Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Yeah, Finn being completely wasted in TLJ derailed what could have been one of the more interesting story arcs in the trilogy.
    I do think it was JJ's intention to make Fin and Rey the main two both in lead roles and romance. Rian came and threw that awaT with Last Jedi.

I may be a bit slow but when I saw TFA, no way did I ever pick on any connection or link with Ben and Rey.

I think Finn was meant to be force sensitive in TFA but then Rian didn't develop either that or his romantic feelings for Rey at all in TLJ [edit: i guess Rian did have Finn express concern for Rey at a few points, but he wasn't pining after her like he was in TFA]. JJ certainly made it all but explicit that Finn has some force sensitivity when he had Finn sensing bad stuff happening to Rey in Rise.

Despite both Boyega and JJ's claims, i still think Finn was going to confess his feelings for Rey as that A) seems like a far more likely thing for someone to confess when they think they're dying and B) it seems more like something he would be embarrassed to bring up afterwards. I think JJ chose to be coy about it to avoid offending people who wanted to see Finn hook up with Rose or Poe, even though he went out of his way to show "Poe like girls!!" by introducing Zorii.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I do think it was JJ's intention to make Fin and Rey the main two both in lead roles and romance. Rian came and threw that awaT with Last Jedi.

I may be a bit slow but when I saw TFA, no way did I ever pick on any connection or link with Ben and Rey.
    Your not crazy, I agree. I think that both of them being force sensitive is where their connection begins and ends.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I think Finn was meant to be force sensitive in TFA but then Rian didn't develop either that or his romantic feelings for Rey at all in TLJ [edit: i guess Rian did have Finn express concern for Rey at a few points, but he wasn't pining after her like he was in TFA]. JJ certainly made it all but explicit that Finn has some force sensitivity when he had Finn sensing bad stuff happening to Rey in Rise.

Despite both Boyega and JJ's claims, i still think Finn was going to confess his feelings for Rey as that A) seems like a far more likely thing for someone to confess when they think they're dying and B) it seems more like something he would be embarrassed to bring up afterwards. I think JJ chose to be coy about it to avoid offending people who wanted to see Finn hook up with Rose or Poe, even though he went out of his way to show "Poe like girls!!" by introducing Zorii.
    Close, but I think all of this romance chaos stems from the fact executives were fearful of the backlash from a white woman have a black man as a love interest, and the back bending that was done to tip-toe around it was just tiring. For Pete sake it 2019 already. On the bright side I'd rather see him hook up with Jannah, Rose was so very basic looking!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Finn has proven a viable character for future development and I hope he will be featured in future STAR WARS films or TV series.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I blame TLJ.

TFA dropped hints that their was just something special about Finn. To him hearing screams of the victims of Hosnian Prime, to hearing a “Force” sound effect that’s used in some scenes in the film, which appears early on when Finn’s dying friend in the Stormtrooper corps marks his bloodied hand on his helmet. Even Kylo recognizes him.

And it was all thrown away....for Canto Bight.

So yeah. That's on Rian Johnson.
    I have to agree. Rian Johnson wasn't forced into a corner. He had plenty of time to do something with Finn's backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Finn has proven a viable character for future development and I hope he will be featured in future STAR WARS films or TV series.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Doubt it. When asked about a Disney+ series Boyega was quoted as saying "You ain't going to Disney+ me!".
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...ac-1203425292/
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Doubt it. When asked about a Disney+ series Boyega was quoted as saying "You ain't going to Disney+ me!".
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...ac-1203425292/
    Course, he did say that he'd like to do more theatrical movies if his co-stars came back for them...
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Finn has a very interesting back story.

An ex-stormtrooper that's force sensitive is very, very interesting.

I think JJ had a plan to reveal something like that but as others have pointed out, Rian Johnson pretty much threw all that out and had the character go on a pointless quest on Canto Bight.

BANNED

Rey is meant to be both of those things at once. She is both a Jedi and a Disney princess. No Jedi glory will be shared with Finn.
    Yeah, whatever we may have been led to believe from the promo materials for Ep. 7, if you take in the trilogy in totality it's pretty clear that it was never meant to be about anything other than making Rey the end all and be all of Jedi superhero princesses. Finn, Poe, Rose, and the rest were never more than plucky sidekicks who get to crack jokes and bathe in her reflected glory. The male lead of the series, such as it was, was obviously Kylo Ren whose main purpose was to serve as the creepy awkward love interest.

I mean, it does suck for people who had hopes for Finn's character to see a story set up and teased for him, only to be misdirection for Rey's arc, but let's not pretend like that wasn't the plan all along.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Course, he did say that he'd like to do more theatrical movies if his co-stars came back for them...
    I don't think that is going to happen. This trilogy isn't going to destroy careers like the last one did lol. Ridley, Isaac and Driver all have solid careers and have said they don't want to come back either.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ridley's career is a bit iffy at this point but yeah I'd say Boyega and Isaac are secure despite a few flops.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Ridley's career is a bit iffy at this point but yeah I'd say Boyega and Isaac are secure despite a few flops.
    So i guess she will show up in twenty years and get the "Rian Johnson Treatment" where she is a hobo failure. I can see it now...

A distant planet

Another chosen one:: Are you Rey Skywalker?!

Rey (After taking huge gulp of blue milk from a creature): Use to be..never really was....

Chosen one:: Why did all your students turn to the Darkside?

Rey:: No idea. I trained them the best I could. If They failed to do something on the first try I shocked them.

Chosen One:: Wait...what?

Rey:: Yeah, I'm super good at everything without really trying and they were my students so they...

Chosen One:: I'm gone.

Rey:: Wait, come back! Don't you want me to talk down to you under the guise of training?! Get sucked into some Darkside quicksand? Dig up Luke's old lightsaber and have a vision that leads you to Mara Jade and you find out that you are her and Luke's grandson! See me drink more blue milk!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

TFA ends with Rey having seen Kylo kill her adoptive father figure and critically injuring her best friend/potential love interest. So yeah, there's no indication whatsoever that Rey has any kind of romantic connection with him, and his interest appears to be that of a Sith taking on a powerful apprentice.

It's weird how TLJ, in spite of occurring almost immediately after TFA, completely passes over Rey's intense hatred of Kylo and jumps into sexual tension and 'he can be redeemed.' There's not even the traditional time jump between films to explain her change in attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    TFA ends with Rey having seen Kylo kill her adoptive father figure and critically injuring her best friend/potential love interest. So yeah, there's no indication whatsoever that Rey has any kind of romantic connection with him, and his interest appears to be that of a Sith taking on a powerful apprentice.

It's weird how TLJ, in spite of occurring almost immediately after TFA, completely passes over Rey's intense hatred of Kylo and jumps into sexual tension and 'he can be redeemed.' There's not even the traditional time jump between films to explain her change in attitude.

But it SUBVERTED EXPECTATIONS!!!!!! lol. altho the luke-rey-kylo material was still by far the best part of TLJ imo