Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Jon would/will have more in common with Clark than they disagree, but I *do* think there'll be disagreements. On what, precisely, who knows? But as much as Jon is Clark's son he's also Lois' and more to the point, he's lived a life neither of them have. He's had his own experiences which will shape him just as much if not more than the lessons his parents taught him.
    Yup. This.

Not to mention basically going to 'college' in the 31st century. That experience is sure to inform his character quite a bit.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What would you like Jon's motive to be other than being the son of superman?
    Since the whole Superman/Batman thing has always been that they parallel each other, I've always thought that should continue with Damian and Jon. For better or worse, Damian is hellbent on growing up to become Batman. That's like...his dream. So maybe Jon realizes the opposite about himself.

It's been touched on already that he's afraid of all the pressures and expectations that comes with being his father's son and the idea that someday he's going to have to inherit all that responsibility. So how about one day he just has a wake up call (either on his own or from a talk with his parents or even with Damian) and realizes that the only expectations on him are the ones he's been putting on himself. That being the next Superman is a choice, not an obligation. And that he's free to be whatever kind of hero (if he even decides to be a hero) that he wants to be.

Cue a story arc where Jon kinda goes off on his own again to figure himself out for maybe a year or two (only this time, he doesn't make the grave mistake of traveling off world with a man who showed every conceivable sign of being untrustworthy. Let's give him Krypto as company, with Kara and/or Conner checking up on them just so his parents know where he is at all times). Maybe guest star in some non-Super books to team up with and learn from other heroes (I'm still really partial to Diana and/or John Stewart being notable mentors for him). And by the time its over, he's made his own identity for himself. His own name. His own style (I liked the casual Super look he had going on as a kid. Even though I like his current costume too, I really wish his other look had stuck). His own outlook on the world and on being a hero. Much like, Nightwing, he's able to completely step out of Clark's shadow in a way where most people never realized he was ever there in the first place (or do they? I can't remember if it's not common knowledge that Nightwing used to be Robin)

Granted, this is what I'd do INSTEAD of what Bendis did. But even if everything in Bendis' run is still canon up until this point I think it could still work.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-22-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Heh, Dick Grayson is unique in being both the protégé of Batman AND Superman. Granted, most people don't know WHY he calls himself Nightwing, but it's because of Superman.

Training mentors is a great way to examine the morality of superheroing.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Jon would/will have more in common with Clark than they disagree, but I *do* think there'll be disagreements. On what, precisely, who knows? But as much as Jon is Clark's son he's also Lois' and more to the point, he's lived a life neither of them have. He's had his own experiences which will shape him just as much if not more than the lessons his parents taught him. What do you think spending months trapped in a earth-3 volcano, and then spending more months living on that world, did to Jon' worldview?

But this really depends on how you see Clark too. Someone said he's not an outlaw, someone else said he was. Depending on how you see Clark, maybe Jon's more of a rebel or maybe he's more like his dad.

However you slice it though, I wish there was more Lois in Jon. I love the idea that Jon has his mother's eyes.
    That's why i chose the lemillion like work ethics. I would prefer Jon set up goals to do. Make plans to achieve those goals and devise ways to proceed . Clark doesn't do that, generally.He just tries to save everybody in a reckless fashion. Not that, it is bad thing. He wouldn't be seen as a symbol of any type if he didn't do that. Jon could be more methodical in his practices.
    He isn't superman. Superman should be a 'state of mind' he has to work for. He can get cut and he seems to get hungry as well. We haven't seen clark get hungry. Clark doesn't need food or water. Since physically, he is not like clark. He can't just barge in expect to win his battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Since the whole Superman/Batman thing has always been that they parallel each other, I've always thought that should continue with Damian and Jon. For better or worse, Damian is hellbent on growing up to become Batman. That's like...his dream. So maybe Jon realizes the opposite about himself.

It's been touched on already that he's afraid of all the pressures and expectations that comes with being his father's son and the idea that someday he's going to have to inherit all that responsibility. So how about one day he just has a wake up call (either on his own or from a talk with his parents or even with Damian) and realizes that the only expectations on him are the ones he's been putting on himself. That being the next Superman is a choice, not an obligation. And that he's free to be whatever kind of hero (if he even decides to be a hero) that he wants to be.

Cue a story arc where Jon kinda goes off on his own again to figure himself out for maybe a year or two (only this time, he doesn't make the grave mistake of traveling off world with a man who showed every conceivable sign of being untrustworthy. Let's give him Krypto as company, with Kara and/or Conner checking up on them just so his parents know where he is at all times). Maybe guest star in some non-Super books to team up with and learn from other heroes (I'm still really partial to Diana and/or John Stewart being notable mentors for him). And by the time its over, he's made his own identity for himself. His own name. His own style (I liked the casual Super look he had going on as a kid. Even though I like his current costume too, I really wish his other look had stuck). His own outlook on the world and on being a hero. Much like, Nightwing, he's able to completely step out of Clark's shadow in a way where most people never realized he was ever there in the first place (or do they? I can't remember if it's not common knowledge that Nightwing used to be Robin)

Granted, this is what I'd do INSTEAD of what Bendis did. But even if everything in Bendis' run is still canon up until this point I think it could still work.
    The whole batman/superman contrast is overstated. Bruce and Clark are fairly alike. The only difference between the two is that clark is more instinctual. He is like luffy, a wild animal who knows what to do and how to go about it. Bruce on the other hand is pragmatic and strategist . That's it.
    I see, no reason why jon and damian can't share the same dream of surpassing their father. Lois and Clark mini was all about passing down the mini. Ofcourse, what you say is also possible. But it would too predictable and monotonous.

I've always found both of them being satisfied with just growing up to inherit their father's titles even more predictable and, frankly, boring. Just because they're the sons of these heroes doesn't mean that's who they have to grow up to be. DC's pretty much driven in with a sledge hammer that this is going to be Damian'e fate in just about every future EXCEPT Beyond and Injustice. But I was kinda hoping they'd go a different route with Jon. And then....5G happened. It's the same problem I have with the next gen kids in Mortal Kombat. They're not bad characters (well...three out of the four of them aren't) but three out of the four of them are just slightly altered versions/combinations of their parents/mentors. And the one that isn't is an ******* so we don't talk about him XD

I just hate when stories bring in kids of the protagonists who end up falling into the same roles their parents did. Often times it makes them feel like less like they're their own person. Maybe that's why I like Boruto so much while most Naruto fans seem to hate him and the whole spinoff show. It goes out of its way to show that he's not his father and he doesn't want to be like him lol. A more....universally liked example would be Trunks from DBZ. Particularly Future Trunks.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-22-2019 at 10:44 PM.

I've always found both of them being satisfied with just growing up to inherit their father's titles even more predictable and, frankly, boring. Just because they're the sons of these heroes doesn't mean that's who they have to grow up to be. DC's pretty much driven in with a sledge hammer that this is going to be Damian'e fate in just about every future EXCEPT Beyond and Injustice. But I was kinda hoping they'd go a different route with Jon. And then....5G happened. It's the same problem I have with the next gen kids in Mortal Kombat. They're not bad characters (well...three out of the four of them aren't) but three out of the four of them are just slightly altered versions/combinations of their parents/mentors. And the one that isn't is an ******* so we don't talk about him XD

I just hate when stories bring in kids of the protagonists who end up falling into the same roles their parents did. Often times it makes them feel like less like they're their own person. Maybe that's why I like Boruto so much while most Naruto fans seem to hate him and the whole spinoff show. It goes out of its way to show that he's not his father and he doesn't want to be like him lol. A more....universally liked example would be Trunks from DBZ. Particularly Future Trunks.
    Really, how many kid characters have become the hero(big ips) of the main universe? Zero. How many legacy have chosen to do other things? Allmost all. Wally and kyle were the only legacy to ever surpass their predecessor. Even that is being taken from them. People are just afraid that any legacy character that dares to surpass their predecessor will end up like these two. That's perfectly valid. And I don't expect these two supersons to ever achieve it. But, that should be their goal. It's something that people can connect to. Just like wally who wanted to be flash , damian and jon wants to be take over. There is a reason they are united as supersons. They share something that's important.

This cover has a meaning. They are their father's son. They have their suits. But, they want to do it their way. I have always said this, wally has more in common with jon than clark himself. I don't see grownup jon to act like clark but wally or peter. Peter and wally have role model whose names they want to uphold in uncle ben and barry. Like wise jon has clark.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-22-2019 at 11:52 PM.

Wally's one of few examples where I was okay with a character (be it in or out of comics) whose fate was taking up the exact same mantle that their parent/mentor held. Though I'm a little biased because Wally was the very first Flash I was introduced to. Hell, for a while I thought he was the first Flash. But he's always been an exception for me and not the norm. No matter what the medium is, whether it's comics, anime, whatever, I'm always gonna be rooting for the child of the protagonist to venture away from whatever expectations that their world or the audience has for them (partly because I know from experience how annoying it is to hear "Oh your parent/sibling is like this so you must be too!"). I think it makes for more interesting and compelling characters. But, given the overall excitement for 5G, clearly that's just me XD

Wally's one of few examples where I was okay with a character (be it in or out of comics) whose fate was taking up the exact same mantle that their parent/mentor held. Though I'm a little biased because Wally was the very first Flash I was introduced to. Hell, for a while I thought he was the first Flash. But he's always been an exception for me and not the norm. No matter what the medium is, whether it's comics, anime, whatever, I'm always gonna be rooting for the child of the protagonist to venture away from whatever expectations that their world or the audience has for them (partly because I know from experience how annoying it is to hear "Oh your parent/sibling is like this so you must be too!"). I think it makes for more interesting and compelling characters. But, given the overall excitement for 5G, clearly that's just me XD
    You can do that. It is false to say that is a better alternative. Look at boruto, he isn't fairing any better in terms of popularity even with a different goal.Legacy can choose to surpass their fathers or mentora as well. Supersons have shared dream of surpassing their fathers. It's the reason Damian always comes to find jon. And its the reason jon does the same for Damian. Its not because of others expectations but their own. Its an honor they have chosen to carry forward in their own way
    Superman himself is a legacy of el family and the kent family. It is the family crest that jon wears(even though, House of el symbol thing is overrated. Its an s! Not hope! )

Superman himself is a legacy of el family and the kent family. It is the family crest that jon wears(even though, House of el symbol thing is overrated. Its an s! Not hope! )
    How does the word hope get spelled in Kryptonian?

I LOVE seeing Kryptonian crests other than El though, it's boring when his is the only one.

Fantastic Member

Technically, superman himself and superheroes in general are criminals. They are just a glorified, that's all. Batcat or other relationships of the like has no reason to not to exist.superman and can team up with the likes of jason,cause like i said clark was an outlaw himself.
    You must have superman confused with Ultraman!! also you may be mistaking superhero team for the legion of doom which is a team of criminals!!

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    You must have superman confused with Ultraman!! also you may be mistaking superhero team for the legion of doom which is a team of criminals!!
    No, i have not mistaken anything.A vigilante is a criminal by definition. Superman is a vigilante. Other superheroes are vigilantes, since they are modelled after the guy. Superman is a bully on your side, "champion of the oppressed" and all that jazz. Superman is like zoro and robin hood.He is an outlaw like monkey d luffy. He runs from the police, wears a big police badge with an s on his chest(only for goldenage version). But, other versions still take law into their hand.superman has no authority, as he isn't sanctioned by any government . By definition, jason and clark are alike. Clark has taken life as well. He would be hypocrite to judge jason todd.

Here's the thing with Jon:

Having a son of Superman who looks and acts exactly the same (Maybe a bit more naive) when grown would be redundant. However, they've designed the character to be that way, so changing him now wouldn't make much sense from the perspective of continuity.

What they should have done was brought him back a bit jaded from his trip around the universe with heel Jor-El where he subjectively experienced like 5-10 years out there during formative stages of his development. I am not sure how far you take that in terms of does he kill or not, etc., but they could have used it as a jumping off point to at least make him a little edgier and broodier than his father. They didn't, though. I guess (I trade wait these through my library, so I'm a bit behind- I may be missing something that would not make this viable anymore), they could what he's been doing since he came back has been partly an act because he thought that's what he had to do to be accepted by his family, and it could come out later in a key moment that he's not who we think he is anymore (Figuratively speaking- I don't mean he wouldn't really be Jon Kent, son of Clark and Lois. I mean he'd have a slightly different personality than he's been showing since his return.).

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Here's the thing with Jon:

Having a son of Superman who looks and acts exactly the same (Maybe a bit more naive) when grown would be redundant. However, they've designed the character to be that way, so changing him now wouldn't make much sense from the perspective of continuity.

What they should have done was brought him back a bit jaded from his trip around the universe with heel Jor-El where he subjectively experienced like 5-10 years out there during formative stages of his development. I am not sure how far you take that in terms of does he kill or not, etc., but they could have used it as a jumping off point to at least make him a little edgier and broodier than his father. They didn't, though. I guess (I trade wait these through my library, so I'm a bit behind- I may be missing something that would not make this viable anymore), they could what he's been doing since he came back has been partly an act because he thought that's what he had to do to be accepted by his family, and it could come out later in a key moment that he's not who we think he is anymore (Figuratively speaking- I don't mean he wouldn't really be Jon Kent, son of Clark and Lois. I mean he'd have a slightly different personality than he's been showing since his return.).
    Jon is as much like clark (especially, this postcrisis clark) as wally west, oliver queen or peter parker is. They are generally non brooding characters. Other than that, jon has always been written as mischievous, quirky and high energy kid (except for bendis who writes him like a stick in the mud) . Clark has never been quirky, quippy or high energy even as superboy. Even with the stupid "pa"/"ma" nonsense and the lack of personality jon in bendis run, is given an 'island' similar to oliver queen in the form of parallel earth and 'man of tomorrow'-esque precrisis characterisation.

No need to change the character. that was never the intention of the thread. Just build on his working style, thought process and experience of the character . He doesn't need to be jaded or edgy . That's just amateurish writing, that's not even needed. Clark kent ain't jon kent. They work differently. Jon is fairly fun loving mischievous kid. The first thing,he does after getting into superhero collage is skip orientation and get damian by time travelling for having some fun. Jon is like wally, peter or ollie. The selfish or reckless choice comes first. Then the altruistic one.

As i said, All might and mirio have similar optimistic outlook and sunny nature which deku doesn't . But, their working style/thought process is different, i.e allmight and deku are similar . Allmight and deku are both reckless with deku being more of a strategist, analyst and allmight being more adaptive, instinctual. Mirio is not that reckless, initially. He is methodical. He sticks to the rules, protocols and procedures. He tries to save as many as he can if can't save everyone. Deku on the other hand doesn't (this isn't exactly a compliment either. as he gets not only himself but others in deep waters). Deku and allmight won't do that they will try to save everyone, even if it means tilting the probability to 50 percent chance of losing everyone if you do that as well. I am sorry, if you don't watch 'my hero academia' and if this is going over your head. But, current jon is going through his superhero college.So, elaborating his heroic methodology should be key. And only other reference which is similar is 'my hero'.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-24-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Boruto is underrated and handles things a lot better than Naruto. I learned more about the other villages in the 100+ episodes of Boruto than the entirety of the Naruto manga/ anime. It also helps that the Boruto(anime at least) develops and focused on the side cast more than Naruto ever did.