Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I think Magik ranks in there. She's someone they always intentionally leave out of missions that she could easily help with or have to knock her out in order to explain away the "why can't Illyana just..." folks.

Doop............

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Doop............
    We don't speak his name for fear of catastrophe....

It's Wolverine. He rarely jobs and there's no injury he can't survive these days

I don't think Rogue or Hope should count. If there's no one else around, they're basically powerless (at their base levels). Jean is as Phoenix, but that's the point. Scarlet Witch for sure but she's been nerfed post HoM. Wolverine healing from everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I just watched Star Wars Rise of Skywalker, not going to spoil anything. Watching the film made me think of the concepts of over powered mutants. I know X-Men already has levels like omega mutants and the basic human mutants. but are there any xmen character that you think is over powered or has ever been over powered at one point.

Jean Grey

Wolverine

Rogue

Hope Summers

Nate Grey

Legion

These are some of the mutants who at some point I think have been over powered. These doesn't obviously take away any interesting aspect of their characters or make their stories bad, however it could be a lot to absorb, why they are just so darm powerful.

I would say though that what I still like about some of these characters is, they have some tragic flaws because they are over powered. Legion is insane, Rogue can never touch anyone, Jean always dies, Wolverine realistically could live forever and see his beloved friends die. so x-men is balanced.
    With the exception of Legion, none of these characters are OP, especailly since they rarely operate or are written at extremely high power levels, let alone their full potential

Obviously Franklin and the little **** is annoying with his god complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Obviously Franklin and the little **** is annoying with his god complex.
    No shade, but it's kind of funny you say that with the Demiurge as your profile pic hahaha.

Billy has got strong limitations usually tho, like the need to speak (when not in Demiurge state).

I think that Legion, Magik and Nate Grey are OP. Wolverine's healing factor is essentially omnipotent so he might be overpowered too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    With the exception of Legion, none of these characters are OP, especailly since they rarely operate or are written at extremely high power levels, let alone their full potential
    I think that's the main point.

Many of these Mutants are not really written to their Full Potential....

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I don't think Rogue or Hope should count. If there's no one else around, they're basically powerless (at their base levels).
    EHHH Well...True.

No character is overpowered if they face enemies of their level.

In that sense, the writers insist on confronting Magik with people whom she can destroy with a simple gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I think that's the main point.

Many of these Mutants are not really written to their Full Potential....
    then they are not overpowered

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    then they are not overpowered
    I mean I guess.
    I think some of these mutant powers regardless if they are written well are OP.
    Last edited by stormphoenix; 12-23-2019 at 12:19 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

The thing abou "overpowered" though, is that overpowered is very rarely the series norm. There will be moments where the characters are under so much strain and pressure that they'll temporarily find levels of strength in themselves that they've never had before, but that's the equivalent of a basketball player getting in "the zone" and feeling no pain while performing on an all-time level.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

OP was just asking which characters users think are over-powered. I listed Franklin and Legion cuz on paper manifesting any ability or skill you want is ridiculous.

I gotta disagree with Jean being op. She lost to Xorn.

Rogue's powers has setbacks, Wolverine gets bodied by enemies with the same powers as him, Hope has the weaknesses of normal person, Nate was always below Jean's level even before his nerf.
    "Cable was right!"

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

"A man who fights solely with his fists only fears a man with a knife in a fight; a man with a knife only fears the man with a pistol; the man with the pistol only fears the man with a submachine gun; and so on and so forth. That is the true nature of diplomacy. They have nukes. Still want to wage war with just your righteous indignation?"

I think the mutants are just keeping pace with their human counterparts. In order to keep the fear narrative going, you need for the X-Men to be just as big of a boogeyman as Hulk, Thanos, Void, etc., could ever be. If not, they become irrelevant. People may still hate mutants, but no one would really fear them.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin