Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    At best with the domestic tickets 40% goes back to Disney, it's typically 20% or lower for the international tickets.
    Your percentages are too low. Share of domestic ticket sales for studios averages somewhere between 50-60% over the box office run of the film. Studios actually get a much larger percent in the first few weeks when a movie earns most of its money, and this percentage shifts more in favor of the theater chains the longer a run continues. That's why movies that have a very poor opening tend to vanish from theaters much faster.

International sales vary by market, but that percentage can be as high as 40% in some cases. Your entire case here is built on an inaccurate break down of revenue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    Your percentages are too low. Share of domestic ticket sales for studios averages somewhere between 50-60% over the box office run of the film. Studios actually get a much larger percent in the first few weeks when a movie earns most of its money, and this percentage shifts more in favor of the theater chains the longer a run continues. That's why movies that have a very poor opening tend to vanish from theaters much faster.

International sales vary by market, but that percentage can be as high as 40% in some cases. Your entire case here is built on an inaccurate break down of revenue.
    Even if the percentages are as high as claim you're still missing the point of what I'm saying. That box office revenue doesn't all go to Disney, that in truth Disney is nowhere near close to recouping their investment on Star Wars once you factor in advertising and production costs. But that is to be expected from a brand that has been in sharp decline ever since the release of TFA.

To that end, what are we to make of High Republic? As I look at it I don't see much potential for merchandising. Even the EU could readily inspire new action figures and posters; Thrawn became an institution unto himself. Here though? Just some fairly generic Star Wars aliens in golden Jedi robes. The Jedi Wookie might do well as an action figure but perhaps not the rest. Although I do find it telling that these are all prequel and OT aliens, no sign of any sequel races anywhere because Disney's creature designs were universally ugly and unpopular.

Amazing Member

I never made any claim about Disney receiving all of the box office revenue. I was just pointing out that if you're going to try to correct someone you might want to make sure your own figures are accurate first. Otherwise you come across as ill informed.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Even if the percentages are as high as claim you're still missing the point of what I'm saying. That box office revenue doesn't all go to Disney, that in truth Disney is nowhere near close to recouping their investment on Star Wars once you factor in advertising and production costs. But that is to be expected from a brand that has been in sharp decline ever since the release of TFA.

To that end, what are we to make of High Republic? As I look at it I don't see much potential for merchandising. Even the EU could readily inspire new action figures and posters; Thrawn became an institution unto himself. Here though? Just some fairly generic Star Wars aliens in golden Jedi robes. The Jedi Wookie might do well as an action figure but perhaps not the rest. Although I do find it telling that these are all prequel and OT aliens, no sign of any sequel races anywhere because Disney's creature designs were universally ugly and unpopular.
    It's a publishing push...why does it need to move a lot of merchandise? If it sells books and comics than its a successful project.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 02-26-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a publishing push...why does it need to move a lot of merchandise? If it sells books and comics than its a successful project.
    Yeah, besides, the tie-ins have always gotten a lot of merchandise and frequently are fan favorites. Or have we forgotten about how Shadows of the Empire was a thing, or that comic book character Doctor Aphra has gotten two action figures because the fans demanded it?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Star Wars has always been merchandise driven. George Lucas invented the modern merchandising industry. It's honestly something that Disney is in dire need of fixing, the TROS merchandise was really weak and a far cry from the licencing blitz that TFA got. I just don't see the High Republic being able to turn that around. This project seems stuck halfway between the Old Republic and Episode 1 visually and is going to have a hard time building a unique identity going forward.

Star Wars has always been merchandise driven. George Lucas invented the modern merchandising industry. It's honestly something that Disney is in dire need of fixing, the TROS merchandise was really weak and a far cry from the licencing blitz that TFA got. I just don't see the High Republic being able to turn that around. This project seems stuck halfway between the Old Republic and Episode 1 visually and is going to have a hard time building a unique identity going forward.
    This specifically isn't merch driven though...so I'm not sure why you're continuing to harp about it though. They very clearly laid it out as a publishing project and there's nothing wrong with that as Star Wars fans have historically enjoyed EU novels and comics so it's not a bad idea to give that a larger focus especially as traditional merch like toys are a hard sell to kids these days.

BANNED

This specifically isn't merch driven though...so I'm not sure why you're continuing to harp about it though. They very clearly laid it out as a publishing project and there's nothing wrong with that as Star Wars fans have historically enjoyed EU novels and comics so it's not a bad idea to give that a larger focus especially as traditional merch like toys are a hard sell to kids these days.
    All of Star Wars is merchandise driven, always has been and always will be. If the High Republic can't find a way to shift some serious merchandise then the project's a failure from the start. Just compare it to Shadow of the Empire, we're already missing the video game and audio drama tie-ins. Star Wars used to excel at coordinated branding, the High Republic just reveals a lack of unified vision at Lucasfilm.

All of Star Wars is merchandise driven, always has been and always will be. If the High Republic can't find a way to shift some serious merchandise then the project's a failure from the start. Just compare it to Shadow of the Empire, we're already missing the video game and audio drama tie-ins. Star Wars used to excel at coordinated branding, the High Republic just reveals a lack of unified vision at Lucasfilm.
    Why does it have to? Because you said so?
    They wanted a publishing push and so they specifically crafted a project to support that so it doesn't reveal a lack of unified vision at all.

I think you have a misunderstanding of what Shadow of the Empire was. You talk about it like it was a symptom of the status quo, that Star Wars always had that consistent level of cross media presence when the reality of the situation at the time was exactly the opposite of that and even after that it wasn't something they ever pulled off again.

The whole purpose of the event was to drum up excitement and build a presence for Star Wars in people's minds where it had been fading. They needed a full court press in the early 90's or risk being forgotten...and that simply isn't the case in the pop culture landscape of 2020. There have been four Billion dollar plus films that were wildly enjoyed by the masses, there are currently two animated series running, a wildly loved live action series that scored a legitimate place in the wider cultural language in Baby Yoda and there are more TV shows on the docket so there's no need to invest money in a project like Shadows of the Empire because there is no need to raise awareness of the property.

But hey, you wanted to pretend that Skywalker wouldn't hit a billion so I'm not exactly thinking you'll be realistic here either so be my guest and keep pretending that this is the latest "failure" by Disney.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 02-26-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Hasbro seems a bit uneven with EU merchandising, unless you count Rebels, Mandalorian and Clone Wars as EU, or high-profile games like Force Unleashed or Jedi Fallen Order.

I think outside of the small line in the 90s and SOTE, they're pretty much limited to fan's choice most of the time, with a few exceptions such as the 2-packs that came with comics (and even those were a bit odd-the first batch were basically recolored figures with inaccurate Marvel adaptation colors).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Why does it have to? Because you said so?
    They wanted a publishing push and so they specifically crafted a project to support that so it doesn't reveal a lack of unified vision at all.
    You don't launch a Star Wars project on a whim in the middle of the night yet that's just what happened here with the High Republic. It's an unfinished concept rushed out the door before all the licensees were ready. Which is absolutely the last thing Lucasfilm should be doing after the failure of TROS to reverese the collapse merchandise sales. Disney would be wise to cancel this whole project before it does further damage to the Star Wars brand.

You don't launch a Star Wars project on a whim in the middle of the night yet that's just what happened here with the High Republic. It's an unfinished concept rushed out the door before all the licensees were ready. Which is absolutely the last thing Lucasfilm should be doing after the failure of TROS to reverese the collapse merchandise sales. Disney would be wise to cancel this whole project before it does further damage to the Star Wars brand.
    You're being beyond silly now.

Were you at the meeting?

Are you secretly a Disney executive?

If the answer to those questions is "no" then you're just making a fool out of yourself as you have absolutely nothing to support your claim, and further you don't even have any articles or quotes that you can even remotely misconstrue into something that so much as even hints at the bizarre conclusion you've reached. Mean while there have been dozens of articles since early 2018 talking about the creative planning going on behind the scenes at the Skywalker Ranch concerning a new EU initiative.

So once again, your opinion has zero basis in reality. The novels, especially the young adult line, have been selling really well under Disney so I can't see how this is going to damage the brand...especially as it isn't damaged now.

I remember there was this old Shakespeare quote, about a story that was full of sound and fury and signified nothing. Guess this's what the old Bard was talking about.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

So once again, your opinion has zero basis in reality. The novels, especially the young adult line, have been selling really well under Disney so I can't see how this is going to damage the brand...especially as it isn't damaged now.
    The sales of new Star Wars novels never recovered after Disney unceremoniously scrapped the EU. In fact reprints of EU books regularly outrank Disney's meagre efforts on Amazon's bestseller lists. This is what a damaged brand looks like, where no matter what they do new Star Wars products sell less then under George Lucas' leadership. I very doubt the High Republic will do any better to reverese this negative trend. One day Disney will just quietly cancel all remaining High Republic media and pretend this project never happaned.

To get back on topic about the actual damn project and what it entails instead of all this corporate BS-ery that I feel I have no foundation to discuss because I'm not a businessman, I will say that everything on High Republic has promise. This also for the first time actually did the impossible for me: Make me want to cosplay as a Jedi. The High Republic Jedi temple garb looks fantastic, white and gold standing out strong and bold. This look is what I would agree is what golden age Jedi should look like. The Brown and darker colors of later on are drab and dreary by comparison.

I feel that, depending on how this initial launch with comics and novels will go, we can see a game or television series down the line. An animated or live series perhaps, even a Disney+ movie. But I feel that those that are expecting a big budget theatrical movie to come out of this are jumping the gun. The average joe won't take well to this because this film doesn't have what they expect about Star Wars, which is Skywalkers, Skywalkers, and more Skywalkers.