Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 227
  1. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    OK. Other than batman what are clark's major relationship.
    Lois and Jimmy. What's this got to do with anything?
    Darkseid and orion had humiliated superman if I remember(understandable )
    Darkseid is Darkseid. He is not the first villain to humiliate Superman. I don't know when Orion ever humiliated Superman other than that time he beat up the Justice League and even then that was the entire League not Superman so who cares?

    .JL comics had many instances of clark being navel gazing in preflashpoint(lame).
    There were far more instances where he wasn't. You're really accentuating the negative.

    Superman is consistently shown to be at ease of taking L's from the likes of flash,Lex..etc
    Superman has never been comfortable with losing to Lex. He doesn't care about losing to the Flash because their races are either for charity or fun and Superman is not a petty man-child unlike Lex.

    There are way too many instances of clark being controlled by the government as well.
    The number of times when this happened can be counted on one hand and one of those instances was in an elseworld.

    Moreover,my examples were strictly limited to dcau.
    You did not start this conversation talking about the DCAU. And if you're focusing only on the DCAU, your argument has even less legs to stand on because that is not the only version of Superman that exists.


    Because the guy I replied to thinks dcau superman is postcrisis superman's successor (factually wrong).
    I'm not even sure you understand what you're talking about with this.

    There is a difference between mopey/edgy and being really strong.the pic you provided shows exactly what @Theworld is talking about.Post Crisis writers believe edginess means strong.They overdo it as well when the character needs to look strong.Jon is rarely flexing muscles with damian.The kid is sunny and strong. On the other hand,Superman with guns in dos to show how badass he is.Superman in exile.they can't write superman as gladiator metaphorically.So they make him literal one.honestly ,that's actually a bit better since there is a point.Future state is good.but,that's still problematic.
    Now you're just shifting the goal posts. Actually, not so much shifting them but shipping them off to another planet. The World's argument was that post crisis Superman always let people walk over him which is provably not the case. Calling what he does in that image edgy is the most incorrect use of the word I've seen on the Internet yet. Hell, it's far less edgy than anything Golden Age or Morrison Superman have ever done.

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,294

    Default

    For the OP: Superheroes and shonen have a lot in common and I suppose it isn't surprising that Superman would draw so many comparisons to anime heroes.

  3. #33
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Now you're just shifting the goal posts. Actually, not so much shifting them but shipping them off to another planet. The World's argument was that post crisis Superman always let people walk over him which is provably not the case
    Nothing, i meantioned outside. Didn't i? Outside of his cast is what i meant. I apologise if i didn't.

    Well, i care if i like characters being competent.

    Be that as a may, Why should there be any at all? Forgive me for thinking an action hero being a navel gazer as bizarre

    Not really, clark raced flash with stakes like in flash rebirth(i don't particularly remember) . The guy got smoked. Still, he didn't feel even a bit of competitive spirit. As for the lex, i haven't found clark actually struggling with loses to him either. As for lex being man-child,you do know we are talking about about comics. Maybe it can work out for the character who knows.A bald superman like the original.

    One is too many. Superman is the guy that debuted with an s to piss of authorities.


    No, i didn't. But, that specific reply was. Because the other dude and i have had convos in which he said "dcau superman has the spirit of postcrisis superman". Those examples, were specifically aimed to show why dcau superman had problems. Moreover, most of those things happened in postcrisis.

    Yeah!i am pretty sure. I do. Dcau superman is an amalgamation of different eras of superman comics, byrne included.

    Maybe i did. A quote from @theworld
    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    No, as far as I can tell Luffy has never killed anyone yet he never has let anyone push him around or talk down to him. Something the Post-Crisis writers can't seem to grasp, somehow or another they struggle to determine the difference between weak and good. Somehow these modern writers have convinced themselves that sad backstories and angry disposition make for strong people which is so far from the truth you have to imagine these people have little to no real life experience.

    Honestly I'd say Post-Crisis Superman and Batman are examples of the "Weak men make hard times" limerick.
    Or maybe not @bold here says otherwise.On that note, what's with the "probably" thing. Lack of surety? Why? As for goldenage, superman being edgy. I would say that's surface-level interaction. Superman was more inline with an action hero. You know, the guy that quips and gives catchphrases while punching.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-31-2020 at 10:47 AM.

  4. #34
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7,275

    Default

    For Superman's next costume change, it will be an orange gi, blue belt, blue wrist guards, and blue boots. And for a running gag, he'll have a monstrous appetite.

  5. #35
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    he'll have a monstrous appetite.
    Too late, been there and done that.

  6. #36
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Too late, been there and done that.
    No, it HAS to go with the orange gi! Oh! And instead of the front, the "S" will be on the back.

  7. #37
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    17,897

    Default

    Joking aside, Superman having a monstrous appetite could not only be a really fun running gag but make a semblance of sense. I'd approve yoinking that from Goku.

    I hate the idea I sometimes see implying he doesn't really need human sustenance. Sustenance is sustenance, and if there's any difference for Superman, to me it'd make more sense that he'd need/desire a LOT more fuel. Enough with the yellow sun being everything and the only thing for his body.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-31-2020 at 01:07 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  8. #38
    Incredible Member 13th Superman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    662

    Default

    It's one thing I never understood. Wouldn't there be gradual atrophy of his stomach and the rest of his digestive system if he no longer needed to eat. His body must need nutrients that a diet of only solar radiation can't provide.

  9. #39
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Joking aside, Superman having a monstrous appetite could not only be a really fun running gag but make a semblance of sense. I'd approve yoinking that from Goku.
    It feels too much like a wally west thing now. Well, you are probably going to hate this. But, there was a theory that jon only partially needs sun energy because he was able to keep his strength in earth-3.And bendis has been consistently showing jon wanting something to eat. Also, in future state we don't know if bottle metropolis has artificial solar fuel like that. So.......

  10. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    It's one thing I never understood. Wouldn't there be gradual atrophy of his stomach and the rest of his digestive system if he no longer needed to eat. His body must need nutrients that a diet of only solar radiation can't provide.
    Yeah, I don't think the people who say or imply Superman doesn't need sustenance understand the implications of such a thing.

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the people who say or imply Superman doesn't need sustenance understand the implications of such a thing.
    The same could be said about a lot of characters that don't need any sort of sustenance like Gods.

    Apparently, Gods don't need air yet can still be choked to death.

  12. #42
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,126

    Default

    It depends on the characterisation for me. if the character is supposed to be working class champion . The guy eats, and i mean a lot. If he is some space prince/knight sun god, i don't mind him not needing food. If he is meant to be just the farmboy from kansas. I would say he need food to significant degree and he likes to eat.

  13. #43
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For the OP: Superheroes and shonen have a lot in common and I suppose it isn't surprising that Superman would draw so many comparisons to anime heroes.
    This so much this. I agree with the notion that Superheroes comic, in general, is similar to manga. Heck, even some mangas are blatantly copying what comic book did and often cited Superheroes manga as their inspirations (Rurouni Kenshin, Yu-Gi-Oh, Douman Seyman's Works, Tezuka Osamu's Works, F. Fujio's Works, Eden Zero, Shaman King, Death Note, Attack on Titan, and et cetera).

    But to be fair, I still hope that someday with this Superhero boom, there will be a mangaka inspired by Kingdom Come, All-Star, American Alien, or any quissental Superman stories (except whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?), because those are stories that I think will be interesting in manga medium.

  14. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Nothing, i meantioned outside. Didn't i?
    You didn't complete the sentence. Even then, this is a strange thing to get hung up over. Why is Superman being close friends with Batman a bad thing? And what does that have to do with anything?

    Well, i care if i like characters being competent.
    You're asking for a character to be invincible not competent.

    Be that as a may, Why should there be any at all? Forgive me for thinking an action hero being a navel gazer as bizarre
    You have a very narrow-minded idea of what an action hero is.

    Not really, clark raced flash with stakes like in flash rebirth(i don't particularly remember)
    If you did, you'd know that story was about Barry sacrificing his life. So you're angry that Superman wasn't upset about losing to a friend who was putting his life on the line.
    Still, he didn't feel even a bit of competitive spirit.
    It was a dire situation in which the life of a friend and colleague was on the line. Why the hell would he be feeling competitive in that context?

    As for the lex, i haven't found clark actually struggling with loses to him either. [/QUOTE]

    As for lex being man-child,you do know we are talking about about comics. Maybe it can work out for the character who knows.A bald superman like the original.
    What the hell are you talking about and how is it relevant? Could you please stick to the topic at hand?

    No, i didn't. But, that specific reply was. Because the other dude and i have had convos in which he said "dcau superman has the spirit of postcrisis superman". Those examples, were specifically aimed to show why dcau superman had problems. Moreover, most of those things happened in postcrisis.

    Yeah!i am pretty sure. I do. Dcau superman is an amalgamation of different eras of superman comics, byrne included.
    Because the guy I replied to thinks dcau superman is postcrisis superman's successor (factually wrong).
    You're not even being consistent. Do you have an issue with post crisis Superman or not? Is your problem with DCAU Superman or not?

    Maybe i did. A quote from @theworld
    So what's the problem as it relates to Superman in that image?

    I would say that's surface-level interaction.
    Funny, I would say that very much fits how you describe versions of Superman you don't like.

  15. #45
    Incredible Member Lvenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    789

    Default

    I saw this panel from the last issue of Batman/Superman where Superman says he doesn't enjoy fighting and I thought that's another thing that separates Superman from a traditional shonen protagonist. Goku wants to fight strong opponents, Luffy wants to be the Pirate King, Naruto wants to be Hokage, Natsu wants to be the strongest etc. Most shonen protagonists like fighting against both enemies and friends because they enjoy the rush of battle and it allows them to test their limits. In contrast, Clark was raised not to relish violence so he doesn't have that warrior instinct that a lot of shonen protagonists have. He only fights to protect others. There are of course instances where he spars against other heroes like Wonder Woman or Starman but these are very rare. Most shonen protagonists want to be the strongest/greatest person in their world whereas Superman doesn't want glory, he wants to make the world a better place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •