Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I think Jon should follow his dad's moral code if he's to wear the S. Superman isn't just super in his powers. He's the hero amongst heroes. A symbol for all Mankind. He's meant to be better. He was sent here to guide and be an example.

That S means something more than just hero and Jon has a duty to uphold what it's come to represent.
    I'm not that versed in the superlore but the above is how I've interpreted the character. I could be wrong.

Superman's responsibility and role is much much bigger than say batman. Just the sheer scale of Superman's power demands that he's morality [at least as perceived by the world] is higher.
    Last edited by dietrich; 12-27-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I think Jon should follow his dad's moral code if he's to wear the S. Superman isn't just super in his powers. He's the hero amongst heroes. A symbol for all Mankind. He's meant to be better. He was sent here to guide and be an example.

That S means something more than just hero and Jon has a duty to uphold what it's come to represent.
    I'm not that versed in the superlore but the above is how I've interpreted the character. I could be wrong.

Superman's responsibility and role is much much bigger than say batman. Just the sheer scale of Superman's power demands that he's morality [at least as perceived by the world] is higher.
    Well said!!

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

You're not wrong that the waves Clark makes are much bigger, and his responsibilities much deeper, and his legacy carries with it a certain amount of......expectation.

But the high values we so often ascribe to Clark? Like, the specific rules we think he operates under? He doesn't, and never has, actually lived up to those. He's always been something of a hypocrite; he's all about truth but lies even when he doesn't have to, and occasionally when he really shouldn't. He has a no kill rule but has taken more lives than most of his peers. And so on and so forth. Superman's legacy is far bigger than Clark himself is, but it also has painted Superman as being far more morally infallible than he truly is too.

Could we really hold it against Jon if he failed to live up to the standards that Clark himself never has? And that's not to say that Superman isn't a fantastic guy who'll do anything he can to help anyone in need, and I'm not saying he's not the light that the DCU follows. I'm with Morrison in "worshiping at the alter of El" and Clark is the best there is, hands down. But he's not perfect, and often fails to actually live up to the ideals we measure him against. So if Jon doesn't live up to them either, is that something we should really hold against him?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You're not wrong that the waves Clark makes are much bigger, and his responsibilities much deeper, and his legacy carries with it a certain amount of......expectation.

But the high values we so often ascribe to Clark? Like, the specific rules we think he operates under? He doesn't, and never has, actually lived up to those. He's always been something of a hypocrite; he's all about truth but lies even when he doesn't have to, and occasionally when he really shouldn't. He has a no kill rule but has taken more lives than most of his peers. And so on and so forth. Superman's legacy is far bigger than Clark himself is, but it also has painted Superman as being far more morally infallible than he truly is too.

Could we really hold it against Jon if he failed to live up to the standards that Clark himself never has? And that's not to say that Superman isn't a fantastic guy who'll do anything he can to help anyone in need, and I'm not saying he's not the light that the DCU follows. I'm with Morrison in "worshiping at the alter of El" and Clark is the best there is, hands down. But he's not perfect, and often fails to actually live up to the ideals we measure him against. So if Jon doesn't live up to them either, is that something we should really hold against him?
    Yeah, I'd love if there was a scene if he expressed frustration at not being able to live up to being Superman and Clark jokes "Jon, get in line."

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I think the key for Jon here is interpretation. It's not really up for much debate if Jon agrees with Clark's code of ethics. He does, but that doesn't really mean he has to go about them in the same way his father did.

A pretty clear example of this is in issue 8 of Superman where Jon is explaining to his mom and dad how all of the missions he and Jor-El undertook went. He says that Jor-El always tied to open up a dialog in an effort to make peace between whomever was warming, and Jon very clearly says that it's a lot like how his dad would do thing, and it always ended badly and in fighting. Jon then later clocks that it's all very similar to Earth where there are a lot of people talking but no one is listening.

This leads to him coming up with the idea for the United Planets--an idea that his father historically would never have come up with. For the vast majority of Clark's publication he's been very Star Trek about how involved he gets in a world's social and political development. You see this reluctance encapsulated by his conversation with Martian Manhunter in issue 1. Jon's idea sort of rips the band-aid off that thinking. It empowers the individual planets with the ability to negotiate and vote on things, and it creates a growing galactic community.

And we know the idea will be self sustaining. That's always been one of Clark's fears. "If I do it all for them, then what happens when I'm not around?" This does away that, and even allows Clark to be a contributing voice to the conversation.

So, yeah, I'm thinking we'll see more of Jon's version of Clark's classic ideals. They'll likely not be on that scale again, but I think that sort of reimagining is likely. And as stated before, he'll also be bringing some of the thinking and ideas from the Legion's 31st century.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

In most cases, right or wrong, people usually carry and implement the sense of right and wrong their parent(s) instilled in them. There are exceptions, of course. I refer to myself as the token white sheep who survived my "family". Plus, the child of Lois and Clark should be depicted as a melding of their best qualities are journalists and human beings. That includes the excellent moral fiber each of them have. I'd be fine with Jon as an anti-hero or villain in an AU. Never in the main universe, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Would you mind it if jon does not follow his father's code of morality including the no kill rule? He wears the symbol of the EL household. But, does he have to live by their standard. What portrayal do you like or want, jon-the rebel or jon-the dutiful?
    If he doesn't, What should be the thought process that fuel Jon's morality? What would you like Jon's motive to be other than being the son of superman?
    I would love it, if jon was sort of like lemillion aka mirio. His base philosophy should be "i might not be able to save everyone, but i will save at the very least _____ number of people". You know someone who has set a goal for himself to reach. The goal doesn't necessarily mean the end. It is just a check point.
    He can also be an advocate for non-violence. Someone who refuses to punch to confront evil.Jon is part of the action genre. So, doing this will be a challenge. Might be impossible. Maybe,he could be someone who always chooses the path that leads to the least amount of blood shed.
    bnha doesnt exist anymore

boruto/naruto
    naruto doesnt exist either.
    Last edited by SpideyCeo; 06-29-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

This would be a more interesting subject if Kal had maintained his Golden Age mindset when it came to crime.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory