Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Does Jon Kent need to follow superman's code of morality?

Would you mind it if jon does not follow his father's code of morality including the no kill rule? He wears the symbol of the EL household. But, does he have to live by their standard. What portrayal do you like or want, jon-the rebel or jon-the dutiful?
    If he doesn't, What should be the thought process that fuel Jon's morality? What would you like Jon's motive to be other than being the son of superman?

I would love it, if jon was sort of like lemillion aka mirio. His base philosophy should be "i might not be able to save everyone, but i will save at the very least _____ number of people". You know someone who has set a goal for himself to reach. The goal doesn't necessarily mean the end. It is just a check point.
    He can also be an advocate for non-violence. Someone who refuses to punch to confront evil.Jon is part of the action genre. So, doing this will be a challenge. Might be impossible. Maybe,he could be someone who always chooses the path that leads to the least amount of blood shed.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He wasn't raised by Jonathen and Martha, so not exactly. He's definitely his father's son, but also Lois's and he should have a bit of her cynicism and stubbornness.

And give him her eyes. He looks too much like Clark.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

When it happened to Jason Todd, it's because he realized that the law is powerless against a serial rapist protected by diplomatic immunity.

Some kind of similar realization that he experiences personally can make Jon feel that his father's method is wrong or inadequate

Astonishing Member

They already did this storyline more or less with Lightning Lad I believe. He killed a creature and was tried by the LOSH where in Superboy stood up for him or something like that, it's been a long time since I read the storyline I just remember it being considered a classic. Granted that was Silver-Age Superman and this is Post-Crisis/Rebirth Superman. Even then I don't think he'd mind much if his son killed when he had too, if he's just doing it because he wants to prove he's tough or whatever I think he'd kick his sons ass and show him what it means to actually be "tough".
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    They already did this storyline more or less with Lightning Lad I believe. He killed a creature and was tried by the LOSH where in Superboy stood up for him or something like that, it's been a long time since I read the storyline I just remember it being considered a classic. Granted that was Silver-Age Superman and this is Post-Crisis/Rebirth Superman. Even then I don't think he'd mind much if his son killed when he had too, if he's just doing it because he wants to prove he's tough or whatever I think he'd kick his sons ass and show him what it means to actually be "tough".
    That was Starboy not Lightning Lad.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

I hope so, There are enough rebel heroes all around there. Makes me feel a more typical hero is more interesting.
    I don't mind if he is more cynicism and stubbornness just like his mom though
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 12-22-2019 at 06:19 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What would you like Jon's motive to be other than being the son of superman?
    Since the whole Superman/Batman thing has always been that they parallel each other, I've always thought that should continue with Damian and Jon. For better or worse, Damian is hellbent on growing up to become Batman. That's like...his dream. So maybe Jon realizes the opposite about himself.

It's been touched on already that he's afraid of all the pressures and expectations that comes with being his father's son and the idea that someday he's going to have to inherit all that responsibility. So how about one day he just has a wake up call (either on his own or from a talk with his parents or even with Damian) and realizes that the only expectations on him are the ones he's been putting on himself. That being the next Superman is a choice, not an obligation. And that he's free to be whatever kind of hero (if he even decides to be a hero) that he wants to be.

Cue a story arc where Jon kinda goes off on his own again to figure himself out for maybe a year or two (only this time, he doesn't make the grave mistake of traveling off world with a man who showed every conceivable sign of being untrustworthy. Let's give him Krypto as company, with Kara and/or Conner checking up on them just so his parents know where he is at all times). Maybe guest star in some non-Super books to team up with and learn from other heroes (I'm still really partial to Diana and/or John Stewart being notable mentors for him). And by the time its over, he's made his own identity for himself. His own name. His own style (I liked the casual Super look he had going on as a kid. Even though I like his current costume too, I really wish his other look had stuck). His own outlook on the world and on being a hero. Much like, Nightwing, he's able to completely step out of Clark's shadow in a way where most people never realized he was ever there in the first place (or do they? I can't remember if it's not common knowledge that Nightwing used to be Robin)

Granted, this is what I'd do INSTEAD of what Bendis did. But even if everything in Bendis' run is still canon up until this point I think it could still work.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-22-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Heh, Dick Grayson is unique in being both the protégé of Batman AND Superman. Granted, most people don't know WHY he calls himself Nightwing, but it's because of Superman.

Training mentors is a great way to examine the morality of superheroing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Since the whole Superman/Batman thing has always been that they parallel each other, I've always thought that should continue with Damian and Jon. For better or worse, Damian is hellbent on growing up to become Batman. That's like...his dream. So maybe Jon realizes the opposite about himself.

It's been touched on already that he's afraid of all the pressures and expectations that comes with being his father's son and the idea that someday he's going to have to inherit all that responsibility. So how about one day he just has a wake up call (either on his own or from a talk with his parents or even with Damian) and realizes that the only expectations on him are the ones he's been putting on himself. That being the next Superman is a choice, not an obligation. And that he's free to be whatever kind of hero (if he even decides to be a hero) that he wants to be.

Cue a story arc where Jon kinda goes off on his own again to figure himself out for maybe a year or two (only this time, he doesn't make the grave mistake of traveling off world with a man who showed every conceivable sign of being untrustworthy. Let's give him Krypto as company, with Kara and/or Conner checking up on them just so his parents know where he is at all times). Maybe guest star in some non-Super books to team up with and learn from other heroes (I'm still really partial to Diana and/or John Stewart being notable mentors for him). And by the time its over, he's made his own identity for himself. His own name. His own style (I liked the casual Super look he had going on as a kid. Even though I like his current costume too, I really wish his other look had stuck). His own outlook on the world and on being a hero. Much like, Nightwing, he's able to completely step out of Clark's shadow in a way where most people never realized he was ever there in the first place (or do they? I can't remember if it's not common knowledge that Nightwing used to be Robin)

Granted, this is what I'd do INSTEAD of what Bendis did. But even if everything in Bendis' run is still canon up until this point I think it could still work.
    The whole batman/superman contrast is overstated. Bruce and Clark are fairly alike. The only difference between the two is that clark is more instinctual. He is like luffy, a wild animal who knows what to do and how to go about it. Bruce on the other hand is pragmatic and strategist . That's it.
    I see, no reason why jon and damian can't share the same dream of surpassing their father. Lois and Clark mini was all about passing down the mini. Ofcourse, what you say is also possible. But it would too predictable and monotonous.

I've always found both of them being satisfied with just growing up to inherit their father's titles even more predictable and, frankly, boring. Just because they're the sons of these heroes doesn't mean that's who they have to grow up to be. DC's pretty much driven in with a sledge hammer that this is going to be Damian'e fate in just about every future EXCEPT Beyond and Injustice. But I was kinda hoping they'd go a different route with Jon. And then....5G happened. It's the same problem I have with the next gen kids in Mortal Kombat. They're not bad characters (well...three out of the four of them aren't) but three out of the four of them are just slightly altered versions/combinations of their parents/mentors. And the one that isn't is an asshole so we don't talk about him XD

I just hate when stories bring in kids of the protagonists who end up falling into the same roles their parents did. Often times it makes them feel like less like they're their own person. Maybe that's why I like Boruto so much while most Naruto fans seem to hate him and the whole spinoff show. It goes out of its way to show that he's not his father and he doesn't want to be like him lol. A more....universally liked example would be Trunks from DBZ. Particularly Future Trunks.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.

I've always found both of them being satisfied with just growing up to inherit their father's titles even more predictable and, frankly, boring. Just because they're the sons of these heroes doesn't mean that's who they have to grow up to be. DC's pretty much driven in with a sledge hammer that this is going to be Damian'e fate in just about every future EXCEPT Beyond and Injustice. But I was kinda hoping they'd go a different route with Jon. And then....5G happened. It's the same problem I have with the next gen kids in Mortal Kombat. They're not bad characters (well...three out of the four of them aren't) but three out of the four of them are just slightly altered versions/combinations of their parents/mentors. And the one that isn't is an asshole so we don't talk about him XD

I just hate when stories bring in kids of the protagonists who end up falling into the same roles their parents did. Often times it makes them feel like less like they're their own person. Maybe that's why I like Boruto so much while most Naruto fans seem to hate him and the whole spinoff show. It goes out of its way to show that he's not his father and he doesn't want to be like him lol. A more....universally liked example would be Trunks from DBZ. Particularly Future Trunks.
    Really, how many kid characters have become the hero(big ips) of the main universe? Zero. How many legacy have chosen to do other things? Allmost all. Wally and kyle were the only legacy to ever surpass their predecessor. Even that is being taken from them. People are just afraid that any legacy character that dares to surpass their predecessor will end up like these two. That's perfectly valid. And I don't expect these two supersons to ever achieve it. But, that should be their goal. It's something that people can connect to. Just like wally who wanted to be flash , damian and jon wants to be take over. There is a reason they are united as supersons. They share something that's important.

This cover has a meaning. They are their father's son. They have their suits. But, they want to do it their way. I have always said this, wally has more in common with jon than clark himself. I don't see grownup jon to act like clark but wally or peter. Peter and wally have role model whose names they want to uphold in uncle ben and barry. Like wise jon has clark.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-22-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Wally's one of few examples where I was okay with a character (be it in or out of comics) whose fate was taking up the exact same mantle that their parent/mentor held. Though I'm a little biased because Wally was the very first Flash I was introduced to. Hell, for a while I thought he was the first Flash. But he's always been an exception for me and not the norm. No matter what the medium is, whether it's comics, anime, whatever, I'm always gonna be rooting for the child of the protagonist to venture away from whatever expectations that their world or the audience has for them (partly because I know from experience how annoying it is to hear "Oh your parent/sibling is like this so you must be too!"). I think it makes for more interesting and compelling characters. But, given the overall excitement for 5G, clearly that's just me XD

Astonishing Member

Boruto is underrated and handles things a lot better than Naruto. I learned more about the other villages in the 100+ episodes of Boruto than the entirety of the Naruto manga/ anime. It also helps that the Boruto(anime at least) develops and focused on the side cast more than Naruto ever did.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

In most cases, right or wrong, people usually carry and implement the sense of right and wrong their parent(s) instilled in them. There are exceptions, of course. I refer to myself as the token white sheep who survived my "family". Plus, the child of Lois and Clark should be depicted as a melding of their best qualities are journalists and human beings. That includes the excellent moral fiber each of them have. I'd be fine with Jon as an anti-hero or villain in an AU. Never in the main universe, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Would you mind it if jon does not follow his father's code of morality including the no kill rule? He wears the symbol of the EL household. But, does he have to live by their standard. What portrayal do you like or want, jon-the rebel or jon-the dutiful?
    If he doesn't, What should be the thought process that fuel Jon's morality? What would you like Jon's motive to be other than being the son of superman?
    I would love it, if jon was sort of like lemillion aka mirio. His base philosophy should be "i might not be able to save everyone, but i will save at the very least _____ number of people". You know someone who has set a goal for himself to reach. The goal doesn't necessarily mean the end. It is just a check point.
    He can also be an advocate for non-violence. Someone who refuses to punch to confront evil.Jon is part of the action genre. So, doing this will be a challenge. Might be impossible. Maybe,he could be someone who always chooses the path that leads to the least amount of blood shed.
    bnha doesnt exist anymore

boruto/naruto
    naruto doesnt exist either.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 06-29-2020 at 06:27 AM.