was wounded and distracted. Also, Finn got a shot in on him first before Rey got the lightsaber.

    And Rey did make mistakes, just not many of them. She did let loose the Rathtars on Han's ship.. but yeah, that seems to be the only real mistake I can think of in the first movie.

  2. #62
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    The script gave them personality, not the VA.
    That is the most ri-goddam-diculous thing I've ever heard. A script is just words. It's the people who speak those words, who give tone and inflection to dialogue, that gives it personality. And I'm sorry- those actors who showed up for 30 seconds in the Prequels 20 years ago never said one word. It was the voice actors who brought those characters to a more fully-realized life on the cartoons that would be recognized by the fans.

  3. #63
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    212

    Default

    I thought the movie was okay, though it felt like the characters were doing fetch quests through a lot of it. My other complaint is that it seemed like every time something that should some dramatic weight or consequences got undone in the very next scene.

  4. #64
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    That is the most ri-goddam-diculous thing I've ever heard. A script is just words. It's the people who speak those words, who give tone and inflection to dialogue, that gives it personality. And I'm sorry- those actors who showed up for 30 seconds in the Prequels 20 years ago never said one word. It was the voice actors who brought those characters to a more fully-realized life on the cartoons that would be recognized by the fans.
    No, the script makes the character, the actors/VA's work is to make sure how much of it could be delivered. There are some good surprises, but script is the most important thing.

    PT Mon Mothma is also mostly a background character in movie since their scenes were cut, but they still let Genevieve O'Reilly reprise her role and didn't even use her TCW VA.

  5. #65
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    887

    Default

    Those actors couldn't do a line because they weren't given the chance to do so, it was the chance to fulfill.

  6. #66
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    No, the script makes the character, the actors/VA's work is to make sure how much of it could be delivered. There are some good surprises, but script is the most important thing.

    PT Mon Mothma is also mostly a background character in movie since their scenes were cut, but they still let Genevieve O'Reilly reprise her role and didn't even use her TCW VA.
    The script is not most important thing. It won't mean a thing without the actor breathing life into it. The VA add the tone, the nuisances, the weight. Words on a sheet of paper can't do that.

  7. #67
    Mighty Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    I saw it today, and I did very much enjoy it. Much better than the last movie.

    I want someone to redo the Rey ocean scene with the theme from Moana though.
    The one alien with the big eyes annoys me, I don't know why. And any idea what she gave Chewbacca and why I should care?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

    Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

  8. #68
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker: What did you think (spoilers)

    I finally saw the movie yesterday, I wanted to take some time to reflect. Oh boy, I would have to say this is the worst star wars movie of the main 9 films. it felt like a very generic superhero movie or worse. It was very disappointing. I have never seen a star wars movie this poorly done, the movie had no story, the characters had no arcs, the villain is corny and terrible.

    The movie had action non stop, the music is all over the place, the force is now basically a magic that can do anything, many useless fan fiction plot points and fan services, the ending made no sense, the final battle was really cheesy, everything is soulless and of convenience. Yes, Rey is a Mary sue at this point like Michael Burnham from star trek, there is no more way I can spin it. Rey is a god, she can even give Wonder Woman a run for her money, basically jedis can fly, heal now and teleport weapons, which does not make any sense since attack of the clones and phantom menace shows that to be impossible.

    I can't believe JJ Abrams made this movie. the movie feels more like the Disney cooperate shareholders made the film to wrap this trilogy up and get it over it. its just a very disappointing movie, The Last Jedi is better.My grading will be a 5/10 or a C-. Star Wars is so over. this did not feel like star wars at all.


    My final star wars films ranking of the main 9 films.

    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. A new Hope
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. Phantom Menace
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. The Force Awakens
    9. Rise of Skywalker

    I made peace with star wars a long time ago that this new movies are just bad and are not cannon, so no need to get worked up over them as a fan, however when you still see more bad star wars, it still hurts.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-22-2019 at 01:30 AM.

  9. #69
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    The movie was very disappointing, generic and terrible. It is the worst star wars films and one of the worst science fiction movies based on story telling.

  10. #70
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,310

    Default

    Saw it tonight. I didn't hate it and had fun watching it in a vaccum. But as soon as you start thinking criticaly the movie falls apart for me. I mean I'm not a huge star wars fan. I've seen every movie and the shows but I dont have the reverence for the Orignal trilogy most people do. I mean I like them but I never thought they were amazing or were even great stories. Its more the world and the ideas Lucas came up with that I find interesting then the plots of any of the movies.

    Anyway I was never 100% sure what the force can and cant do. But this movie left me way more confused.

    Was Snoke a clone of The Emperor? Cause hes in a Vat of fluid at the Emperors cult club house and they mentioned dark sith science of cloning or some crap in the movie.

    Can everyone sense the force or are they suggesting that Fin is force sensative?

