Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    Well that would be Galaxy's Edge at #27 actually, but I get your point. The problem is the comparison in this thread keeps bouncing from sequel era to just Disney era publishing in general. There are a large number of current canon books on that list.
    When discussing whether Disney has been profitable with their Star Wars publishing I don't see a reason to make a distinction between books based on the sequel era and books based on prequels...they make money either way so why split it up?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    When discussing whether Disney has been profitable with their Star Wars publishing I don't see a reason to make a distinction between books based on the sequel era and books based on prequels...they make money either way so why split it up?
    Because it indicates that fans sofar seem to prefer old EU stuff and Prequel Era Stuff (that kind of works in both continuities) over Disneys new additions to the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Because it indicates that fans sofar seem to prefer old EU stuff and Prequel Era Stuff (that kind of works in both continuities) over Disneys new additions to the franchise.
    But that has no bearing on whether or not Disney is doing a good job managing the publishing arm of Star Wars.

Extraordinary Member

Btw. how are the comics doing, I dind't really pay much attention to the sales of Star Wars comics, but to me it looks like Marvel pits now a lot less Star wars stuff out in comparison to what they did a few years back.

Btw. how are the comics doing, I dind't really pay much attention to the sales of Star Wars comics, but to me it looks like Marvel pits now a lot less Star wars stuff out in comparison to what they did a few years back.
    The output seems to be about the same, we have Star Wars, Star Wars Adventures,Darth Vader, Doctor Aphra, and Bounty Hunters as on goings, and a mini for kylo ren is just about to wrap up but they usually have a new mini or two at any given time so I expect we'll get a new one sooner rather than later.

They seem to be slowing down a bit on the miniseries, but the ongoing, Vader, Aphra etc. keep going on.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Oh I was just looking at January sales numbers, and there was only the Star Wars ongoing and a Kylo Mini, but I saw now that they have few series upcoming in the following months.

Oh I was just looking at January sales numbers, and there was only the Star Wars ongoing and a Kylo Mini, but I saw now that they have few series upcoming in the following months.
    Yeah, they had sort of hit a pause button around when Skywalker came out for some reason but it's back to normal now

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I don't see why everyone has to compare EU to old EU. If reprints of the old EU are selling well, that's good.

IDK why people seem so adamant against the current Star Wars really, do you guys seriously think that Star Wars is gonna "die?" Is debating it on CBR supposed to do something about that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I don't see why everyone has to compare EU to old EU. If reprints of the old EU are selling well, that's good.

IDK why people seem so adamant against the current Star Wars really, do you guys seriously think that Star Wars is gonna "die?" Is debating it on CBR supposed to do something about that?
    What's the point of a message board if there isn't a spirited debate? I've seen message boards that have become echo chambers, they are not very active. Even here, a thread where a comic or whatever is universally well received generally has a smaller page count then one which is controversial.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

It's kind of interesting, there was a time I think when the old Marvel comics were considered non-canon in the early 90s. Early reference books such as "A guide to the Star Wars universe" didn't use them at all, instead mainly focusing on the Thrawn trilogy, Dark Empire, the Han and Lando books, Splinter of the Mind's eye and even those weird Jedi Prince books. Also Dark Horse, as far as classic comics, mainly refocused on reprinting the Russ Manning and Archie Goodwin/Al Williamson comic strips at first. There were a few exceptions-the Movie adaptations were reprinted, and issue #98 which had the Goodwin/Williamson team.

I think that started to change around the mid 90's when the brand was starting to really take off again; the first Essential guide to characters used a lot of Marvel stuff and this of course eventually led to a Marvel character being the nemesis of a book saga (Legacy of the Force).

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Star Wars has been in decline ever since TFA and this has been apparent for years.
    Shine on, you crazy diamond. Don't ever change.

Seriously, though, the first thing you have to remember is that TFA was a juggernaut; it over-performed at the box office. Later installments not matching that anomaly does not prove that Star Wars is "declining." In fact, their post-TFA batting average is the stuff that other studios would kill for.

You must've surely realised something was wrong when Solo bombed outright, a failure once thought impossible from the supposedly invincible Star Wars brand.
    You must realize that Solo's failures proving Star Wars is in decline is a fallacy. Let's stick to the facts. (Also, funny how TROS was a rebound from Solo when the franchise is ostensibly slumping.)

Then of course you have the collapse of merchandise sales, capped off by the noticeable lack of new TROS merchandise.
    You mean, like how toy sales in general aren't doing that well lately? (Also, have to say that TROS's toy line seemed on par with what you expect from a modern blockbuster.)

Seeing the EU reprints dwarf sales of Disney's books is just one more facet of the sequels failures.
    The tie-ins have nothing to do with the movies (heck, a lot of them aren't even sequel trilogy products). Also, as noted before, you've failed to back up this claim and failed to account for the new stuff frequently being on the New York Times' Best Sellers (you know, like Legends did a lot of way back when).

I guarantee that the EU will still be sold with new reprints another decade from now, while the sequel and High Republic books get eaten away by worms at charity shops the world over.
    Pretty bold claim, given that not only do we not know what exactly the actual quality of the new material will be (but let it be known that the creators assigned are some of the best in the franchise right now) and that post-Disney EU has been operating on a quality that Legends could only dream of. (Heck, for what it's worth, I see far more Legends then new EU stuff on the second-hand market these days.)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's kind of interesting, there was a time I think when the old Marvel comics were considered non-canon in the early 90s. Early reference books such as "A guide to the Star Wars universe" didn't use them at all, instead mainly focusing on the Thrawn trilogy, Dark Empire, the Han and Lando books, Splinter of the Mind's eye and even those weird Jedi Prince books. Also Dark Horse, as far as classic comics, mainly refocused on reprinting the Russ Manning and Archie Goodwin/Al Williamson comic strips at first. There were a few exceptions-the Movie adaptations were reprinted, and issue #98 which had the Goodwin/Williamson team.

I think that started to change around the mid 90's when the brand was starting to really take off again; the first Essential guide to characters used a lot of Marvel stuff and this of course eventually led to a Marvel character being the nemesis of a book saga (Legacy of the Force).
    As I understand it, pretty early on, there wasn't a real canon; just each branch of the franchise doing its own thing. Old Marvel was the last to be brought into then-canon when Legends was codified. Even then, it was in that "S-canon," where it basically existed in limbo until confirmed to have happened or contradicted and "discarded." In any event, it apparently had some of the most serious contradictions in the franchise (some fixed, others not).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, there's basically a whole issue where Boba Fett is revealed to be a Mandalorian warrior during the Clone Wars or something like that.

It was later retconned that it was actually a Clonetrooper who somehow inherited Jango's memories or something and so had a similar lifestyle-which could make for an interesting new canon story, especially with Disney's heavy focus on that kind of thing now.

Some old Marvel stuff definetly has been adapted to the new canon; the Cloud Riders from the early issues in "Solo", for example; and Marvel themselves brought back Valance, a bounty hunter character before EMPIRE made them a big part of the franchise (Yeah, there's Greedo in ANH but he wasn't quite as iconic as Boba and co (Unless of course you count the times the scene's been altered)....the scene was made pretty much building Han's character anyway).