Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You're in charge of a new DC Cinematic Universe. How do you do it?

DCEU as we know it is effectively dead, but if there's a will, there's a way. This could be a learning experience for everyone involved, taking what went wrong and trying anew with something better. What's frustrating is that a DC Cinematic Universe could be just as good as the MCU, and the blueprint for how to make it work was right in front of them, but they completely squandered it. I think one of the things that went wrong was having no real architect, just a bunch of suits who had no idea what they were doing. There was no Kevin Feige for the DCEU.

Say you're the Kevin Feige, how do you reboot DC's movies in a shared setting?

For me, here's how I would do it:
    • Emphasize the need to build the heroes and their sub-settings first, think about crossover elements later. DCEU just tried to do too much, too fast, and rush to the big payoff they thought would be Justice League. It failed.
    • Add a connective element to The Batman and The Suicide Squad, the former a confirmed reboot and the latter heavily rumored to not be in the same universe as the original SS. If both are hits, we can move from there.
    • Retroactively tie Shazam to this new universe, and then tie Black Adam to Shazam. Black Adam will have him facing the Justice Society, so you can establish them as part of the new DC's history and could lead to a spin-off of their own.
    • Weld both Wonder Woman and Aquaman to the new universe, perhaps doing it with Flashpoint-esque shenanigans with the upcoming Flash movie. Or just don't explain it. Whatever works.
    • If all of this works out, make several movies and perhaps shows after this that all tie into the new universe. The most obvious being a new Superman, and of course make sequels to the previous movies. They could tie Green Lantern as being part of this universe, and make more shows from there.
    • Finally, take a second chance with a new and better Justice League.

I've heard in the past that DC is planning to have J.J. Abrams and James Gunn be the architects of a new DCU, so we'll see if that happens and how it works out. If they get momentum going, build quality movies that tie together, and produce hit after hit that we all love, we can get something just as great as the MCU. The reason the MCU was the only one who could make a shared cinematic universe work is because they saw the whole journey, not just the end. DC can do that too, and be a real competitor just like in the comics.

Anyways, what would you do?

Incredible Member

I like the general approach they're taking now post JL, where it's just a bunch of different pocket universes. The graphic novel approach is DC's specialty especially compared to Marvel. DC's unique strength is the multiversity of it. They should release the Snyder cut and need to keep trying a Superman movie with unique tones.

The worlds should feel lived in. Start with the full cast already there. We don't have to meet everyone for the first time. Each film should have a unique POV character to receive exposition through, but it's fine if Penguin and Two-Face already know each other. You can start with Year 10 instead of Year 1 for the status quo. I like that it seems like The Batman, and it looks like Birds Of Prey are doing this. We know it's early career Batman in Reeves movie but it also sounds like the rogues are already present and established in Gotham, an idea of which I am in favor.

Figure out a way to do a good Dick Grayson/Nightwing. Then use him like Nick Fury in the MCU as a connective thread character.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

You should start with Superman the first superhero. It doesn't have to be a solo movie, a tribute would be alright. Him being talked about or a team-up at some point during the movie.

I'm fine with the WonderWoman/Aquaman/Shazam universe as it is.

I'd adapt Justice League Crisis on Two Earths and spin characters out of that. So we would get a few solos and end the phase with an adaptation of Justice League Babel.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I like the general approach they're taking now post JL, where it's just a bunch of different pocket universes. The graphic novel approach is DC's specialty especially compared to Marvel. DC's unique strength is the multiversity of it. They should release the Snyder cut and need to keep trying a Superman movie with unique tones.

The worlds should feel lived in. Start with the full cast already there. We don't have to meet everyone for the first time. Each film should have a unique POV character to receive exposition through, but it's fine if Penguin and Two-Face already know each other. You can start with Year 10 instead of Year 1 for the status quo. I like that it seems like The Batman, and it looks like Birds Of Prey are doing this. We know it's early career Batman in Reeves movie but it also sounds like the rogues are already present and established in Gotham, an idea of which I am in favor.

