Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I've seen this a lot, but I think I've read every pre-COIE occurrence of Batgirl, and I didn't think they'd ever spent that much time together. More than that, frankly, I'm tired of repeating the World's Finest dynamics with all the younger Bats/Supers teaming up and/or being besties.
    Agreed. From what I gather, there was more of a “besties” dynamic between Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

A living Katma would be nice. Earth or space-based? Any supporting cast for them?
    I'd go primarily space-based, featuring The pre-Crisis Green Lantern Corps. But then, my introduction to Green Lantern was from the Crisis itself and immediately post-Crisis where a team of seven Green Lanterns set up shop on Earth. So I'm predisposed to think of Green Lantern as a team book with a handful of humans (John and maybe Hal) and a bunch of aliens.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    As for Dick Grayson, you're supposed to think Batman is the most ultra sexy super dude around, so when you have this guy in his prime and NOT Batman, I can see how it can weaken Batman. My opinion is that if you're going to lash out against Robins, it shouldn't be Dick, it should be all those other superfluous ones. They're the real problem, if one wants to have a problem with any of this.
    Well Dick is only around a decade younger than Bruce. I believe pre-COIE he was stated to be around 19 when he became Nightwing, and Batman and Superman were stated to be 29. So you can have both Nightwing and Batman being in their prime and sexy as all get out if you want. One would be for the 20 somethings, and the other would be for the 30 somethings. Really, Bruce's lack of sex appeal has more to do with him being a one note, stone faced grouch instead of the swashbuckling hairy chested love God of the 70s. Bring that dude back and Nighgtwing would have more competition.

But I agree that we don't even have to have a problem with this in general. And if we do, the other two Robins who grow from teenagers to in their 20s (AFTER Dick has become Nightwing) before we even get to Bruce's 13 year old son are bigger problems. If Dan DiDio is the Silver/Bronze age fanatic fandom accuses him of being, why is he targeting the Titans and showing relative favoritism to the generations after them?

Well Dick is only around a decade younger than Bruce. I believe pre-COIE he was stated to be around 19 when he became Nightwing, and Batman and Superman were stated to be 29. So you can have both Nightwing and Batman being in their prime and sexy as all get out if you want. One would be for the 20 somethings, and the other would be for the 30 somethings. Really, Bruce's lack of sex appeal has more to do with him being a one note, stone faced grouch instead of the swashbuckling hairy chested love God of the 70s. Bring that dude back and Nightwing would have more competition.
    Depends on the era. Early 70s Batman seemed to be going for a younger vibe (Bruce using"brother" instead of the "son" for Dick, in contravention to their history) but by the 1980s, they were definitely back to the father-son dynamic (conversation at Donna's wedding hits that heavily, but I know he was using "son' in 1976 issue of Batman Family - just not sure how consistently). He may have given age as 29 at some point during that time - unsure when he did that. I tend to think of them with older history, where Bruce was 25-26 when Dick became Robin (at 8, according to Wolfman in pre-COIE NTT, but I prefer 10-12). I'm not sure what the status quo was for Batman's age in 1985, but Dick had been Robin for 11+ years (can't recall if we saw 20th birthday), so 29 seems unlikely. But while Batman in his 30s is fine, as they've aged further (or should have) in main universe, Dick would have been at least 25, and DC doesn't like Batman in his 40s.

And if we do, the other two Robins who grow from teenagers to in their 20s (AFTER Dick has become Nightwing) before we even get to Bruce's 13 year old son are bigger problems.
    Well, Tim was never allowed to reach 18, so far as I know, even when his peers were. Which I dislike. Definitely not 20s. And originally, of course, and it's applicable to Earth 1985, Dick was 19 when Bruce met Talia. Dick really didn't like her. She may have been 19, too (someone told me O'Neil said that).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-29-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Incredible Member

Adding to the idea that "Earth-1985" should remain as locked within that era of DCU comics as much as possible, I do think that any character that was introduced after 1985 should not exist. Or, at the very least, not factor as much. Ergo, no Team Titans, no Titans and certainly no Young Justice (i.e. no Tim, Damian, etc.); those people can be active on a different Earth. Thus, the only other non-Justice League group out there on Earth-1985 should be NTT, the Outsiders and any team that popped up on pre-Crisis Earth-1. And, it should be possible for some classic trans-dimensional hijinks, starting with pre-Crisis versions of Earth-2, 3, 4, S and X (whatever new designation they have now). Later, you could expand this to have the Earth-1991 Superman meet the Earth-1985 Superman (and so on) for a new adventure and Crisis. Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Adding to the idea that "Earth-1985" should remain as locked within that era of DCU comics as much as possible, I do think that any character that was introduced after 1985 should not exist. Or, at the very least, not factor as much.
    I've been taking this as a given for all of the Metaversal Earths; so yes. You can establish new characters on such Earths later on, the way Earth 2 eventually got the Super Squad and Infinity Inc.; but that shouldn't be what you get out of the gate.

In particular, Is go with the notion of revitalized Hypertimelines: when a Metaversal Earth is created, it initially exists in Limbo: time doesn't pass, and the world remains more or less static. But given a proper impetus, such a world can be revitalized, and time starts following again. Thus, rather than picking up decades later and potentially having changed so radically that they're no longer recognizable, the next time we see a Metaversal Earth should be closer to a year or two after the last time we saw it, no matter how much time has passed elsewhere. Of course, once time starts flowing again, all bets are off.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Adding to the idea that "Earth-1985" should remain as locked within that era of DCU comics as much as possible, I do think that any character that was introduced after 1985 should not exist. Or, at the very least, not factor as much. Ergo, no Team Titans, no Titans and certainly no Young Justice (i.e. no Tim, Damian, etc.); those people can be active on a different Earth.
    I tend to agree, just for the sake of differentiating from main universe. I mean, I like a lot of those characters. I'd very interested in seeing them introduced in a universe that goes more to my liking. But I don't think that should be the case with 1985.

So, no Titans babies. I was going to say "not even Lian" but actually, I'm not 100% positive. I know we'd met Cheshire. I know at some point she mentioned her child having a Titan for a father. But I don't know if that was pre or post-COIE. If it was pre-COIE, the kid could still play in. And could be or not be Lian.

Edit: She said that in Tales #51. March 1985 cover date.

Is the Lois Lane series late in pre-COIE continuity? I think Clark and Lana are still dating (I recall she was at Donna's wedding with him) and Jimmy and Lucy were getting more friendly?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-29-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I've been taking this as a given for all of the Metaversal Earths; so yes. You can establish new characters on such Earths later on, the way Earth 2 eventually got the Super Squad and Infinity Inc.; but that shouldn't be what you get out of the gate.

In particular, Is go with the notion of revitalized Hypertimelines: when a Metaversal Earth is created, it initially exists in Limbo: time doesn't pass, and the world remains more or less static. But given a proper impetus, such a world can be revitalized, and time starts following again. Thus, rather than picking up decades later and potentially having changed so radically that they're no longer recognizable, the next time we see a Metaversal Earth should be closer to a year or two after the last time we saw it, no matter how much time has passed elsewhere. Of course, once time starts flowing again, all bets are off.
    I see what you mean. The only reason why I had presented my latest statement was because I've read, on this thread, readers' desire to shoehorn characters from future eras, missing the point of why an "Earth-1985" would exist in the first place. Thus, I wanted to put it out there that you could do that for other iterations of Earths (which you have provided on other threads). But, yeah, you could use Hypertime to create parallel timelines within Earth-1985: one where everything stays the same, while another moves forward (I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I see what you mean. The only reason why I had presented my latest statement was because I've read, on this thread, readers' desire to shoehorn characters from future eras, missing the point of why an "Earth-1985" would exist in the first place. Thus, I wanted to put it out there that you could do that for other iterations of Earths (which you have provided on other threads). But, yeah, you could use Hypertime to create parallel timelines within Earth-1985: one where everything stays the same, while another moves forward (I guess).
    This. Also, the idea is to have an earth in some way clean of the dark influences than came later in the late 80's-90s. SO not only is to have not characters post 1985, but specially characters not derived of the events than came from those times.

No Death of Jason Todd Robin--> No Tim Drake.
    No Death of Superman--> No Superboy Kon-El & John Henry Irons Steel.
    No Ememrald Twilight-->No Kyle Rayner.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Dark stuff can stay.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    This. Also, the idea is to have an earth in some way clean of the dark influences than came later in the late 80's-90s. SO not only is to have not characters post 1985, but specially characters not derived of the events than came from those times.

No Death of Jason Todd Robin--> No Tim Drake.
    No Death of Superman--> No Superboy Kon-El & John Henry Irons Steel.
    No Ememrald Twilight-->No Kyle Rayner.
    That solves the problem DC has today with these characters that they don't know what to do with now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Dark stuff can stay.
    Too much dark stuff. Don't need it here too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    That solves the problem DC has today with these characters that they don't know what to do with now.

Too much dark stuff. Don't need it here too.
    Darkstuff is DC. Iris death, dead aquababy etc.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The biggest problem I see (for DC) is if they do an Earth 1985 line, it might start outselling the main books. Myself being one of the ones who will buy it.
    A entire line will never happen. One monthly title might though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    A entire line will never happen. One monthly title might though.
    Even then, I think it would need a prestige creative team to make a big splash. If it's ever going to happen, then during 5G would be the time to do it, so it can be presented as the main venue for stories about the classic DC characters.

Extraordinary Member

So, no Titans babies. I was going to say "not even Lian" but actually, I'm not 100% positive. I know we'd met Cheshire. I know at some point she mentioned her child having a Titan for a father. But I don't know if that was pre or post-COIE. If it was pre-COIE, the kid could still play in. And could be or not be Lian.
    That falls imo into a grey area, the issue were we learned that Lian was Roys daughter was published after COIE was over, but it had for example still pre-COIE-Jason in it, because they had not rebooted Batman at that point.

Btw. I would put "New Teen Titans: Games" in this continuity.

Darkstuff is DC. Iris death, dead aquababy etc.
    But the dark stuff was far less frequent. And I really don't think we should have the same defining events - defeats the purpose of the world being different.

Btw. I would put "New Teen Titans: Games" in this continuity.
    I'm not inclined to put anything that was published later into this continuity. And (according to wiki - have not read) this one has Danny Chase and his mom, and he's definitely a post-COIE character. And it kills Sarah Simms. And Donna is Troia, which her not having moved to that backstory is a significant point for some pre-COIE fans. I don't want Danny around.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-31-2019 at 06:03 AM.