Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
Alot of people did, but it was clearly misdirection because a lot of the fun of the the build up to TFA was the speculation on who was who and what the plot would be.

Either way they botched Finn. Even if he wasn't a Jedi, having a strom trooper who should theoretically be a great military ops type character would be unique in Star Wars. You really had an opportunity to have Rey handle the mystical stuff, Poe to handle space dogfights, and Finn to be the ground general who was leading men in the war.

Finn's biggest problem was that his first film he was saddled with being the kinda goofy skeptic fish out of water. The second film any momentum or growth he could have had was undermined by being saddled with Rose who only really existed to tell him that all his bravery was wrong and undermined any character development he was having. Then in the last film we actually did see a competent Finn, but by that point it was too late to make him important to the degree that I think even the filmmakers realized it would be too left field to give him an overt major development like him being a force user.
You just explained perfectly why on one hand I think the movie could have been epic in this sense, but ultimately it will be trash to me. Disney should have been mindful of the fact that so many people saw a Black Panther movie where black men were written with agency, strength, and depth even though they were all different with different perspective and motivations. They go back and give us a paper thin Finn that was a goofy character to start.I don't fault John Boyega for going off now after the movies are done. Get your check then say what you want. Finn was ruined for mostly racial reasons.