Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 118
  1. #91
    Mighty Member Kintor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As one of those readers, I have to disagree on all counts. I hated the post-ROTJ Legends stuff from New Jedi Order on. Even before that, the Legends timeline was disjointed due to it being made up as it went along without much planning ahead (something the new EU is killing it at). The sequel trilogy, for whatever faults it may have had, was a better post-ROTJ continuation then anything we'd gotten prior (it actually let the new generation be the heroes of the story, for one). On top of that, the new canon EU is proving superior to the old one on all counts (far more consistent in quality, it actually plans ahead and creates a truly interconnected world between medias, and a wider range of projects). I do like a lot of the old Legends stuff and I do think that that iteration does have its place in the history and franchise, but I cannot agree that it was better then what we're getting now.
    You can label Disney's sequels as many things but consistency, quality and forward-planning are not among them. The only legacy of the sequels is a tug-of-war between J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, with each film contradicting the last. All the while presided over by an absentee Star Wars writers group, more content to stand in front of the cameras at press junkets then actually steward the franchise Disney put then in charge of. That's how the EU outsells this dumpster fire of a sequel universe and why Heir to the Empire will always be the true successor to George Lucas' vision.

  2. #92
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    That's how the EU outsells this dumpster fire of a sequel universe
    The Marvel Star Wars comics alone very likely grossed more money than every sale from the entirety of Legends line in 2019 combined. There are actual numbers to support the amount of money earned. Amazon's best sellers is a ranking list that provides no sales data whatsoever. Your argument is based on a flawed understanding of finances, and you can do nothing to prove otherwise.

    You're obviously entitled to your own opinion on this and any other matter. You should probably refrain from passing off your opinion as fact though. They're not, and no amount of repeating yourself will change that.
    Last edited by jcl100; 02-28-2020 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

  3. #93
    Mighty Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Bookscan is again a limited system and not much better then the New York Times at gathering information, as they only have access to physical book sales and only in North America. This does nothing to account for the perennial success of the EU on Amazon, both in print but also on Kindle. Especially in the aftermath of TROS which has seen a massive surge in EU interest, most notably with the Thrawn Trilogy in any version people can get their hands on. Which is ultimately the final refutation of Disney's universe, that Star Wars already had a better sequel to ROTJ in the EU and readers know this.
    You're simply wrong, the first run sales of books done through amazon are in fact reported to bookscan by amazon.

    I mean, why just make up stuff when we're in an internet age where that information can easily be had that directly contradicts you?

    Just stop, and simply say it doesn't suit your personal tastes and don't try and make it sound like you're trying for any objective criticism.

  4. #94
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    You can label Disney's sequels as many things but consistency, quality and forward-planning are not among them.
    I was talking about the tie-in materials, not the movies, on that point. IMHO, the movies, are a different branch of the franchise from Legends/canon EU. I specifically said I was talking about the tie-ins too. Stop misrepresenting me to try and prove you opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    The only legacy of the sequels is a tug-of-war between J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson, with each film contradicting the last.
    Sometimes, things are more then the sum of their parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    All the while presided over by an absentee Star Wars writers group, more content to stand in front of the cameras at press junkets then actually steward the franchise Disney put then in charge of.
    You know, if you actually read what content creators have said, the Story Group is very involved with different projects.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    That's how the EU outsells this dumpster fire of a sequel universe and why Heir to the Empire will always be the true successor to George Lucas' vision.
    As pointed out before, it actually doesn't outsell. The whole idea that Disney Star Wars is failing is, to put it kindly, asinine and out of touch with reality. You don't like it? Fine, no need to make crap up to justify that.

    As far as Heir to the Empire being a true successor, I think it was. Thing is, it's not the only one anymore. And that's okay.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  5. #95
    Mighty Member Kintor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As pointed out before, it actually doesn't outsell. The whole idea that Disney Star Wars is failing is, to put it kindly, asinine and out of touch with reality. You don't like it? Fine, no need to make crap up to justify that.

    As far as Heir to the Empire being a true successor, I think it was. Thing is, it's not the only one anymore. And that's okay.
    Star Wars has been in decline ever since TFA and this has been apparent for years. You must've surely realised something was wrong when Solo bombed outright, a failure once thought impossible from the supposedly invincible Star Wars brand. Then of course you have the collapse of merchandise sales, capped off by the noticeable lack of new TROS merchandise. Seeing the EU reprints dwarf sales of Disney's books is just one more facet of the sequels failures. I guarantee that the EU will still be sold with new reprints another decade from now, while the sequel and High Republic books get eaten away by worms at charity shops the world over.

  6. #96
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Seeing the EU reprints dwarf sales of Disney's books
    You have no evidence to support this beyond a ranking list on Amazon that provides no actual sales figures. Repeating an opinion over and over again doesn't make it a fact. Either show proof or stop making claims you can't support.

    Edit: Especially since currently Star Wars: Light of the Jedi just happens to be in the #1 spot on Amazon's Kindle best sellers Star Wars list. But please, by all means, continue citing Amazon as proof that you're correct.

    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ext/6411642011
    Last edited by jcl100; 02-28-2020 at 10:26 PM.

  7. #97
    Mighty Member Kintor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    You have no evidence to support this beyond a ranking list on Amazon that provides no actual sales figures. Repeating an opinion over and over again doesn't make it a fact. Either show proof or stop making claims you can't support.
    There are plenty here on CBR who cite ComiXology rankings in defence of otherwise middling to failing comic books. I see no reason why I can't do the same here to justify why the EU continues to consistently outsell Disney's books, this is true both through Kindle and Amazon's physical book sales. The spike after TROS was particularly noticeable, with the way that Heir to the Empire (all versions) rose to the top of the ranking. There is greater demand amongst readers for the vast stories of the EU then the pitiful counterfeits that Disney misrepresents as Star Wars books.
    Last edited by Kintor; 02-29-2020 at 02:35 AM.

  8. #98
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    There are plenty here on CBR who site ComiXology rankings in defence of otherwise middling to failing comic books. I see no reason why I can't do the same here to justify why the EU continues to consistently outsell Disney's books, this is true both through Kindle and Amazon's physical book sales. The spike after TROS was particularly noticeable, with the way that Heir to the Empire (all versions) rose to the top of the ranking. There is greater demand amongst readers for the vast stories of the EU then the pitiful counterfeits that Disney misrepresents as Star Wars books.
    So your defense for a complete lack of specific data is that other people do it too? You might want to take a moment to consider how that comes across. Or not since you clearly don't care about anything that doesn't fit your biased narrative. You refer to sales spikes and trends as facts with nothing to corroborate them, and then proceed to disregard relevant information when it's presented to you. That's not discussing a topic in good faith, so I guess there's no point in continuing.
    Last edited by jcl100; 02-29-2020 at 02:40 AM.

  9. #99
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    Edit: Especially since currently Star Wars: Light of the Jedi just happens to be in the #1 spot on Amazon's Kindle best sellers Star Wars list. But please, by all means, continue citing Amazon as proof that you're correct.

    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ext/6411642011
    But that book was just announced, appart from this and the RoS Novelisation, the top 10 is pretty much dominated by Tymothy Zahn, and there are a lot of Legends Books on the list.

    And the first book in the list that is based on the Sequels (appart from the movie novelisation) is "Resistance Reborn" on #38.

  10. #100
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But that book was just announced, appart from this and the RoS Novelisation, the top 10 is pretty much dominated by Tymothy Zahn, and there are a lot of Legends Books on the list.

    And the first book in the list that is based on the Sequels (appart from the movie novelisation) is "Resistance Reborn" on #38.
    Well that would be Galaxy's Edge at #27 actually, but I get your point. The problem is the comparison in this thread keeps bouncing from sequel era to just Disney era publishing in general. There are a large number of current canon books on that list.

  11. #101
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    Well that would be Galaxy's Edge at #27 actually, but I get your point.
    Oh I over looked that. But the ranking seems anyway not that stable now Galaxy's Edge is at #35 and "Resistance Reborn" #22.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    The problem is the comparison in this thread keeps bouncing from sequel era to just Disney era publishing in general.
    But the Problem is that a lot of the Disney Era Publishing is still strongly linked to the pre Disney Stuff. And everything that is set in the prequel era kind of works for Canon and Legends.

    I mean the new Thrawn novels are published in the Disney era, but they sell that good because they of the old EU Thrawn Stories. If these novels were about some new character from the Disney era do you really think they would sell that great?

    Dark Disciple is also published after Disney took over (I think at least), but that's also basically a left over from the Clone Wars TV show.

    And Master & Apprentice and Dooku: Jedi Lost (are those two new?) are staring characters from the prequels.

    Books that are set in the Disney Version of the post Endor Era are on the other hand pretty rare in the list.

  12. #102
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,108

    Default

    Wonder how well a Mandalorian novel or comic would sell. Disney at the moment seems to be mainly focused on mostly toy and clothing based Mandalorian merchandising (There's the bounty hunters comic but that appears to have no connection).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  13. #103
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,568

    Default

    I'm excited about this.

    I do hope we (finally) get an appearance by Darth Plagueis and/or his master Darth Tenebrous (or even Darth Tenebrous' master considering when it'll be set) in canon.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  14. #104
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    I think I remembered something about one of them opening a rift in the force so the Jedi felt the dark side for the first time in 800 years with no context. That might be what sets this whole thing off since the timelines should sync up a bit here. What are the Jedi afraid of? The obvious answer is Sith but they instead find space vikings when they go looking.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  15. #105
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,568

    Default

    Also, the Sith's Legends Era yellow armored assassin squad/mercenaries the Sun Guard (who provided the prototype for the Red or Royal Imperial Guards) will hopefully make their canon debut at some point in this project.

    So many interesting possibilities for great storytelling and a huge amount of easter eggs. I'm giddy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •