Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Earth 1985 - what would you like to see?

Doomsday Clock SPOILERS

For years there's been a fascination with the erstwhile Pre-Crisis Earth One - home of the Silver Age/Bronze Age DCU. For the longest time, DC claimed that Earth One basically became Post-COIE Earth/New Earth/Prime Earth after COIE. On and off, Pre-Crisis elements kept returning which reinforced the idea that we'd never see a 'pure' Earth One again. And the 'Earth One' name itself was taken for a series of unrelated OGN's.

But...with Doomsday ending and revealing that after COIE, Earth One spun off into Earth 1985, preserving those versions of the character - and given how DC now wants to focus more heavily on the 'legacy' aspect of the DCU, and the multiple generations, do you think Earth 1985 could show up in new comics? And if so, what would you like to see?

Here are a few of my random thoughts on the subject-

-A more balanced Jason Todd potentially becoming Batman.

-The New Teen Titans eventually growing into the role of the Justice League.

-Superman marrying Lana Lang rather than Lois Lane (just as a twist on the now-classic status quo).

-Wally West becoming the Flash with the blessing of a very-much alive Barry Allen, who retires with Iris and continues to serve as a mentor.

-Supergirl growing into the role of Superwoman.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Definitely would want to see ALL of that and more.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Definitely the New Teen Titans becoming the bigger team or taking over the Justoce League and I would LOVE to see a Katma and John adventure one more time.

Astonishing Member

I’d like for DC to treat it as a stand-alone entity. It can crossover with the other Pre-Crisis Earths, but no need to crossover with the modern DCU or Kingdom Come, Gotham By Gaslight etc.

I’d like them to treat the characters with dignity. No casually killing them off or turning heroes evil. The stories should have the same tone as the Pre-Crisis DC Universe, but written for a contemporary audience.

No repeating post-Crisis stories. Jason Todd doesn’t become a dick, doesn’t get murdered. No Doomsday or Bane or Tim Drake. No paranoid antisocial unstoppable Batman. Brand new stories that take advantage of the elements unique to the Pre-Crisis DCU and builds upon them.
    Last edited by Lee; 12-21-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

New Teen Titans will continue with Nightwing marrying Starfire. It's inevitable, what with no DC editorial breaking them up this time, and that did happen in the Convergence version. So that, and their Elseworld daughter, Nightfire

Dick will stay in New York with Starfire and the others

Jason Todd's story will continue as it was, him being jealous that Catwoman got all Batman's attention and teaming up with Harvey Bullock, the difference is there will be no Death in The Family because both of his biological parents were killed by Killer Croc. Incidentally, Killer Croc will be his nemesis, instead of them being amicable today because he sponsored Roy Harper's AA meeting.

Batman will continue to be happy with both Jason and Catwoman at his side.

Likewise, this version of Tim Drake will continue to be Dick Grayson, Batman, and Robin fans, but won't become Robin.

Alfred will continue to try be a father to his daughter, a reporter working with Vicki Vale

When did Killing Joke happen?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

One thing I'd definitely like to see is Aquaman coming to terms with the fact that Justice League Detroit is a failing experiment and disbanding the team realizing that so many new & inexperienced heroes cannot carry the weight of the Justice League in defending against large-scale threats. This leads to the formation of new JLA with a rotating cast of Aquaman, Batgirl, Blue Devil, Captain Comet, Dr. Light(Kimiyo Hoshi), Elongated Man, Firestorm, Green Lantern(John Stewart), Martian Manhunter, Supergirl, Vixen, and Zatanna.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Here's an idea: it will always be 1985, as a year-long version of "Ground Hog Day". No growing up or old, and the NTT will always be the sidekicks to the JL.

I'd like to see the pre-crisis DC world continuing just after the crisis. A fresh start without the disastrous tinkering of the last 30 odd years. (Of course they'd have to resurrect the original Huntress to keep me happy)
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I’d like for DC to treat it as a stand-alone entity. It can crossover with the other Pre-Crisis Earths, but no need to crossover with the modern DCU or Kingdom Come, Gotham By Gaslight etc.

I’d like them to treat the characters with dignity. No casually killing them off or turning heroes evil. The stories should have the same tone as the Pre-Crisis DC Universe, but written for a contemporary audience.

No repeating post-Crisis stories. Jason Todd doesn’t become a dick, doesn’t get murdered. No Doomsday or Bane or Tim Drake. No paranoid antisocial unstoppable Batman. Brand new stories that take advantage of the elements unique to the Pre-Crisis DCU and builds upon them.
    Yes, I think this would definitely be what allows such a universe to stand apart from the contemporary DCU.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Yes to both of these. Since DC keeps trying to scratch the Bronze age nostalgia itch with the iconic takes on the classic characters, this may be the rare case where trying to have it both ways may work out. Put this out there to appeal to those who want the Silver/Bronze age versions and didn't like all the continuity changes that followed, while other books explore legacies and more modern takes on the classic characters. Instead of only having one option that tries to do one or the other, twisting them both into something they are not and generally satisfying nobody.

