Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    As long as titans given their due. Otherwise, Earth-1985 isn't different from main earth. I mean, what is so Different? A more powerful and true man of tomorrow superman who is predominantly kal el. That's it.
    We also have Barbara Gordon never having suffered TKJ, Batman not being an absolute douchebag, Kara and Barry never dying, Diana and Steve potentially being married, and Donna Troy and the Hawks not being continuity nightmares.

The main drawback of this Earth is that it's even more white-centric than now. But from a continuity and character stand point, it could be a breath of fresh air for a lot of these characters.

I don't know: John Stewart as Green Lantern; Vibe, Vixen, and Gypsy in the Justice League; the possibility of Nubia taking a more prominent role in the Wonder Woman mythos… There are possibilities for Earth-1985 to remain true to its roots and still be less “white-centric”.

After all, this is building more off of the Bronze Age DCU than the Silver Age DCU; and the Bronze Age DCU was DC's forward experiment with socially conscious comics. So if angling for more diversity is your thing, you should have a lot to work with on Earth-1985.

That said, it's not Earth-D.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I don't know: John Stewart as Green Lantern; Vibe, Vixen, and Gypsy in the Justice League; the possibility of Nubia taking a more prominent role in the Wonder Woman mythos… There are possibilities for Earth-1985 to remain true to its roots and still be less “white-centric”.

After all, this is building more off of the Bronze Age DCU than the Silver Age DCU; and the Bronze Age DCU was DC's forward experiment with socially conscious comics. So if angling for more diversity is your thing, you should have a lot to work with on Earth-1985.

This is true, Bronze Age is definitely preferable than the Silver Age as far as this goes. But there still isn't as much to work with as the post-COIE era and beyond, and adding any of those characters and elements into this Earth would defeat the purpose of it being pre-COIE Earth-1 essentially as it would just start to resemble what came afterward.

Vibe would have to resemble his New 52 self, and Gypsy has always needed a new name.

BANNED

Clutter Earth characters from Earth S, X, 4, 6 etc most likely don't exist on Earth 1985.

Still possible some post crisis characters could exist on Earth 1985. Certain legacy characters like Tim Drake or Kon-El could exist.

Except the ones who existed pre crisis on Earth 8 wouldn't exist on Earth 1985 like Kyle, Helena Bertinelli , Breach, Jason Rusch.

Earth-1985 doesn't need to be pure, 100% Earth 1 and nothing else, just like Roy Thomas' Earth-2 wasn't pure, 100% Golden Age DCU (his All-Star Squadron included a number of Golden Age heroes that were originally from other publishing houses). For Earth-1985, I don't think that it would be a problem if you were to, say, integrate characters unique to the Super Friends TV show. I wouldn't bother with Black Vulcan, as you already have Black Lightning on Earth-1; but the size-changing Apache, the wind-manipulating Japanese samurai, and the magic-wielding Mexican (El Dorado?) would be reasonable additions, I think. Also, while I believe that Isis was technically an Earth-S native (she was originally introduced to the comics in an issue of Shazam!), I could be wrong; and even if I'm right, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to put her on Earth-1985.

In fact: instead of disbanding “Justice League Detroit”, I think I'd like to see Earth-1985 keep them and expand the roster with the likes of Firestorm, Isis, and the Superfriends heroes I cited above. Also include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman to give it a dash of the classic roster, and point out that the team has a bunch of reservists who can be called upon as needed (e.g., Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Atom, Elongated Man, Hawkwoman, Black Canary, Zatanna, etc. — anyone who has ever been in either the Satellite JLA or the original JLA).
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Clutter Earth characters from Earth S, X, 4, 6 etc most likely don't exist on Earth 1985.

Still possible some post crisis characters could exist on Earth 1985. Certain legacy characters like Tim Drake or Kon-El could exist.

Except the ones who existed pre crisis on Earth 8 wouldn't exist on Earth 1985 like Kyle, Helena Bertinelli , Breach, Jason Rusch.
    “pre-Crisis Earth 8” was an Infinite Crisis notion that, as explained by its creator, was supposed to be the world of origin for every character that DC introduced after the Crisis.

As much as I like Tim Drake and Kon-El, I wouldn't put them on Earth-1985. I'd rather play up the pre-Crisis Jason Todd (who would be very different from the current Red Hood Jason Todd, a point that I'd emphasize further); and if Tim Drake shows up at all, it should strictly be as a fanboy of Batman and Robin. Likewise, there might be a Kyle Rayner on Earth-1985; but if so, he never gets anywhere near a power ring.

Basically, I think that Earth 1985 should include everyone from Earth One, but should emphasize those who were unique to Earth One.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-26-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Spectacular Member

Will DC really do anything with Earth-1985 or are they just saying it’s still out there somewhere? Personally, I would love to see new stories/series set here because the Pre-Crisis/Bronze Age characters are the ones I was introduced to and fueled my love for the DCU. In fact, let me throw out a pitch for a new “Super Powers” mini (or maxi) series and it has to be drawn by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez! That toy line was a mainstay of my childhood and was a good introduction to DC. Under the SP banner you can include pretty much all the DC characters.
    Last edited by The I.A.D.C.; 12-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.

BANNED

The SuperPowers Earth.

And there was the Challenge series which seemed to be on a different Earth.

Earth B was another similar Earth 1 copy but slightly different too.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm pretty sure if they ever did kill off Earth 1985 they'd have a violent revolt on their hands.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Someone should make Earth 2 and 52 threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    The SuperPowers Earth.

And there was the Challenge series which seemed to be on a different Earth.

Earth B was another similar Earth 1 copy but slightly different too.
    Earth-B was an ambiguous label that could refer to two different Earths: Earth-12 and Earth-32. Of particular note, Earth-32 is the official designation for the pre-Crisis Earth where most of the out-of-continuity events too place, possibly including the Super-Friends stuff. And although it was published post-Crisis, James Robinson's Golden Age is officially part of Earth-32 as well. If we're willing to consider Earth-32 as a possible Source for Earth-1985, we should at least consider the possibility of integrating Robinson's Golden Age into its past — with the understanding that Golden Age was their swan song and none of them are active in the modern era of Earth-1985. They'd only be available through time travel, and their only effect on the world would be their legacy: for instance, a version of Infinity Inc. might be around in the modern day.
    Rogue wears rouge.

BANNED

I don't think Earth 1985 has any Earth 2 characters.

Probably not; but if it does, this is how I'd include them. Basically, this would be along the lines of “Earth-1985 is the continuation of the post-Crisis merged DCU, but without any of the character reboots” notion — not a popular one around here, mind you; but it does have some things to recommend it.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post

Well, the original Earth-1 was suppose to have its own version of Captain Marvel (i.e. Captain Thunder), who was suppose to be an African-American kid named Wille Batson...

Mighty Member

So, with this Earth 1985, does that mean Roy is still Speedy? Or is he Arsenal? Are Dick Grayson and Wally still Robin and Kid Flash?