Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    But...what have we seen so far?
    Quite a bit, although you might not think so.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    It's enough, though, to see it's a new era with new heroes and villains, not bound by concerns of what might happen in a movie every two or three years. That's good for me.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

This is interesting, not a day later after the reveal of the High Republic and Bob Iger has resigned as CEO of Disney, effective immediately: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/disn...-next-ceo.html

This goes a long way towards explaining the sense of desperation surrounding this project. The bizarre press conference in the middle of the night. It would seem that Lucasfilm got wind of the shifting leadership at Disney and decided to roll out the High Republic before it was ready. After all, it's much harder to cancel a project once its been announced, even when its clearly a bad idea.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    The period you're describing only makes sense if it's set thousands of years before Episode 1, before the Great Hyperspace War when Republic explorers first discovered Korriban and the Sith Empire. Even in the time of the Old Republic, over 1000 years before Episode 1, most of the galaxy had been explored and civilised - it just hadn't been unified under a single government. The idea that a galactic frontier could still exist a mere 200 years before Episode 1 is stupid and absurd.
    What?

There’s always been a galactic frontier. The outer rims have remained dangerous throughout the entire Star Wars timeline. It was slightly more dangerous during the High Republic era.

Or are you talking about something else?
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-25-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: .

Ultimate Member

This is interesting, not a day later after the reveal of the High Republic and Bob Iger has resigned as CEO of Disney, effective immediately: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/disn...-next-ceo.html

This goes a long way towards explaining the sense of desperation surrounding this project. The bizarre press conference in the middle of the night. It would seem that Lucasfilm got wind of the shifting leadership at Disney and decided to roll out the High Republic before it was ready. After all, it's much harder to cancel a project once its been announced, even when its clearly a bad idea.

Iger is still functioning as Executive chairman and will focus more on the creative side of things, he hasn’t left Disney. I’m pretty sure the guys running Lucasfilm knew about this before the company went public with it.

And Disney didn’t just announce Project Luminous, they just basically defined what it will be. What’s desperate about that? Seriously though, it sounds like you really don’t like Star Wars at all, because I can’t imagine any fan of the property having any problem with Disney finally expanding the mythology, it’s what most folks wanted when they acquired it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Iger is still functioning as Executive chairman and will focus more on the creative side of things, he hasn’t left Disney. I’m pretty sure the guys running Lucasfilm knew about this before the company went public with it.

And Disney didn’t just announce Project Luminous, they just basically defined what it will be. What’s desperate about that? Seriously though, it sounds like you really don’t like Star Wars at all, because I can’t imagine any fan of the property having any problem with Disney finally expanding the mythology, it’s what most folks wanted when they acquired it.
    You must realise that Bob Iger's sudden resignation is not normal for a major corporation like Disney. The rumours online say that he was forced out by the board 12 votes to 1 against him. Over his mishandling of Star Wars, the collapse of interest in Disney+ and the huge amounts of debt that Disney took on to aquire Fox. This ill-conceived 'High Republic' is little more then concept art and wishful thinking on a white board. A project desperate to avoid cancellation at the hands of Disney's new CEO, hardly strong foundations for the future of Star Wars.

I think the guy's pretty set in the narrative he's built for himself. Agree though that his logic doesn't make much sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

That is not even craziest thing, The crazy thing is that Disney basically listen to his complaints and went "Hey we failed with this new direction, Let us scrap the whole thing and do something new". And he stills turns and complains about them leaving "a failed setting" and starting with a clean slate.His own words

The answer is because Disney utterly failed to do any form of world building, the sequels were so devoid of creativity that there are simply no more stories left to tell
    Now I don't agree with this but just for sake following his words .If there was no world building and no stories left to tell what in the world are you supposed to do? Bang your head against the wall and force what isn't working to work. Going by his words Disney did the best thing property could do when something is clearly not working( see terminator franchise for example of what not to do). Start over with a clean slate and focus on the thing that made franchise popular in the place. Even small measure of victory for him can't be embraced because every move for Disney has to be wrong. He can't even give Disney credit for assessing their flaws properly because all the movies except for Solo on paper are successes. This last movie made a billion dollars Disney has every reason to continue on this path because it looks successful. But he can't bask in being "right" because he has to criticize all Disney moves as being wrong so he basically is contradicting his criticism of the last group of movies to bash this new direction. You can't go "these movies are utter failure" AND "moving in away from them with a clean slate is bad move" it just doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-26-2020 at 12:47 AM.

Ultimate Member

You must realise that Bob Iger's sudden resignation is not normal for a major corporation like Disney. The rumours online say that he was forced out by the board 12 votes to 1 against him. Over his mishandling of Star Wars, the collapse of interest in Disney+ and the huge amounts of debt that Disney took on to aquire Fox. This ill-conceived 'High Republic' is little more then concept art and wishful thinking on a white board. A project desperate to avoid cancellation at the hands of Disney's new CEO, hardly strong foundations for the future of Star Wars.
    Politely, those rumors are the dumbest thing I've heard and that includes Rush Limbaugh suggesting Coronavirus is a conspiracy against Trump. Iger oversaw Disney's becoming the monster they are now and has put his resignation forward several times. I mean, it's in the article you even quoted, they listed his achievements and they've been staggering, to the point that Disney stock fell a bit with the announcement. Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars has generated billions for Disney under Iger and will continue to do so for the forseeable future (as long as they continue to put out good product).

Your constant negativity about the High Republic suggests you have more of a problem with Disney than being a fan of Star Wars. That's fair but you need to understand that the rest of are actually Star Wars fans and being such we want whats best for the property.

BANNED

Politely, those rumors are the dumbest thing I've heard and that includes Rush Limbaugh suggesting Coronavirus is a conspiracy against Trump. Iger oversaw Disney's becoming the monster they are now and has put his resignation forward several times. I mean, it's in the article you even quoted, they listed his achievements and they've been staggering, to the point that Disney stock fell a bit with the announcement. Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars has generated billions for Disney under Iger and will continue to do so for the forseeable future (as long as they continue to put out good product).
    Disney is not invincible, they're a corporation bound by the same financial restraints as any other. Making a couple of billion on Star Wars, with diminishing returns, means nothing when Disney spent billions more acquiring the IP and has yet to break even. More to the point, the acquisition of Fox was a bridge too far, burdening an already debt laden Disney with further financial obligations they are struggling to meet. In this context you must ask yourself what place, if any, that a half-baked idea like the High Republic can hold in Disney's future.

Disney is not invincible, they're a corporation bound by the same financial restraints as any other. Making a couple of billion on Star Wars, with diminishing returns, means nothing when Disney spent billions more acquiring the IP and has yet to break even.
    Disney buys Lucas for 4.05 billion

Force Awakens 2 Billion
    Rogue One 1 Billion
    TLJ 1 Billion
    TROS 1 Billion
    Solo 392.9 million

In what World has Disney not break even with Star Wars. On the movies alone they break even this not including Toys,Theme parks,Video Games and other merch.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/six-...nvestment.html
    https://www.***************.com/star...rchase-2017-12
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-26-2020 at 01:23 AM.

Ultimate Member

Disney is not invincible, they're a corporation bound by the same financial restraints as any other. Making a couple of billion on Star Wars, with diminishing returns, means nothing when Disney spent billions more acquiring the IP and has yet to break even. More to the point, the acquisition of Fox was a bridge too far, burdening an already debt laden Disney with further financial obligations they are struggling to meet. In this context you must ask yourself what place, if any, that a half-baked idea like the High Republic can hold in Disney's future.
    Do you have sources for this? From box office alone, Star Wars has grossed over $5 billion

If you have sources for this, kindly provide them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Force Awakens 2 Billion
    Rogue One 1 Billion
    TLJ 1 Billion
    TROS 1 Billion
    Solo 392.9 million

In what World has Disney not break even with Star Wars. On the movies alone they break even this not include Toys,Theme parks,Video Games and other merc.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/six-...nvestment.html
    https://www.***************.com/star...rchase-2017-12
    Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

That's why I actually want to see what the source of the info the other poster quoted came from.

From box office alone, Star Wars has pretty much paid for itself for Disney.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense.

That's why I actually want to see what the source of the info the other poster quoted came from.

From box office alone, Star Wars has pretty much paid for itself for Disney.
    Just as note we are talking to a person who swore that TROS wasn't going to sniff a billion and blamed the fall of Toy R US on Star Wars not doing well. I know better than to engage but certain statements which are clearly obvious wrong stun me and I find myself having to say something. Understanding that Disney doesn't get 100% of profit on movies, It is understood they are VOD, DVD sales and deals like with Netflix, HBO and whoever is showing Star Wars on cable as well. Strictly focusing on movie business alone it is clear that Disney that probably made back its money.

But Just in case it isn't clear, Even with sales being down on Merch with other movies, Force Awakening did work for Disney

According to analyst estimates, a Star Wars movie year is worth $5-$7 billion in merchandising revenue for Disney—and that estimate was made with the 2015 release of the first of the Disney Star Wars films, The Force Awakens
    Nielsen's report on Thursday didn't forecast future sales, but Wall Street analysts expect that $5 billion-$6 billion in merchandise will be sold worldwide in the first year after Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens opens. For perspective, Walt Disney sold $5 billion in Frozen merchandise in its last fiscal year.
    With “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” providing major boosts, global retail sales of licensed merchandise rose 4.4% to $262.9 billion last year, according to the Licensing Industry Merchandisers Assn........The association also reported Monday that entertainment and character licensing remains the largest industry category, accounting for $118.3 billion, or 45% of the total global licensing market in 2016. Corporate and brand trademarks generated $54.6 billion, followed by fashion with $31.1 billion and sports at $25.3 billion

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Force Awakens 2 Billion
    Rogue One 1 Billion
    TLJ 1 Billion
    TROS 1 Billion
    Solo 392.9 million

In what World has Disney not break even with Star Wars. On the movies alone they break even this not including Toys,Theme parks,Video Games and other merch.
    There are couple of flaws in your arithmetic. At best with the domestic tickets 40% goes back to Disney, it's typically 20% or lower for the international tickets. So, you're really only looking at a roughly 1.00-1.76 billion box office from Star Wars. That's not even factoring in the production and advertising costs of each film or the extra 1 billion+ Disney spent developing and building Galaxy's Edge. The truth is that Star Wars is not profitable for Disney, they paid too much and haven't been able to recoup their expenses.

There are couple of flaws in your arithmetic. At best with the domestic tickets 40% goes back to Disney, it's typically 20% or lower for the international tickets. So, you're really only looking at a roughly 1.00-1.76 billion box office from Star Wars. That's not even factoring in the production and advertising costs of each film or the extra 1 billion+ Disney spent developing and building Galaxy's Edge. The truth is that Star Wars is not profitable for Disney, they paid too much and haven't been able to recoup their expenses.
    Almost had a serious reply for you then I remember you are the person whose "arithmetic" kept insisting that TROS wasn't going to make a billion dollars. My math is fine.