Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Toriko, like Bobobo some years before, got a small push out of interest in its quirky twist on shonen some years back in the states. I didn't really keep up with it but really thought it was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    The first time I read the title of this thread, my first thought was thought was immediately to think of All Might.

In all seriousness, if All Might doesn't prove there is nothing 'dated' or 'boring' of Superman, I don't know what does. The fact a character like that can become so recognized and be part of a massively successful manga like that is a sign that Superman can do the same.
    And the one shonen I've been behind on even starting is My Hero. But when I hear about All Might I automatically just think how he's not the main character at all. He's slipped every year in popularity polls, so I don't think he really stands up as an example of what Superman can be to Japanese audiences and general anime fans. One could see an American product like Adventure time having solid success with the viewer base if it doesn't already, and as crazy as it sounds I think Superman has the same potential. I guess it's hard to explain but I find a lot of old material so ahead of its time, if we're not talking about the conventional stuff that goes across both comics and anime these days. I like the idea of updating what works about it, and not in the "rotary vs cell phone" sense if you get me.

Kerry Callen strips are a good example of what I mean
    https://m.imgur.com/gallery/y2dTM

The Sunday strips had the throwback, "far out by played straight" thing I like about very old sci-fi properties. Superman is a legitimately old character, not a character going retro, and has this dry absurdity others would kinda have to fake it to get.

https://13thdimension.com/exclusive-...n-in-60-years/

I love how Cary Bates updated it. How (also thanks to Swan's very traditional and detail oriented skills, the character's world kept consistent) he was still old school but much more bizarre at the same time.

Starry Eyed Siren

Amazo 1
    Amazo 2
    Amazo 3

The other component, action... is easy enough to be an afterthought imo
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Jokerhad manga...why can't we get a Superman one?

Does anyone like demon slayer?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I just realized I could have called this thread "Supermanime."

I'm sorry I let everyone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I just realized I could have called this thread "Supermanime."

I'm sorry I let everyone down.
    Go-to the corner and think about what you did! :P

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Does anyone like demon slayer?
    I love it.it's pretty cool.Also not a fan of calling every creature with the same name as a demon.Inuyasha had the same problem.There are yakshas,rakshsas,oni..etc.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-03-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I ask because of Tanjiro

tanjiro really doesn't have much charisma.he's compassionate.I have always pictured clark to be someone larger than life.

I bring the bridge in that Tanjiro and Clark are genuinely good people.

True,they are good people.But,clark can be a jerk to bully's.He makes them feel what it's like to be weak,untill they stop.Tanjiro doesn't do that.He's just liberating cursed soul/victims from the cycle,so that they could go back to get a good next life.Not that clark doesn't have compassion.It's just his opponents are not victims(except for maybe his modern villains like parasite or doomsday or metallo or lex even).

Has anyone read Sakamoto Days? It's on Shonen Jump but the MC is an adult family man trying to balance his family life and assassin past. The MC's unbeatable but the slice of life feel and character interactions make it interesting. If Superman ever got a manga it would probably feel like this.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Has anyone read Sakamoto Days? It's on Shonen Jump but the MC is an adult family man trying to balance his family life and assassin past. The MC's unbeatable but the slice of life feel and character interactions make it interesting. If Superman ever got a manga it would probably feel like this.
    Wait really? What's it about

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Wait really? What's it about
    It's about a retired assassin trying to run a convenience store and not go back to his old lifestyle.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Mighty Member

There was a show called Magical Emi where the heroine and her family go to see Superman (1979). She has to pull some Superman-like shenanigans to keep the secret of her other identity when she needs to also be in the studio for her own show.

Astonishing Member

When I think about it, All Might is closer to Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond than he is Superman. While All Might is naturally virtuous and powerful, most of his character arc is him coming to terms with that he can't be a frontliner anymore and settling into his new role.

On the other hand, Superman is never going to be dethroned for any reason whatsoever.