Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default George Lucas and Rian Johnson did not attend premiere

Coincidence or not?

We have heard of tension behind the set, Lucas saying he was disappointed with the force awakens and Disney. Rian and JJ have been respectful to each other but sometimes it feels as if they taking shots at the other, like when Rian said, it is a mistake to try and make a movie just to please fans, or the argument JJ threw Rian and last jedi under the bus, weird that both Lucas and Rian did not attend the premiere for last jedi, rumour even has it Lucas was banned by Disney, although that feels ridiculous. What is going on between these three fellas.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-21-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Mighty Member

I loved The Last Jedi. A lot of people will sneer at me, but it took Star Wars in a whole new direction, truly fleshed out the story of Kylo and Rey and despite his apparent dislike of Luke's character arc gave Mark Hamill his career best performance.

The Force Awakens had a lot of nods to A New Hope but was fresh enough to still be a good movie, and I loved the new characters interaction with the old ones.
    But I can honestly say I was shattered by The Rise of Skywalker.
    It came across as an attempt to retcon The Last Jedi combined with Kennedy pushing some kind of poisonous feminine agenda. But most of all it completely lacked heart and soul. Many of the actors were cruelly cheated, and scenes that should have been moving instead were simply corny.
    It also had the worst ending to a franchise I have ever seen.
    I had the impression they'd shot several different endings and picked the worst one.
    I've been a Star Wars fan for over forty years. But I never thought that the promise of the first two sequels would end like this.
    In an attempt to please the nastier side of the fan base they've ended up disappointing everyone, including those who like me defended the films.
    The Rise of Skywalker is like a beautifully wrapped gift that you open up to discover is really an empty box.
    If rumours of children being taken out of the cinemas crying are true, then the entire production team should be ashamed of themselves.

BANNED

Rian Johnson is busy with Knives Out awards stuff, foreign releases/tours and interviews.

Lucas is probably snubbing everyone though.

Pretty much this. With Lucas its not a coincidence, with Johnson it probably is, as he's got his own stuff going on. I mean I doubt he's thrilled with the nose-thumbing of some of his choices, but it is logical that touring his own new film obviously supersedes this for him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Lucas: "I got a life."

Johnson: "I've got my own stuff."

Movie premieres can be kind of awkward for those not directly involved in them. I think both Lucas and Johnson could think of a million other things they'd rather be doing than be filmmakers bombarded by journalists asking them their opinions on a film they didn't make. Sure, they could show up as a sign of support for the franchise, but they're not really obligated to, especially considering it's Disney they'd be supporting more than anything else, IMO. For all we know, they both may have already seen the movie beforehand, and the premiere is just a dog and pony show for the press.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Yeah, I think this is all much ado about nothing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Clever bastards, should i have done the same.

Thanks the stars this garbage trilogy is over.

Lucas lately did some set visits to Mandalorian I think. Him and Filoni are pretty close friends.

Mostly though he's generally been taking it easy, he's married again for example. He's not exactly Stan Lee when it comes to continuing to cheer on his legacy.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Lucas lately did some set visits to Mandalorian I think. Him and Filoni are pretty close friends.

Mostly though he's generally been taking it easy, he's married again for example. He's not exactly Stan Lee when it comes to continuing to cheer on his legacy.
    Stan Lee never owned his creations. Lucas did for the longest time and then he sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I loved The Last Jedi. A lot of people will sneer at me, but it took Star Wars in a whole new direction, truly fleshed out the story of Kylo and Rey and despite his apparent dislike of Luke's character arc gave Mark Hamill his career best performance.

The Force Awakens had a lot of nods to A New Hope but was fresh enough to still be a good movie, and I loved the new characters interaction with the old ones.
    But I can honestly say I was shattered by The Rise of Skywalker.
    It came across as an attempt to retcon The Last Jedi combined with Kennedy pushing some kind of poisonous feminine agenda. But most of all it completely lacked heart and soul. Many of the actors were cruelly cheated, and scenes that should have been moving instead were simply corny.
    It also had the worst ending to a franchise I have ever seen.
    I had the impression they'd shot several different endings and picked the worst one.
    I've been a Star Wars fan for over forty years. But I never thought that the promise of the first two sequels would end like this.
    In an attempt to please the nastier side of the fan base they've ended up disappointing everyone, including those who like me defended the films.
    The Rise of Skywalker is like a beautifully wrapped gift that you open up to discover is really an empty box.
    If rumours of children being taken out of the cinemas crying are true, then the entire production team should be ashamed of themselves.
    I'm glad you liked TLJ. I really am. Not sure I get the Feminist agenda on ROS though. In fact, I have nothing against an equal rights/ Feminist agenda and I really so think a LOT of the anti-Rey attitude is based on an anti-Feminist mentality. I mean, Anakin was born of a virgin but it's Rey that's a Mary Sue? BUT TLJ was endlessly slammed for a Feminist agenda that sometimes made no sense. Not seeing where it's ROS that had a Feminist agenda. If anything, it rolled it way back.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I'm glad you liked TLJ. I really am. Not sure I get the Feminist agenda on ROS though. In fact, I have nothing against an equal rights/ Feminist agenda and I really so think a LOT of the anti-Rey attitude is based on an anti-Feminist mentality. I mean, Anakin was born of a virgin but it's Rey that's a Mary Sue? BUT TLJ was endlessly slammed for a Feminist agenda that sometimes made no sense. Not seeing where it's ROS that had a Feminist agenda. If anything, it rolled it way back.
    Star Wars having a feminist agenda is just a nothingburger based on the fact that it has a female lead. Had ANH been around today, do you think Leia taking charge of her own rescue would be a fan-favorite bit, or be blasted in some corners of the internet as shoving feminism into a movie and tearing down men to prop up a woman?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Star Wars having a feminist agenda is just a nothingburger based on the fact that it has a female lead. Had ANH been around today, do you think Leia taking charge of her own rescue would be a fan-favorite bit, or be blasted in some corners of the internet as shoving feminism into a movie and tearing down men to prop up a woman?
    I think there are people for whom a woman accomplishing anything or taking any kind of lead is a problem and translates into a slam against men.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think there are people for whom a woman accomplishing anything or taking any kind of lead is a problem and translates into a slam against men.
    Exactly.

10char
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    My daughter, who turned 6 on the Dec 20th, wasn't crying or anything, but she was incredibly bored by the halfway point.

When we left her exact words were "Daddy, not to be mean or anything because I know you really like Star Wars, but I thought this was going to be... good."

After asking what she didn't like she just said, "I don't know I just thought it would be better."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    My daughter, who turned 6 on the Dec 20th, wasn't crying or anything, but she was incredibly bored by the halfway point.

When we left her exact words were "Daddy, not to be mean or anything because I know you really like Star Wars, but I thought this was going to be... good."

After asking what she didn't like she just said, "I don't know I just thought it would be better."
    That's interesting only because I felt that one of the flaws was that the movie was trying to not stand still for an instant. It was action, action, action. Granted, that's a Star Wars movie. But it seemed designed to keep the attention of a child.