Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Project Luminous

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Project_Luminous

This is the big novel/comics event that's coming out next year. Wonder if it has any connection to the revelations in Rise of Skywalker?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's hard to say what connections it could have with Rise of Skywalker but given that it started just as filming began and the two films screened for the writers were A New Hope and Empire I'm thinking it'll have more to do with the OT characters.

BANNED

I can't help but feel this project is just going to get compared to Shadows of the Empire. When Luminous inevitably sucks people will say that a multimedia project from 1996 is still better then anything Disney can create.

I think the ESB/ROTJ gap is mostly being handled by Marvel's relaunch of the monthly comic starting in January. Some of the gap has also been covered by the books.

There's been a few multimedia projects and crossovers since but they haven't quite had the same impact or push that SOTE had.

Could be connected to the movie, but it could be something else. I mean, does LucasFilm want to continue the sequel trilogy in spinoff films or in the tie-ins?

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I can't help but feel this project is just going to get compared to Shadows of the Empire. When Luminous inevitably sucks people will say that a multimedia project from 1996 is still better then anything Disney can create.
    Given that the current tie-in creators have been turning out stuff better then what we were getting in 1996 on a regular basis, I find that a long shot, at the very best. Besides, why compare the movies to the tie-ins, givne that they're different mediums?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Given that the current tie-in creators have been turning out stuff better then what we were getting in 1996 on a regular basis, I find that a long shot, at the very best. Besides, why compare the movies to the tie-ins, givne that they're different mediums?
    The Disney era output has been mediocre at best, outright garbage more often then not. Just compare 1991's Heir to the Empire against 2015's Aftermath and you'll understand why fans still prefer the old EU. So yeah, I think it's a safe bet that by this time next year Shadows of the Empire will still be regarded as a better multimedia project then Luminous.

Could be connected to the movie, but it could be something else. I mean, does LucasFilm want to continue the sequel trilogy in spinoff films or in the tie-ins?

Eh, while I've liked a good deal of the Marvel comics I definitely think the comics we were were getting from Dark Horse, especially in the mid 90's, were a lot better. For one, the pacing was so much better, some of the stories we've gotten so far had no business being as long as they were.

Wouldn't Zahn's new Thrawn novels be a better comparison to Heir? Granted, they're not set post-ROTJ...

Aftermath is generally not well-liked anyway; however there's been some pretty good post-ROTJ novels from the Disney canon although they're a bit more scarce. Bloodline and Phasma are pretty good.

The Disney era output has been mediocre at best, outright garbage more often then not.
    Read a lot of them and I can't think of that many that were that bad. For reference's sake, which one's didn't do it for you?

Just compare 1991's Heir to the Empire against 2015's Aftermath and you'll understand why fans still prefer the old EU.
    Or I could compare Heir to the Empire to the best that new EU has to offer, like Master & Apprentice, for example. I've read extensively from both iterations of the tie-ins, so, while a personal opinion, me saying that I think the new is generally better then the old isn't based on nothing.

So yeah, I think it's a safe bet that by this time next year Shadows of the Empire will still be regarded as a better multimedia project then Luminous.
    Maybe, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Eh, while I've liked a good deal of the Marvel comics I definitely think the comics we were were getting from Dark Horse, especially in the mid 90's, were a lot better. For one, the pacing was so much better, some of the stories we've gotten so far had no business being as long as they were.
    Haven't read that much of the Dark Horse comics (am waiting for the Epic Collection omnibus of Knight Errant, though. I think that Marvel comics has had its share of good and bad stuff, but I think the good stuff beats out what I've seen of Dark Horse. Besides, Marvel has Dr. Aphra.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Read a lot of them and I can't think of that many that were that bad. For reference's sake, which one's didn't do it for you?

Or I could compare Heir to the Empire to the best that new EU has to offer, like Master & Apprentice, for example. I've read extensively from both iterations of the tie-ins, so, while a personal opinion, me saying that I think the new is generally better then the old isn't based on nothing.

Maybe, maybe not.

Haven't read that much of the Dark Horse comics (am waiting for the Epic Collection omnibus of Knight Errant, though. I think that Marvel comics has had its share of good and bad stuff, but I think the good stuff beats out what I've seen of Dark Horse. Besides, Marvel has Dr. Aphra.
    It's not that they're bad stories it's just that they are so horribly decompressed, every single story was six to ten issues long and there wasn't a single one that actually deserved to be that long.

Aphra was pretty solid, but it too suffered from that same pacing issue with stories so hopelessly padded out to fit the trade rather than being just long enough to succinctly tell the story.

The Dark Horse books didn't have this issue, if a story was four issues long then it was that long because that's what the plot called for, but it could also be two issues long or even just one as needed. And Dark Horse pretty much invented the trade so it's not as if it's just a matter of changing times, they new very well that a book would sell just as well if it was a collection of short stories or one long cohesive tale so there was no editorial interference forcing the issue.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 12-24-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Yeah, the pacing really became a problem with the monthly once Giellon took over. I enjoyed his run on Vader and Aphra but it looked like he was trying maybe a bit too hard to connect all the dots to Rogue One, Rebels and even Solo (Around the time it came out there's even a conversation Han has with Leia about his short Imperial career). Larocca's art was also inconsistent at times, sometimes copying directly from the films.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, the pacing really became a problem with the monthly once Giellon took over. I enjoyed his run on Vader and Aphra but it looked like he was trying maybe a bit too hard to connect all the dots to Rogue One, Rebels and even Solo (Around the time it came out there's even a conversation Han has with Leia about his short Imperial career). Larocca's art was also inconsistent at times, sometimes copying directly from the films.
    It wasn't all that much better under Aaron, sure he would break it up a little between stories with one shots but for instance there was no reason for Skywalker Strikes to be six issues long.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not that they're bad stories it's just that they are so horribly decompressed, every single story was six to ten issues long and there wasn't a single one that actually deserved to be that long.

Aphra was pretty solid, but it too suffered from that same pacing issue with stories so hopelessly padded out to fit the trade rather than being just long enough to succinctly tell the story.

The Dark Horse books didn't have this issue, if a story was four issues long then it was that long because that's what the plot called for, but it could also be two issues long or even just one as needed. And Dark Horse pretty much invented the trade so it's not as if it's just a matter of changing times, they new very well that a book would sell just as well if it was a collection of short stories or one long cohesive tale so there was no editorial interference forcing the issue.
    I see; I do prefer decompressed comics and read trades primarily, so I don't think I pick up as easily on padded stuff and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, Larocca was bad outside of the Vader stuff.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I thought "Hope dies" was a pretty good arc, although of course there was the Rogue One pandering there too (Vader killing Draven in a scene evocative of the film's rampage, Luke naming the squadron). Also Vader does far more damage to the alliance here than in ESB-while ESB was devastating personally to the main characters, here the rebels loses a good chunk of their fleet and commanders.

I see; I do prefer decompressed comics and read trades primarily, so I don't think I pick up as easily on padded stuff and whatnot.

Yeah, Larocca was bad outside of the Vader stuff.
    They read as more padded out in trades though, especially the whole Mon Calamarie story.