I want the only two major teams on this Earth to be the JLA and the NTT. No JSA or Marvel family, etc. The Satellite league can continue to expand with more diverse members. The NTT will return back to when they were at their best and had the best team lineup and weren't derailed by lack of story ideas and baggage. Batman doesn't have to become an *******, Superman doesn't have to get nerfed and lose all his lore, Barry and Kara don't have to die, Babs doesn't have to get crippled, etc. I'd also like to see the marriage between Diana and Steve Trevor and Wonder Woman ditching the Diana Prince ID.

And the Hawks and Donna Troy would make sense again!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Doomsday Clock SPOILERS

For years there's been a fascination with the erstwhile Pre-Crisis Earth One - home of the Silver Age/Bronze Age DCU. For the longest time, DC claimed that Earth One basically became Post-COIE Earth/New Earth/Prime Earth after COIE. On and off, Pre-Crisis elements kept returning which reinforced the idea that we'd never see a 'pure' Earth One again. And the 'Earth One' name itself was taken for a series of unrelated OGN's.

But...with Doomsday ending and revealing that after COIE, Earth One spun off into Earth 1985, preserving those versions of the character - and given how DC now wants to focus more heavily on the 'legacy' aspect of the DCU, and the multiple generations, do you think Earth 1985 could show up in new comics? And if so, what would you like to see?

Here are a few of my random thoughts on the subject-

-A more balanced Jason Todd potentially becoming Batman.

-The New Teen Titans eventually growing into the role of the Justice League.

-Superman marrying Lana Lang rather than Lois Lane (just as a twist on the now-classic status quo).

-Wally West becoming the Flash with the blessing of a very-much alive Barry Allen, who retires with Iris and continues to serve as a mentor.

-Supergirl growing into the role of Superwoman.
    I want to see where Blond Jason's story would go, if he would share his black haired counterpart bad luck and tragic fate or not. Becoming Batman would be fun, and I get that he would fare better, having some kind of actual support by Dick and Bruce and Barbara, unlike our Jason.

I wonder, too, about Wally. And the Titans. And I wonder about the Justice League as a team to certain degree.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 12-21-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Here's an idea: it will always be 1985, as a year-long version of "Ground Hog Day". No growing up or old, and the NTT will always be the sidekicks to the JL.
    I think this is the best solution. Anything else,any development not seen in 1985 will be an elseworld.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

JLA:
    An event occurs (something on the level of a Crisis but not as severe as THE Crisis) that brings the Satellite League back together.
    The Satellite is rebuilt and improved in some way.
    A satellite is also built over Earth-2, circa 1985, for the JSA that links the two teams (see below).
    Vibe and Gypsy leave the League, Vixen and Steel remain.
    Mister Miracle and Big Barda join.
    Eventually becomes 'Justice League International'.

JSA:
    Most of the JSA have retired and have been replaced by the full membership of Infinity, Inc.
    Pretty much the same team as 'Justice Society Infinity', but without the 'Infinity' word in their name.
    They would just be the 'Justice Society' when they start out. The same team that began in the '40s.
    However, once JLA becomes JLI, they do take the full name of 'Justice Society Infinity', so they're referred to as JSI.
    Annual JLI/JSI team-ups resume.

The Titans:
    Nightwing, Wonder Girl, Starfire, Cyborg, Raven, Changeling, Jericho.
    Nightwing, Cyborg, Starfire and Wonder Girl are offered membership in the new Satellite League but refuse to join, instead choosing to remain with their friends in The Titans. As a result, The Titans are added as an auxiliary team of the League.

The Outsiders:
    The team continues on without Batman.
    They also refuse to join the League and also refuse to be an auxiliary team of the League.
    Shortly after, the team is reportedly killed by Kobra.
    In truth, they fake their deaths so they can operate underground, becoming true outsiders.
    Nightshade and Nemesis join.

The Legion:
    Not messing with a good thing.
    In hindsight, though, I would let Supergirl be believed to be dead for a while.
    If only not to mess with the original stories.
    I would have her return a year after The Magic Wars to be the one to reunite the Legion.
    This way all of the '80s Levitz Legion gets to stay in continuity.
    And their inevitable return would be based on hope (as Supergirl would represent) instead of despair.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-21-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

No legacy or clutter earth stuff.

Astonishing Member

I'd like to see progress from where they left off without trying to cater to what they think readers want out of it. I still very much want to be able to be surprised by what I'm reading despite the very familiar trappings.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.