Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    actually, we had 2 movies building up rey falling for the father slaughtering, best friend crippeling solo/organa/skywalker dude
    I'm not sure about that; every time she saw him, she swung a lightsaber at him.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

actually, we had 2 movies building up rey falling for the father slaughtering, best friend crippeling solo/organa/skywalker dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Yeah, maybe one movie of set up, and even that ended in a way that made more sense if the ship was sunk then not.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

No matter what JJ says "brothers and sisters" don't kiss each other like that, well, unless they come from a family of kissing cousins lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    No matter what JJ says "brothers and sisters" don't kiss each other like that, well, unless they come from a family of kissing cousins lol.
    There is the question if Abrams' quote was actually in reference to TFA. I don't think that makes any more sense (given that Kylo and Rey don't have either a sibling-like or romantic connecting in that film). Kinda wish there was a straight answer to what exactly he was thinking with the scene.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Eh you can't hold fictional characters accountable for their actions in the same way that you would real people, because if you did then you would pretty much only be able to have goody two shoes protagonists whose only flaws were that they were too loving and kind. Besides, Star Wars morality has always sort of implied that your dark side identity should basically be treated as an entirely separate person, and that embracing the light side is like being born again and cleanses you of all those sins. It's maybe not something that most of us would agree with in the context of modern society, but that's how it has always been in-universe.

I mean, it's a kiss after an incredibly harrowing moment. He gave his life for hers....does that not deserve a kiss? Or a thank you?

I think people are over analyzing it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I mean, it's a kiss after an incredibly harrowing moment. He gave his life for hers....does that not deserve a kiss? Or a thank you?

I think people are over analyzing it quite a bit.
    Seems to me that it centers on whether you think there was a love story between the characters, much less should've been one. People who were very much against that happening seem to be the last pleased with the scene, given the heavy implications. I did not like that scene, but do think the reaction is a little over the top (given that it didn't go anywhere and the ending of the movie focuses on Rey's bonds with her friends and the Skywalkers, anyways). Kinda worried about the argument restarting if the novelization decides to tell us that that it was a love story after all and seeing the debates over this I've seen on other forums restart.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seems to me that it centers on whether you think there was a love story between the characters, much less should've been one. People who were very much against that happening seem to be the last pleased with the scene, given the heavy implications. I did not like that scene, but do think the reaction is a little over the top (given that it didn't go anywhere and the ending of the movie focuses on Rey's bonds with her friends and the Skywalkers, anyways). Kinda worried about the argument restarting if the novelization decides to tell us that that it was a love story after all and seeing the debates over this I've seen on other forums restart.
    TLJ and Rise are vague enough that I think you could make an argument that Ben loved Rey, but she didn't reciprocate those feelings. At least not in the same way. She cared for him, clearly. Wanted to save him. But maybe she saw him more as a brother. I'm not sure I'd agree with it, but I definitely think you could lay out a case for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well truth be told, there's that whole Luke and Leia thing?!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Well truth be told, there's that whole Luke and Leia thing?!!
    Yeah, but they did not know they were related at the time. But I get your point lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

You know when I first saw the trailer where Finn had the lightsaber in TFA I thought he was going to be the Jedi protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    You know when I first saw the trailer where Finn had the lightsaber in TFA I thought he was going to be the Jedi protagonist.
    So did we all.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Alot of people did, but it was clearly misdirection because a lot of the fun of the the build up to TFA was the speculation on who was who and what the plot would be.

Either way they botched Finn. Even if he wasn't a Jedi, having a strom trooper who should theoretically be a great military ops type character would be unique in Star Wars. You really had an opportunity to have Rey handle the mystical stuff, Poe to handle space dogfights, and Finn to be the ground general who was leading men in the war.

Finn's biggest problem was that his first film he was saddled with being the kinda goofy skeptic fish out of water. The second film any momentum or growth he could have had was undermined by being saddled with Rose who only really existed to tell him that all his bravery was wrong and undermined any character development he was having. Then in the last film we actually did see a competent Finn, but by that point it was too late to make him important to the degree that I think even the filmmakers realized it would be too left field to give him an overt major development like him being a force user.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The movies aren't a love story. There is a bond between the characters, for sure, but it's not really a romantic one. Yes, she kisses him at the very end....that doesn't turn the whole story into a love story. I took that as a kind of "what may have been" type moment.

Rey had affection for Ben Solo, and hated Kylo Ren.

Ben had affection for Rey, but Kylo Ren wanted to turn her to the dark side.

They're each in a kind of unique situation that really only the other character can appreciate, so they're very much alone except for each other, despite their differences. I think that's the reason for their bond. Then the third movie added a specific explanation for it with the "one from two" comment made by Palpatine. Which to me seemed a bit forced, like an attempt to make something concrete that didn't need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    The movies aren't a love story. There is a bond between the characters, for sure, but it's not really a romantic one. Yes, she kisses him at the very end....that doesn't turn the whole story into a love story. I took that as a kind of "what may have been" type moment.

Rey had affection for Ben Solo, and hated Kylo Ren.

Ben had affection for Rey, but Kylo Ren wanted to turn her to the dark side.

They're each in a kind of unique situation that really only the other character can appreciate, so they're very much alone except for each other, despite their differences. I think that's the reason for their bond. Then the third movie added a specific explanation for it with the "one from two" comment made by Palpatine. Which to me seemed a bit forced, like an attempt to make something concrete that didn't need to be.
    That does seem to be a point of contention, of what exactly that final scene was trying to communicate. Hence why I'm curious what the novelization will say.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)