Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    As far as what Morrison wanted to do? Earth-33 was supposed to be us: the Real World where DC Comics is published and we the fans read them. That's why no one in Multiversity ever visits Earth-33; they just talk about how it affects everyone else. My view of things keeps most of that, save only that I don't try to slot us into Morrison's Orrery of Worlds. Instead, Earth-33 is a copy of our world — similar enough to us that we recognize ourselves in it, but different enough that it can serve as the homeworld of Superboy-Prime.

But as I said, the real Earth Prime isn't in the Orrery of Worlds; it sits outside the entire Multiversal structure and generates the Elseworlds. In the context of Metal and the subsequent Justice League run, think of it more like the Seventh Dimension, one step up even from the Sixth Dimension “control room” that the League visited, and the fuel for the World Forge. It's the ultimate power source for the entire Multiverse, the determiner of which worlds live and which worlds die.

And because it is us, actually visiting the real Earth Prime is impossible for comic book characters. The only direct interactions between Earth Prime and anyone in the DCU has been things like Morrison's Animal Man run, where the title character came to realize that he was a character in a comic book, developed the ability to see the reader, and ultimately ended up having a chat with the writer.

As you say, very meta.
    I agree with a lot of this. I don't like that Morrison made "our Earth" part of the Orrery, because it doesn't make much sense for the real world to be among DC's fictional ones.
    It should sit outside all known structures, generating DC's entire Multiverse, not just the Elseworlds. Everything is literally a product of Prime Earth.

Regarding Earth-1985, Earth-2 and the Doomsday Clock Earths, my head canon is the following:

Each major continuity reboot created a new Multiverse to preserve the former Multiverse's history.
    So there would actually be a bigger structure, an Omniverse that would be home to multiple clusters of Earths:

PRE-CRISIS MULTIVERSE
    Original Earth-1, 2, 3, 4, S, X and so on.

POST-CRISIS EARTH
    Not an actual Multiverse. Like in the original Post-Crisis Earth, this Universe would be the result of the merger of all previous Earths. It would be apart from all other universes, its Earth essentially being the last Earth known to its inhabitants.

NEW 52 MULTIVERSE
    Home to Earth-52, Earth-53 (its Earth-3), Earth-54 (its Earth-2) and all Earths closely derived from the New 52.

The METAVERSE would be the Multiverse that's constantly in flux, responsible for the creation of these mirror Multiverses.
    Every time a new reboot happens, most of the Earths gravitate toward the new version of the Metaverse. So essentially the "main" multiverse would look a lot like the Multiverse shown in Morrison's Multiversity, except its Earth-0, Earth-2 and Earth-3 would have relocated to their own Multiverse, being replaced by the main Earth and new (more classic) versions of Earth-2 and Earth-3.

I also think the Earth-1 from the OGNs line should be apart from all other Multiverses. I'd rename it something like Earth-α. Since it isn't a fully formed universe yet, it would be set apart from all other Earths like Post-Crisis.
    This way the main DCU Earth could be called Earth-1 again and the OGNs would still have a clear brand (DC Alpha, like DC's version of the Ultimate line).

I tend to agree with most of this, too: where the Elseworlds are largely a disorganized cloud of half-formed worlds, the Limbo dimensions are structured into “strata” that correspond to different eras of DC publication: the Golden Age, the Silver Age, the Bronze Age, etc., with the various “preserved worlds” being “fossils” in these “strata” waiting to be dug up and reinvigorated.

In terms of Earth-1985, this means that when the Crisis destroyed the Multiverse, it created a new stratum in Limbo preserving the Infinite Earths, not just the former Earth 1.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I tend to agree with most of this, too: where the Elseworlds are largely a disorganized cloud of half-formed worlds, the Limbo dimensions are structured into “strata” that correspond to different eras of DC publication: the Golden Age, the Silver Age, the Bronze Age, etc., with the various “preserved worlds” being “fossils” in these “strata” waiting to be dug up and reinvigorated.

In terms of Earth-1985, this means that when the Crisis destroyed the Multiverse, it created a new stratum in Limbo preserving the Infinite Earths, not just the former Earth 1.
    Cool! But I kind of dislike the use of "Limbo" because I actually want to see those Earths again LOL.
    I do agree these "multiverses" would be on the outskirts of the known Multiversity. I'd call them Outer Worlds or something similar.
    They'd be farther from the Orrery than the Multiversity Earths and thus would be largely unaffected by new Crisis and reboots.

Here's hoping we get a Multiverse anthology someday, or at least an Earth-2 or Post-Crisis mini from time to time.

The whole point of Limbo is that it is a place where characters, and in this expansion whole Worlds, that are no longer in continuity are preserved. Specifically, it includes the notion that they can be brought back out.

but it's also an acknowledgement that unless DC Comics does something with them, they might as well be dead.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

With an infinite multiverse back again, I don't see why you need to make a bunch of special rules for a pre-Crisis style universe to exist. Random odds would say there would be one out there like it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    With an infinite multiverse back again, I don't see why you need to make a bunch of special rules for a pre-Crisis style universe to exist. Random odds would say there would be one out there like it.
    Come on. We're comic fans. We love convoluted plots LOL.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Come on. We're comic fans. We love convoluted plots LOL.
    Sorry, your comments have just been erased from continuity. It's not that what you said is inaccurate,
    but because the first appearance of fanboys has been retconned to after you first made your comment.

However, you'll be happy to know that Buried Alien has now made your comment, but he was referring to the current the post-Covid fanbois, who are functionally the same as the old fanboys, except for when they first appeared... oh, and they call them Trekkers now instead of Trekkies.

See? Not complicated at all

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    However, you'll be happy to know that Buried Alien has now made your comment...
    I...did?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I...did?

That's because you're still in the temporal backwash from when Mekanique held back the effects of the continuity changes. You'll remember saying it in a few issues.

Also, you invented the CBR now. Sorry Jonah.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That's because you're still in the temporal backwash from when Mekanique held back the effects of the continuity changes. You'll remember saying it in a few issues.

Also, you invented the CBR now. Sorry Jonah.
    *Goes back in time to 1996; goes on dial-up Internet through Netscape and sees, "Buried Alien's Comic Book Resources."

*ulp*

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The odds of any one universe existing in an infinite set are zero.

And for what it's worth, it's not about rules being invented in order for a pre-Crisis universe to exist; it's about how or if the infinite worlds are organized — and thus how you go about navigating them.
    Rogue wears rouge.

All-New Member

I would like see Alex Ross working on this, he really love the period pre-Crisis and his works are spectacular.