Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
As one of those readers, I have to disagree on all counts. I hated the post-ROTJ Legends stuff from New Jedi Order on. Even before that, the Legends timeline was disjointed due to it being made up as it went along without much planning ahead (something the new EU is killing it at). The sequel trilogy, for whatever faults it may have had, was a better post-ROTJ continuation then anything we'd gotten prior (it actually let the new generation be the heroes of the story, for one). On top of that, the new canon EU is proving superior to the old one on all counts (far more consistent in quality, it actually plans ahead and creates a truly interconnected world between medias, and a wider range of projects). I do like a lot of the old Legends stuff and I do think that that iteration does have its place in the history and franchise, but I cannot agree that it was better then what we're getting now.
You can label Disney's sequels as many things but consistency, quality and forward-planning are not among them. The only legacy of the sequels is a tug-of-war between J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, with each film contradicting the last. All the while presided over by an absentee Star Wars writers group, more content to stand in front of the cameras at press junkets then actually steward the franchise Disney put then in charge of. That's how the EU outsells this dumpster fire of a sequel universe and why Heir to the Empire will always be the true successor to George Lucas' vision.