    The Emperors orginal plan, so if Rey killed him.... He was gonna posses her body and take over? Why didnt he just do that anyway. Ugh chalk it up to more things regarding the force I dont understand. Apparently you can posses someone against they're will.

    I hope they change time periods after this to a time when Jedi existed in larger numbers and nothing ties us to the Skywalkers. I enjoyed The force awakens but the last two movies had too many issues.

    Well I still got the season finale of the Mandalorian and I'm loving that show.

  11. #71
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    It was a great Star Wars movie to me.The force was for sure in Star Wars:Ryse of the Skywalker.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    I finally watched Star Wars:Rise of Skywalker in 3-D and Imax and was for sure a great movie.
    Enjoyed it a lot.I was not disapointed with this movie even with the importance this movie have as being the episode 9 of the Star Wars movies.

  13. #73
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I finally saw the movie yesterday, I wanted to take some time to reflect. Oh boy, I would have to say this is the worst star wars movie of the main 9 films. it felt like a very generic superhero movie or worse. It was very disappointing. I have never seen a star wars movie this poorly done, the movie had no story, the characters had no arcs, the villain is corny and terrible.

    The movie had action non stop, the music is all over the place, the force is now basically a magic that can do anything, many useless fan fiction plot points and fan services, the ending made no sense, the final battle was really cheesy, everything is soulless and of convenience. Yes, Rey is a Mary sue at this point like Michael Burnham from star trek, there is no more way I can spin it. Rey is a god, she can even give Wonder Woman a run for her money, basically jedis can fly, heal now and teleport weapons, which does not make any sense since attack of the clones and phantom menace shows that to be impossible.

    I can't believe JJ Abrams made this movie. the movie feels more like the Disney cooperate shareholders made the film to wrap this trilogy up and get it over it. its just a very disappointing movie, The Last Jedi is better.My grading will be a 5/10 or a C-. Star Wars is so over. this did not feel like star wars at all.


    My final star wars films ranking of the main 9 films.

    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. A new Hope
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. Phantom Menace
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. The Force Awakens
    9. Rise of Skywalker

    I made peace with star wars a long time ago that this new movies are just bad and are not cannon, so no need to get worked up over them as a fan, however when you still see more bad star wars, it still hurts.
    The movies are canon. 100%. And how is Rey like Michael Burnham?

    They are so different it’s not funny. Particularly after this movie. Kylo and Rey have a special connection, it was explained in the movie, what they do regarding each other is peculiar to them.

    And where did Jedi fly in the movie?? Doesn’t sound like you’ve seen the movie at all. Or Star Trek at all.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-22-2019 at 05:13 AM.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  14. #74
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,186

    Default

    Anyway, I enjoyed the movie but opinions are all over the place.

    Star Wars is a funny thing, peoples opinions on them change over time. The biggest mistake Disney made was:

    1. Don’t always listen to what audiences say. The sequel trilogy was made with the mindset that they were going to move as far away from the prequels as possible because of the complaints. When they did this, people screamed it wasn’t Star Wars. They then course corrected and made Rise of Skywalker as a direct response to the divisiveness of the Last Jedi. That isn’t how to do it, for good or for bad, The Last Jedi has moved things in an entirely different direction, Lucasfilm should have continued on that path. I hated the Last Jedi but I also don’t want to be pandered to.

    2. Lucasfilm should have laid out a road map for the movies. When it’s all said and done, the only major thing the sequel trilogy accomplished was kill off the original protagonists without necessarily expanding the mythology. Granted TROS pulled in the most stuff from the EU (force heal, force life drain etc), it came a little too late into the movies.

    3. The characters were kind of wasted. There was rich story telling potential with a force sensitive storm trooper that moved to the light and the grand daughter of Palpatine being trained by Jedi Masters (if that was the original story) but The Last Jedi pretty much threw all that away and had Finn carry out a meaningless and pointless quest and Rey just seemed confused for majority of the movies because so much about her was kept a mystery until TROS. The characters weren’t allowed to grow organically and it hurt the story IMO. Yes, Rey is a Palpatine and got what looked like full training but she was still overpowered, she was basically god mode at the end (I guess the “I am all the Jedi was somehow literal).
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-22-2019 at 05:28 AM.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  15. #75
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The movies are canon. 100%. And how is Rey like Michael Burnham?

    They are so different it’s not funny. Particularly after this movie. Kylo and Rey have a special connection, it was explained in the movie, what they do regarding each other is peculiar to them.

    And where did Jedi fly in the movie?? Doesn’t sound like you’ve seen the movie at all. Or Star Trek at all.
    Usually I don't like people hand picking Canon but given we already had this era of the Star Wars Timeline as Canon that was approved by George Lucas himself and Disney not George erased that I think fans are allowed to treat Legends as Canon and Disney's Sequels as Corporate Funded Fan Fiction and vice versa if you like the sequels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •