Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is no win situation any thing Disney did you were going to criticize it. If they had continue with Rey stuff, You would have said Disney is sticking with unpopular setting nobody wanted. Disney being a smart company adjust their strategy away from the very thing YOU said was failing. You have been super critical of this trilogy and the moves they have made in it .And when Disney smartly drops continiting in that direction you criticize them for it. This is you
    Before Disney bought it Star Wars was the greatest franchise in the world. If there's a no-win situation here then it's entirely of Disney's own making. Suffice to say, at this point I am under no obligation to praise any half-assed idea that Disney attempts with Star Wars, they burnt through whatever good will they had left long ago. This 'High Republic' nonsense just shows that Disney still has no idea how to recapture the feel of Star Wars, cowboy Jedi and hobo Vikings are not the answer.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/20...cs-concept-art

Set 200 years prior to the events of The Phantom Menace, during a pax romana in the Star Wars universe, The HIgh Republic stories find the Jedi serving as a kind of Knights of the Roundtable for the galaxy, and a new threat, the punk-apocalyptic Nihil, pushing them to the brink. The Jedi closer to the familiar system have an air of Greek glamour to their looks. Protectors who dwell on the fringe bring a Wild West aesthetic to the new epoch. Anything seems possible — the white board wish list seen in the trailer includes relict hunters, Sith Empire, chaos agents, splinter group Force-users, rival houses, and “Dinosaurs!” — but as Siglain puts it, the premise of the uber-story boils down to a simple question: “What scares the Jedi?”

Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-25-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Kind of curious they went for an era fairly close to the films and when the Sith are still in hiding, kind of leaving the old Jedi/Sith conflict for later.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Before Disney bought it Star Wars was the greatest franchise in the world. If there's a no-win situation here then it's entirely of Disney's own making. Suffice to say, at this point I am under no obligation to praise any half-assed idea that Disney attempts with Star Wars, they burnt through whatever good will they had left long ago. This 'High Republic' nonsense just shows that Disney still has no idea how to recapture the feel of Star Wars, cowboy Jedi and hobo Vikings are not the answer.
    I'm not sure where this sentiment is coming from, from the sneak peak we've had it seems like an idea that would have been right at home in the old EU of like the mid 90's...which was arguably the peak of Star Wars fandom. So a book series that reminds me of the, in my mind, higher quality comics and books of the dark horse era coming right off the back of a trilogy of successful films seems like a winning strategy.

I'm glad that Star Wars finally has comics and books.

To quote Kathleen Kennedy..."Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be."

It's good to know that she is finally getting the help she needs.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Personally, I couldn't be happier about The High Republic, because as much as I love the movies and TV shows, it was the comics that I got my biggest Star Wars fix from when Dark Horse had the license. I loved the old EU comics--now Legends--that was set long before the movies and when things in the galaxy were a bit...different. I like what I've seen of The High Republic so far, so I'm totally sold.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not sure where this sentiment is coming from, from the sneak peak we've had it seems like an idea that would have been right at home in the old EU of like the mid 90's...which was arguably the peak of Star Wars fandom. So a book series that reminds me of the, in my mind, higher quality comics and books of the dark horse era coming right off the back of a trilogy of successful films seems like a winning strategy.
    We’ve already seen what the EU could do and it’s nothing like this watered-down High Republic. There’s no freedom for storytelling in the High Republic, it’s set in the least violent period before Episode 1. So, no chance of a large-scale conflict like the Clone Wars or even another Mandalorian Crusade because the Republic has been demilitarized. At least Dark Horse at the good sense to pick an interesting time period with the Legacy era, which offered war a plenty and the re-emergence of the Sith on the galactic stage.

Ultimate Member

We’ve already seen what the EU could do and it’s nothing like this watered-down High Republic. There’s no freedom for storytelling in the High Republic, it’s set in the least violent period before Episode 1. So, no chance of a large-scale conflict like the Clone Wars or even another Mandalorian Crusade because the Republic has been demilitarized. At least Dark Horse at the good sense to pick an interesting time period with the Legacy era, which offered war a plenty and the re-emergence of the Sith on the galactic stage.
    Not really.

The High Republic Era (232 BBY) wasn’t as stable as the Galactic Republic era. The galactic republic was just before the Skywalker saga and was the most peaceful time.

If I recall correctly, the High republic era was when the Outer Rims featured more prominently. The Jedi were formidable then but there were a number of significant threats in that era. It’s not an accident Disney selected this era to expand the mythology.

But then again, this was based on old canon and that could obviously change now.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-25-2020 at 02:08 PM.

I wonder if the two Sith at this point in history are perhaps behind the Nihil in the same way Palpatine and Dooku manipulated the factions in the Clone Wars.

Also presumabely Yoda has a part to play if the concept art is any indication, and timeline-wise this would definetly fit into his career.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Not really.

The High Republic Era (232 BBY) wasn’t as stable as the Galactic Republic era. The galactic republic was just before the Skywalker saga and was the most peaceful time.

If I recall correctly, the High republic era was when the Outer Rims featured more prominently. The Jedi were formidable then but there were a number of significant threats in that era. It’s not an accident Disney selected this era to expand the mythology.

But then again, this was based on old canon and that could obviously change now.
    The period you're describing only makes sense if it's set thousands of years before Episode 1, before the Great Hyperspace War when Republic explorers first discovered Korriban and the Sith Empire. Even in the time of the Old Republic, over 1000 years before Episode 1, most of the galaxy had been explored and civilised - it just hadn't been unified under a single government. The idea that a galactic frontier could still exist a mere 200 years before Episode 1 is stupid and absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Personally, I couldn't be happier about The High Republic, because as much as I love the movies and TV shows, it was the comics that I got my biggest Star Wars fix from when Dark Horse had the license. I loved the old EU comics--now Legends--that was set long before the movies and when things in the galaxy were a bit...different. I like what I've seen of The High Republic so far, so I'm totally sold.
    But...what have we seen so far? A bunch of different colored lightsabers with the promise of Yoda? Keep in mind these are going to be new characters and Disney (Snoke) hasn't (Rose) had (Phasma) a (Hux) lot (Maz) of (Zorii) luck (Finn) with (Holdo) those.

Plus no matter where Disney turns it runs into a wall. It's a prequel, and prequels tend to have a bad reputation.

Look for this to show up at your nearest bargain outlet at a price you won't believe.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

There's still a frontier in the movie era-the Unknown regions where the First Order pretty much hung out at first (They were also in the original EU, I think Palpatine sent Thrawn there or something like that)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7atw_8mOYY Grace Randolph had a interesting take on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is High Republic publishing push. They are focus on 200 years before the Phantom Menace. The Jedi Order at it peak and its expansion in the galaxy. I would post the links but I am on my phone
    My gut reaction was to be a bit underwhelmed; I have never been a fan of the Old Republic era materials (too removed from the movies for my tastes), so the project turning out to be a reboot of that is kinda disappointing. That said, they seem to have a solid set of creators onboard and a game plan going forward. Whether or not I like it personally, it looks promising from an objective standpoint.

Now to responses to the comments:

On one hand I find it highly amusing that after years of Disney neglecting the prequels they leap into a new prequel era with all the desperation of a drowning man grasping for a piece of flotsam.
    The prequel and Old Republic Era (or "High Republic" as we're now calling it) are two different things; if I must spell it out, the prequel era is materials set during or within a few years of Episodes I - III (plus Clone Wars stuff).

Also, Disney/LucasFilm have hardly been "neglecting" the prequel era in terms of the franchise; we've gotten comics (Age of Republic: Heroes/Villains, Anakin and Obi-Wan, Darth Maul miniseries, plus Star Wars Adventures), prose fiction (Master and Apprentice), radio dramas (Dooku: Jedi Lost) RPGs (the Rise of the Sepatists and Collapse of the Republic splat books from FFG) -- and don't forget about how the prequels are being used and referenced in the OT/sequel era movies, books, comics, etc.

Also, a planned project is hardly desperate

Yet having seen this first glimpse of a more 'luminous' age I find the whole concept cowardly.
    I actually find it a smart idea on paper, given the success of the Old Republic era in the past (people love it, for some reason) and the fact that they basically have no restrictions on what they can do as far as stories go.

Disney has always had an issue with showing credible villains and the sequel films have suffered particularly from this, both Snoke and Husk were jokes, they needed Palpatine back just to save face. So, it doesn't surprise me that Disney's latest batch of writers come-up with this lopsided world of golden Jedi and lame Mad Max rejects.
    We don't even know a thing about the characters, much less the story. Also, the people who wrote the movies aren't writing this stuff, so the sequel trilogy is not relevant to the discussion.

Disney can't handle the dark side and more's the pity. I think they've greatly misjudged the zeitgeist of their audiences. The sequel trilogy ended in a dark place with the Jedi more discredited and morally bankrupt then even the best of Palpatine's schemes could imagine. I don't think people want to be Jedi anymore, certainly not like this. It's a fantasy that Disney killed outright and they just don't realise it yet.
    "I find that answer vague and unconvincing."

You should ask yourself why Disney is doing this instead of continuing with more stories after TROS. The answer is because Disney utterly failed to do any form of world building, the sequels were so devoid of creativity that there are simply no more stories left to tell. So now we find that Disney is dusting off the prequels, the first 30 seconds of the video is just recycling old prequels and Clone Wars footage. Of course, Disney being Disney they decided to go with easy mode and offered a weaker setting populated by triumphant Jedi and no real challenges to deal with.
    Sadly, even a cursory examination of the franchise will prove that false (check out some of the sequel trilogy tie-ins sometime; Disney/Lucasfilm and partners world-built the heck out of that era). As far as why Disney isn't going beyond TROS, well, first of all, they are; Star Wars Adventures will be going there. However, TROS only came out last year; it still too early to expand on the ending. It takes time for things to get approved and actually made and released.

You really want to hate Disney Star Wars, don't you? Just a thought, if its not to your liking, why read/watch it in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7atw_8mOYY Grace Randolph had a interesting take on this.
    "Interesting" is one word for her assessments of things.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)