Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Roy is still Speedy, Wally is still Kid Flash, Donna is still Wonder Girl, AND Garth is still Aqualad; but Dick is Nightwing and Jason is Robin — at least, that's how they are in 1985. If we advance the timeline five years, that may change; but I'd be against the New Teen Titans upgrading their identities as they did on the post-Crisis Earth. (I also wouldn't go more than five years, specifically to keep them young enough that codenames like Kid Flash, Wonder Girl, and Aqualad aren't that absurd.)
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Guess Luthor remains the criminal scientist in the superpowered armor and Brainiac remains a Skelebot.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Mighty Member

With these new earths are they expected to be ongoings? That way everyone gets to read what they want. Which is cool. Those who prefer current and 5G can read it, the 1985 and the other earths.

BANNED

I’d rather see The Titans just become the premier team of that Earth.

Or maybe have the earth focus on the Silver Age JL.

And whatever happened to the Post-Crisis Earth have it focus on the Titans
    Last edited by MadFacedKid; 12-27-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    With these new earths are they expected to be ongoings? That way everyone gets to read what they want. Which is cool. Those who prefer current and 5G can read it, the 1985 and the other earths.
    As much as I would enjoy this, personally, I don't see DC ever doing this. With the exception of one-shots and miniseries,' I don't think DC would ever be okay with the possibility of an ongoing Golden Age WW book outselling the mainline WW book, or a Silver Age Batman outselling the mainline one. Sure they've given it's fans pre-Crisis glimmers of hope that this would return (Morrison's Hypertime, Infinite Crisis, etc.), but for the past 34 years, DC has done everything it can to keep their universe as cohesive as possible. Despite changing editorial teams over the years, this has always been the one constant and I honestly just don't see this changing.

That said, as I read elsewhere on these boards, I can absolutely see DC releasing a series that alternates Earths, giving the GA Earth a story here, a Silver Age story there, etc.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Guess Luthor remains the criminal scientist in the superpowered armor and Brainiac remains a Skelebot.
    My all-time favorite versions of Luthor and Brainiac.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    As much as I would enjoy this, personally, I don't see DC ever doing this. With the exception of one-shots and miniseries,' I don't think DC would ever be okay with the possibility of an ongoing Golden Age WW book outselling the mainline WW book, or a Silver Age Batman outselling the mainline one. Sure they've given it's fans pre-Crisis glimmers of hope that this would return (Morrison's Hypertime, Infinite Crisis, etc.), but for the past 34 years, DC has done everything it can to keep their universe as cohesive as possible. Despite changing editorial teams over the years, this has always been the one constant and I honestly just don't see this changing.
    If it makes money, then why the hell not? I don't think DC cares how the money rolls in as long as it rolls in.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    If it makes money, then why the hell not? I don't think DC cares how the money rolls in as long as it rolls in.

I agree, but that kinda contradicts how they've been doing business since 1985. I could be wrong, but given their history...
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Clutter Earth characters from Earth S, X, 4, 6 etc most likely don't exist on Earth 1985.

Still possible some post crisis characters could exist on Earth 1985. Certain legacy characters like Tim Drake or Kon-El could exist.

Except the ones who existed pre crisis on Earth 8 wouldn't exist on Earth 1985 like Kyle, Helena Bertinelli , Breach, Jason Rusch.
    Pre crisis earth 8 was the earth for those characters who appeared after the crisis. So, Tim Drake and Kon-El would be part of that generation/earth.

On the other hand, it is possible than earth 1985 and precrisis earth 2 had keep their interdimensional adventures?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I think it needs to be emphasized that Earth 1985 Jason Todd is not a streetwise kid who stole the batmobile's tires. He's the son of a circus acrobat family, very similar to Dick Grayson. The streetwise version of Jason is a post-crisis innovation. Those are the kinds of differences that I'd play up to keep Earth 1985 from feeling like the main Earth.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Pre crisis earth 8 was the earth for those characters who appeared after the crisis. So, Tim Drake and Kon-El would be part of that generation/earth.

On the other hand, it is possible than earth 1985 and precrisis earth 2 had keep their interdimensional adventures?
    Tim Drake and Kon El aren't Earth 8, they weren't whisked away to the Earth 8 when Alex turned on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

One would think that, yes. But then you need only look at Nightwing, Wally West, and any number of characters, teams, and properties DC has intentionally screwed over to realize that it's not always money they're after, sometimes its an agenda.

And I hate that I sound like a paranoid, angry fan who blames every choice he dislikes on the publisher being out to get him. I hate *those* fans but if anyone can explain how Nightwing is in a better position business-wise right now than he was two years ago......
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think the stories should keep the vibe of the period, but have things move on a bit to include more diversity and some sense of evolution.
    I also think the books should be for all-ages to keep the spirit of the original Earth-1.

What I'd do:

- Supergirl and Batgirl as a duo.
    - John as the main Green Lantern, in a relationship with Katma Tui
    - The Satellite League would reassemble, adding Vixen, Black Lightning, Kimyo Hoshi and some of the Super Friends and constantly teaming up with 1985's version of Earth-2 (or even THE Earth-2).
    - The New Titans would continue to change and evolve even further past the shadow of their former mentors.
    - Batman's book would be a lot less grimdark. Killing Joke never happened, Bruce and Selina would be together and Jason would be Robin again. They'd work as a trio and the Outsiders would be around, but would no longer work for Batman.
    - This Earth's Legion is the Levitz version, before the 5 years gap.

Earth-1985 books would have their own label. Maybe something like DC Adventures. I don't like the 1985 name, as it sounds dated.
    This Earth should be appealing to more than longtime fans, as it'd be the closest to some of the most iconic versions of DC's characters.

BANNED

Just to play devil's advocate, I think that DC might believe that screwing over characters might make more money in the grand scheme of things. The choices might make some comics fans mad, but the brass at DC probably genuinely believes the choices strengthen their brands. For example, I can understand the thinking behind putting the most recognized Batgirl back in the suit and having her take her identity back from two characters mostly nobody outside of comics fans knows. I can understand the thinking that having 398439 Earth Green Lanterns dilutes your brand, and DC choosing to push the most integral one as the face of the franchise.

I'm not saying I'd do everything the way DC does, but I at least understand the reasoning behind it and it's not completely unsound.

As for Dick Grayson, you're supposed to think Batman is the most ultra sexy super dude around, so when you have this guy in his prime and NOT Batman, I can see how it can weaken Batman. My opinion is that if you're going to lash out against Robins, it shouldn't be Dick, it should be all those other superfluous ones. They're the real problem, if one wants to have a problem with any of this.

- Supergirl and Batgirl as a duo.
    I've seen this a lot, but I think I've read every pre-COIE occurrence of Batgirl, and I didn't think they'd ever spent that much time together. More than that, frankly, I'm tired of repeating the World's Finest dynamics with all the younger Bats/Supers teaming up and/or being besties.

John as the main Green Lantern, in a relationship with Katma Tui
    A living Katma would be nice. Earth or space-based? Any supporting cast for them?