Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Well, Bronze Era stories often referenced Silver Age stories (and often skipping the most "questionable" parts)
    For example:
    the "infamous" spanking of Lois Lane (from Lois Lane #14 - 1960)

and the same scene from DC Special Series 26 (1981)

Notice how Superman stops remembering just before the... well, you know right?
    If we're going to address the more problematic aspects of the pre-COIE stories and treat all of them as canon, we should also address Lois traveling back in time to Krypton's past so she could passionately kiss an infant Kal-El while he cries. Thus proving that she sort of deserved at least a little of the Superdickery aimed her way.

Basically they could all be flanderized assholes. Superman could be the biggest one, but he was in good company with his own cast, let alone the rest of the DCU. It was some weird **** written in the 50s and 60s. Seems an odd hill to want to die on.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If we're going to address the more problematic aspects of the pre-COIE stories and treat all of them as canon, we should also address Lois traveling back in time to Krypton's past so she could passionately kiss an infant Kal-El while he cries. Thus proving that she sort of deserved at least a little of the Superdickery aimed her way.

Basically they could all be flanderized assholes. Superman could be the biggest one, but he was in good company with his own cast, let alone the rest of the DCU. It was some weird **** written in the 50s and 60s. Seems an odd hill to want to die on.
    Yeah, Superman's far from alone in the "inappropriate behavior" category when it comes to the SA!
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Yeah, Superman's far from alone in the "inappropriate behavior" category when it comes to the SA!
    These people could often be terrible, but they were never boring!

I would totally watch a It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia style show revolving around the SA Superman cast where they are all just terrible people who never learn any lessons lol.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I would totally watch a It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia style show revolving around the SA Superman cast where they are all just terrible people who never learn any lessons lol.
    That sounds like the SEINFELD characters.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Here's some research into when exactly the cutoff points could be for DC 1985.

First here's a list of the comics published the month that Crisis on Infinite Earths began:

Action Comics #566
    All-Star Squadron #44
    America vs. the Justice Society #4 -mini-series
    Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld #4
    Arak, Son of Thunder #43
    Arion, Lord of Atlantis #30
    Atari Force #16
    Batman #382
    Batman and the Outsiders #20
    Best of DC #59 -reprint digest
    Blue Devil #11
    Camelot 3000 #12 -maxi-series
    Conqueror of the Barren Earth #3 -mini-series
    DC Comics Presents #80
    Detective Comics #549
    Flash #344
    Fury of Firestorm #34
    G.I. Combat #276
    Green Lantern #187
    Infinity, Inc. #13
    Jemm, Son of Saturn #8 -maxi-series
    Jonah Hex #90
    Jonni Thunder #2 -mini-series
    Justice League of America #237
    Legion of Super-Heroes #9
    New Teen Titans #7
    Omega Men #25
    Saga of the Swamp Thing #35
    Sgt. Rock #399
    Spanner's Galaxy #5 -mini-series
    Star Trek #13 -licensed property
    Sun Devils #10 -maxi-series
    Superman #406
    Superman Special #3 -special
    Superman: The Secret Years #3 -mini-series
    Talent Showcase #16 -out of continuity anthology
    Tales of the Legion #322
    Tales of the Teen Titans #52
    V #3 -licensed property
    Vigilante #16
    Warlord #92
    Who's Who #2 -maxi-series/reference
    Wonder Woman #324
    World's Finest Comics #314

And here are the last issues of comics before crossing over with COIE (using this list):

All-Star Squadron #49
    Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld #12
    Blue Devil #16
    DC Comics Presents #85
    Fury of Firestorm #40
    Green Lantern #193
    Infinity, Inc. #17
    Justice League of America #243
    Legion of Super-Heroes #17
    New Teen Titans #12
    Omega Men #30
    Saga of the Swamp Thing #45
    Superman #413
    Wonder Woman #326
    Thanks for the research, Lee.

I started looking at the old covers. Talk about a trip in the Way-back Machine.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That's nothing lois wanted jor el.she tried to make lara hair green, so that jor el and lara's date gets ruined. Unfortunately for her, it didn't work. She even kisses him using the darkness of the night as a cover. Jor el thinks its lara. Lara comes, finds lois kissing jor el. She slaps her. Guess what? Jor el chooses lois.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I can’t say i have. Thank you for the suggestion.
    It's quite interesting. It is very difficult to find (sometimes some copy pops up on Ebay) but there are scans of it on the web.

These people could often be terrible, but they were never boring!

I think you may have something there... Go on!

By the way, it isn't like the BA Superman cast was so much better.

Here, two intelligent, successful, adult women cat-fighting for a man.

Anyone who wrote this should be asham...

Err, never mind.
    Last edited by Zaku; 01-11-2020 at 03:05 AM.

BANNED

Looks fine to me.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Looks fine to me.

Well, you know, in the original version Lois and Lana started to making out immediately after this scene, but then the Comics Code Authority...

Well, you know, in the original version Lois and Lana started to making out immediately after this scene, but then the Comics Code Authority...
    lol. Damn CCA...

All-New Member

I was reading this excellent Timeline of Earth-1 and there is another appearance of the Super-Teacher which I missed where...

The Robot-Teacher from Krypton, invented by Jor-El to teach Kal-El how to properly use his super-powers on Earth, returns to Earth to force Supergirl to retire, convinced that females are unable to handle super-powers
    (from Adventure Comics #382, a story written, obviously, by Cary Bates).

Wow, Jor-El, how exactly did you program this robot..?
    Last edited by Zaku; 01-11-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I was reading this excellent Timeline of Earth-1 and there is another appearance of the Super-Teacher which I missed where...

(from Adventure Comics #382, a story written, obviously, by Cary Bates).

Wow, Jor-El, how exactly did you program this robot..?
    That explains a lot, actually! Geez, I thought Krypton was supposed to be this advanced society. Maybe it got hit by a meteor on the way to Earth or something scrabbles it's circuits.

I just went and looked it up and it was written in 1969 so maybe this was one of those poorly handled attempts at trying to be "topical" at the time.
    Last edited by superduperman; 01-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    Assassinate Putin!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That explains a lot, actually! Geez, I thought Krypton was supposed to be this advanced society. Maybe it got hit by a meteor on the way to Earth or something scrabbles it's circuits.

About Krypton as an "advanced" society, I don't know, it seems to me that its earth-1 version was depicted as a quite male-dominated one. I mean, this is the famous scene where Jor-El talks to the Science Council.

These are the most important people on Krypton. How many woman do you count?

And really, every time we meet a Kryptonian woman is always the mother of, the daughter of, the sister of... I struggle to remember any female Kryptonian character with any kind of agency.

And the only time we meet a strong, independent woman from Krypton?

Yes, Kal, it figures...

And think how Kryptonian surnames for women work: when they are maiden, they use the full father's name as a family name, then when they marry they take the husband's. It is probably only a legacy from when Kryptonian women were considered a man's property, but it is indicative that it survived until the destruction of the planet...

And don't forget the headbands, which symbolized the status of a free citizen. A status that only Kryptonian men could wear...
    Last edited by Zaku; 01-11-2020 at 10:39 AM.

BANNED

Supergirl....

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Supergirl....
    Are you referring to the headband she wore? It was added at the request of the producers of the 1984 Supergirl movie (who then decided to ditch the headband themselves). And it wasn't like there were any Kryptonians around who could have objected.