Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Howard the Duck - What am I missing?

Hi everyone.

New to the forum but read comics for 18 years now

I follow this great forum since 2009. Really like it.

So, regarding the subject, I went to see the Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday (really cool movie) and I saw the after credit scene.

This is a spoiler from the after credit scene, so if you are not interested, please stop reading now...

Ok, so Howard the Duck appears at the end and I just read in a lot of foruns and saw the reference to him on comic con 2014... Many people are getting really excited due to his appearance.

Why is that?

I remember seeing a movie from him when I was really young and I saw some appearances of him on some books but I really don't understand why there are so many people getting excited with is appearance.

Thank you for everything and sorry for the mystakes I've possible wrote. Portuguese is my first language :S

Welcome to the forum!

Anyway, it's likely because Howard has a chance to breakout from his cult character status and be popular. As well as possibly have a movie of his own that won't be bad.

Because that original Howard the Duck movie...to say it's bad is an understatement.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Anyway, it's likely because Howard has a chance to breakout from his cult character status and be popular. As well as possibly have a movie of his own that won't be bad.

Because that original Howard the Duck movie...to say it's bad is an understatement.
    Thanks for the answer

Well, I wasn't a huge fan of the GotG (not reading much of their stories) but now I like them very much... Sometimes movies can make this on people, so I understand what you are saying of having a chance to breakout from his cult character status

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NunoTaborda View Post
    So, regarding the subject, I went to see the Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday (really cool movie) and I saw the after credit scene.

This is a spoiler from the after credit scene, so if you are not interested, please stop reading now...
    Can I suggest you change the thread title? True, most people will have probably seen the movie by now, but if they haven't, it's a little too late to say "this is a spoiler for the movie" in the text of the thread when you've put "Howard the Duck" in the title of the thread - the second you say this is a movie spoiler that title tells people the spoiler involves Howard.

Someone else on CBR did virtually the same thing last week, a day or so after the movie opened, and spoiled that scene for me as I had not seen the film yet.

I think the real spoiler was that the Adam Warlock cocoon was open in that scene.

He was the comedic center of the Marvel universe for a good while before Deadpool while being less about super hero violence and more about absurd stuff.

Personally, I always wanted someone to do right by him and for him to get a more stable role in the Marvel universe to point out the ridiculousness that gets played straight. However it would take talented and very comedic creators (on writing and on art) to get something like that up and running and these days that pairing is hard to put together for an extended period.

BANNED

Howard the Duck no longer exists in the 616 comic universe though. Steve Gerber, the creator, was writing both a Marvel book and an Image book back in the 90's and he did a stealth crossover between a Spiderman book and a Savage Dragon book that basically moved the real Howard the Duck to Image comics. Short version is that in the Spidey issue Spidey is teaming up with Howard and there are all kinds of clone Howards made. In the course of the issue they meet up with two shadowy figures who are obviously Savage Dragon and Destroyer Duck (an alt version of Howard that Gerber created at one point). Spidey eventually rescues what he thinks is the real Howard and takes off with him. In the Savage Dragon issue though its revealed that the duck Spidey rescued, he's seen in shadows there, was just one of the fake soulless clones. The real Howard ended up with Savage Dragon and Destroyer Duck. Howard changed his name to Leonard, dyed his feathers green, and went into hiding.

So yeah basically he was Deadpool wacky before Deadpool got huge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

Actually, that's a better description of the soulless clones....or maybe the universe around him.

Howard is...hard to describe. I look at him as the single spot of sanity in a sometimes very stupid universe (with that universe sharing more with ours than the Marvel superhero universe).

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Howard the Duck under Steve Gerber was one of the most idiosyncratically funny books that Marvel ever published. It was social satire wrapped in a funny animal book, and it was about as angry and misanthropic as one could get in a Code book. Even if some of the topics are dated, Gerber's run stands as a monument on how to do effective comedy and satire in a comic, and it has influenced everyone from Neil Gaiman to Priest to Al Ewing.

The development in GotG seems to be a new iteration of the character, but I couldn't help but get excited when I heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Howard the Duck no longer exists in the 616 comic universe though. Steve Gerber, the creator, was writing both a Marvel book and an Image book back in the 90's and he did a stealth crossover between a Spiderman book and a Savage Dragon book that basically moved the real Howard the Duck to Image comics. Short version is that in the Spidey issue Spidey is teaming up with Howard and there are all kinds of clone Howards made. In the course of the issue they meet up with two shadowy figures who are obviously Savage Dragon and Destroyer Duck (an alt version of Howard that Gerber created at one point). Spidey eventually rescues what he thinks is the real Howard and takes off with him. In the Savage Dragon issue though its revealed that the duck Spidey rescued, he's seen in shadows there, was just one of the fake soulless clones. The real Howard ended up with Savage Dragon and Destroyer Duck. Howard changed his name to Leonard, dyed his feathers green, and went into hiding.

That is just awesome and I never knew this happened.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

there's supposedly an omnibus coming this year from Marvel. So, we'll see how much it sells. Pony up, Howard fans.

Hopefully an animated series can be produced for cable TV.

The guys I went to see the movie with (non-comic fans) were kind of disappointed with the post-credit scene.
    Their reaction "we waited for this?... a talking duck?"

I didn't share the same reaction though, hoping James Gunn/Feige has something clever up their sleeve.
    Maybe Howard might pop-up in every Marvel movie post-credit scene, remember when Sam Jackson's Fury was always expected in a post-credit scene.
    Maybe Howard can now take that place.

Anyway, the idea of Howard in a cosmic adventure film is kind of intriguing, maybe he can feature in a Warlock film.
    But only if these guys make Warlock the way Starlin meant him to be.

BANNED

I took my son, age 18, to it and he was utterly baffled by the scene. He first asked if it was supposed to be a joke because he didn't get it and then just thought it was stupid. Definitely wasn't intended for the non comic book reading audience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    That is just awesome and I never knew this happened.
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-unlice...famous-comics/

Its #3 on this list of stealth crossovers with some screenshots from the actual issues.

I personally liked the after credits scene casue it fit with the movie rather than serve as a trailer/tease for another movie. This way Guardians stands alone as its own movie. We already had the tease for Age of Ultron at the end of the Winter Soldier, so another was not necessary.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-