Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I want an anime Brainiac already... hopefully he's voiced by Corey Burton in the dub.

(Well, Superman TAS was animated in Japan. That's the closest you'll get.)
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Because Superman is the most iconic superhero. So of course you take Goku (post-Saiyan), One-Punch Man, and All Might who are all based around their strength. Personally, I think Toriyama won't admit it, but he used Superman. I know he stated he come up with the idea on a whim.

Anyways, like I stated, he's the most iconic. No other superhero close to Superman, Batman and Spider-man are in their own leagues. You got one of the most iconic manga characters of all time. Two superheroes from two very hot properties. And all three are known for their strength, you got people up for debate about who is stronger than Superman. It's why you don't see much on Plastic Man, Mr. Fantastic, Elongated Man, and Luffy. Because none of the three characters I mentioned are on Luffy's level of popularity. Even if you did, you'd probably get "muh gear 4th", no knock on Oda by the way.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 08-16-2021 at 08:28 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Because Superman is the most iconic superhero. So of course you take Goku (post-Saiyan), One-Punch Man, and All Might who are all based around their strength. Personally, I think Toriyama won't admit it, but he used Superman. I know he stated he come up with the idea on a whim.
    Not to rain on Your parade.Goku is still more moses+monkey king than superman.The alien explaination is the only thing taken.One punch man makes you laugh with a point being made, superman comics don't.

oda wasn't inspired by any western superhero comics.one piece is based on a vicky the viking show,dragon ball(monkey king) and a man of action was what oda envisioned.Luffy's gear fourth and snakeman use designs from buddhist and shinto gods/spirits/yokai.And at the end of the day.Rubber powers is just to show that luffy always bounces back no mattet what.Monkey king archetype is what defines these characters except for allmight and one punch man.Not superman...It makes great deal of difference..

It is also a thing that these stories takes "bad" guy archetypes such as the ashura and portray them as "good".
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-16-2021 at 11:02 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not to rain on Your parade.Goku is still more moses+monkey king than superman.The alien explaination is the only thing taken.One punch man makes you laugh with a point being made, superman comics don't.

oda wasn't inspired by any western superhero comics.one piece is based on a vicky the viking show,dragon ball(monkey king) and a man of action was what oda envisioned.Luffy's gear fourth and snakeman use designs from buddhist and shinto gods/spirits/yokai.And at the end of the day.Rubber powers is just to show that luffy always bounces back no mattet what.Monkey king archetype is what defines these characters except for allmight and one punch man.Not superman...It makes great deal of difference..
    I never stated what defines or inspired these characters. I stated why fans constantly do "death battles" between those three characters against Superman (mostly Goku, if being honest). I used Luffy as an example of why people don't push these debates between those four characters despite all having powers of elasticity. Superman being the most iconic superhero does play a big role. Now, maybe I should've used being known for his strength rather than iconic, but I stand by my statement. Superman's popularity has played a role in why fans (western far as I know) constantly bicker about who is stronger.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I never stated what defines or inspired these characters. I stated why fans constantly do "death battles" between those three characters against Superman (mostly Goku, if being honest). I used Luffy as an example of why people don't push these debates between those four characters despite all having powers of elasticity. Superman being the most iconic superhero does play a big role. Now, maybe I should've used being known for his strength rather than iconic, but I stand by my statement. Superman's popularity has played a role in why fans (western far as I know) constantly bicker about who is stronger.
    Sorry my bad then.
    That's because superman as idea was closer to the monkey king story on arrival.It's more because superman was a classical pulp fiction hero.Then it took shifts to moses from that to a more jesus-esque figure keeping some of that older personality.So they are both the same but different.very different.

And mainly Because comics crowd thinks superman is the be all and end all of strength/epitome of it (i am not just talking physical/strength of feat.i am also talking about ethical,moral, philosophical,mental or whatever way strength can exist.)But,then you read his his "Iconic" stories and his best many feel meh!.That's it.

luffy's radically different from superheroes with elasticity.There is no amount of correlation in the way they function.That's why they aren't pinned against each other.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-16-2021 at 11:56 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Guys, you won't believe this - most logical DC hero to get a new anime (or "anime-esque") after Batman's already got two anime films? You'd think Superman right? Not even close. Catwoman is going anime, outside of Batman, before Superman.