Figure out a way to do a good Dick Grayson/Nightwing. Then use him like Nick Fury in the MCU as a connective thread character.
    What's appealing about that? The FoX-Men suffered because of how messy it was. Superhero universes work best when shared, because the storytelling possibilities beat any story told individually. It just takes a lot of care to get right.

What's funny is that DC has successfully done shared universes outside the comics, twice in fact. The DC Animated Universe, one of the most beloved shared universes out there, and the Arrowverse, which for all its faults actually did build the world it lived in and did so naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    You're in charge of a new DC Cinematic Universe. How do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Stop giving me excuses to post this...

Only one way to go .....
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-22-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Everyone is expecting another Superman movie first which is why they probably shouldn't start with one yet. I'd do lower tier characters first. Maybe a Zatanna movie and see how that goes. Maybe drop a few hints about the existence of Superman and Batman in that universe without showing them yet. Have the helmet of Fate and imply that he was a member of the JSA back in the forties. Build a full universe in the background. Prepare people for it.

Then maybe do Green Lantern. People want a GOOD GL movie. And this seems like a good change to set one up. Make it clear that this is the same movie universe as the Zatanna movie. Maybe a reference to Alan Scott and the JSA. THEN have Superman show up at the end. Make it clear that, yes, this is really happening.

That's when you reboot Superman. Brainiac is the main villain. A short origin. Only the most basic hit points. Kents find him. Skip the power discovery, let the audience decide when that happens. He saves lives for the first time as a teenager. He learns about Krypton. He puts on the cape and becomes Superman.

Green Lantern sequel a year after or the same year as the Superman movie.

Second Superman movie introduces Batman. He and Superman don't get along at first but team up to stop Joker or something by the end.

After that I think they have free reign to do what they want.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

If it's the modern DCEU, then I'm keeping as much of the cast as possible and just working on creative solos before a next big JL movie.

If it's a complete reboot, I'm waiting for Gal and Momoa to retire from the role in 5 or so years, and starting a new JL movie with an all-new cast that doesn't introduce any origin stories. The League has been in operation for a few years, it's a world with superheroes in it, that premise is established from the very beginning. Then the audience just gets to know the team dynamics right away. I'm not sure who the villain would be, but I'd make the focus the paired-off characters.

Either way, I'd probably have the same solo movies in between the team-ups.

Superman with Kandor and Brainiac (featuring Ray Palmer and introducing Supergirl)
    Batman vs The Red Hood (featuring Dick, Tim, maybe others)
    The Flash vs The Rogues (introducing Wally)
    Green Lantern (Hal and John) vs Sinestro (featuring Guy)
    Aquaman & Wonder Woman in some Greek Myth movie (ft Donna and Garth)
    J'onn vs (ft Plastic Man)

Justice League vs. the Legion of Doom

GL vs Parallax (with Hal dying and Kyle awakening)
    Flash vs Reverse Flash and maybe Grodd (featuring Elongated Man and Wally as Kid Flash)
    Justice League B Team vs Vandal Savage (Green Arrow, Canary, the Hawks, Zatanna, Atom, Vixen and/or Black Lightning)
    Teen Titans vs Deathstroke
    Batman vs the Court of Owls + Damian introduced (ft. more Batfamily)
    Superman vs Mongul (featuring Supergirl, teasing New Gods)
    A Peter David-influenced Aquaman movie with King Shark and the sea-changed (ft. Kaldur, Dolphin and the whole Aquafamily)
    Wonder Woman (ft. J'onn and Cassie) vs Dr. Psycho.

A Crisis movie with the JLA vs the Multiverse. The Anti-Monitor and maybe some alernate universe villains Barry dies.

I'd have to tinker with that a bit but it shouldn't be that hard to make a long-term plan. So many stories to pull from. I did pack it with a lot of side characters in individual movies, because I think that's the easiest way to introduce beloved non-central characters and endear them to audiences.
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 12-22-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Damn forgot about the JSA. It's hard when some of this stuff is about to be introduced to audiences in the actually existing DCEU

In all honesty, keep it simple. To begin with, at least.

Start with the trinity, this time about the same age. And, similar to what the DCAU did with Justice League and partly what BvS did, have them come together to face a common threat. Withou the whole, "Do you bleed?" crap going on in the background. Have them, in scenes leading up to the team up, be established in their own cities in their own ways. With their own supporting cast (mentioned, if nothing else) and rogues, but have something draw the three of them to the same place. With them having heard about one another, but being unsure upon first meeting.

And no, no trinity pairings.

From there, you can split off and launch other franchises.

Somehow amplify the decision making power of the talent and somehow reduce the influence execs have over the projects.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

DCEU as we know it is effectively dead, but if there's a will, there's a way. This could be a learning experience for everyone involved, taking what went wrong and trying anew with something better. What's frustrating is that a DC Cinematic Universe could be just as good as the MCU, and the blueprint for how to make it work was right in front of them, but they completely squandered it. I think one of the things that went wrong was having no real architect, just a bunch of suits who had no idea what they were doing. There was no Kevin Feige for the DCEU.

Say you're the Kevin Feige, how do you reboot DC's movies in a shared setting?

For me, here's how I would do it:
    [LIST][*]Emphasize the need to build the heroes and their sub-settings first, think about crossover elements later.

Anyways, what would you do?
    This is key for me. If the individual heroes and settings aren't good and cool, why should anyone care if they crossover? I can certainly see the advantage of Easter Eggs, but not outright early immediate crossovers. Batman checking a Daily Planet website is a good example of this. Or Superman liking the coffee they make in Star City. It's far from a crossover, but these are signs that there is a big world to investigate and explore.

Incredible Member

What's appealing about that? The FoX-Men suffered because of how messy it was. Superhero universes work best when shared, because the storytelling possibilities beat any story told individually. It just takes a lot of care to get right.

What's funny is that DC has successfully done shared universes outside the comics, twice in fact. The DC Animated Universe, one of the most beloved shared universes out there, and the Arrowverse, which for all its faults actually did build the world it lived in and did so naturally.
    Well what's appealing about it is that you end up with a better story. You just want to empower good creatives and give them freedom to tell a good story. The best superhero comic books are the DC one-offs... Watchmen, DKR, Kingdom Come, All Star Superman. And what are the best superhero movies?

1. Into The Spider-Verse
    2. Batman Begins
    3. The Dark Knight
    4. Spider-Man 2
    5. Avengers Endgame or Blade 2 or The Incredibles

The MCU would fill out a lot of the Top 20, but they're not at the top. IMO the MCU is annoying and the continuity detracts as much as it gives. Unpopular opinion coming up but the Disney Spider-Man movies have suffered creatively for being tethered MCU. They feel less like great Spidey stories and more like crossover issues as part of an Avengers event, and that is basically what they are.

The DCAU wasn't intended to be "the DCAU" that came from the result of empowering Timm's team to keep making DC series. BTAS then Superman then JL and JLU and BB and SS and so on. Shoehorning a cameo from Green Lantern into BTAS episodes wouldn't make them better. Similarly the Arrowverse developed in a relatively organic way as well.

In the comics Marvel always had the better shared universe, and DC was better with the graphic novels. Marvel's been more consistent but DC has hit higher highs. Approach continuity on a case-by-case basis, but mostly keep trying for new, and different, and great.

You can't really go for new and different quite as much within a shared, consistent universe. It also means that the character arcs are held back and played more like TV, with a long arc stretched across many films, rather than serving one great film.
    Last edited by gregpersons; 12-22-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Start with whoever's next in line for a movie who we haven't seen yet. Then from there add small scenes that hint at or introduce other heroes. Doesn't have to be a plot-shattering scene. Just something intriguing or hopeful. Then step it up with a guest star/team-up for the next film.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd make AQUAMAN 2, a MERA solo, WONDER WOMAN 3, SHAZAM 2, a WONDER WOMAN AND THE JUSTICE SOCIETY flick that takes place between Wondy 1 and 2. THE BATMAN, a SUPERMAN that's just a new story. Get a solo BLACK CANARY off the ground. Nicolas Winding Refn's BATGIRL. CYBORG. James Robinson's STARMAN could kinda spin out of WW&tJSA.

Basically just make good flicks and not worry about expanded universes and all that stuff.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-24-2019 at 09:33 AM.