Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Star Wars:Rise of Skywalker Box Office

It opened much lower than expected. I think it is going to struggle to reach a billion.

Box Office USA: 176 million opening weekend

World Wide: 376 million dollars.

The movie has bombed in China,the one market that helps most films get to a billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    It opened much lower than expected. I think it is going to struggle to reach a billion.

The movie has bombed in China,the one market that helps most films get to a billion.
    While for most films that would be great IMO something billed as the end of the Skywalker Saga that is kind of pathetic. But as for China Star Wars has never been that popular there so the China part is no shock even if amazing I would predict it doing bad in China.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    While for most films that would be great IMO something billed as the end of the Skywalker Saga that is kind of pathetic. But as for China Star Wars has never been that popular there so the China part is no shock even if amazing I would predict it doing bad in China.
    It's not really sad or pathetic at all, aside from Peter Jackson's Lord of the rings films genre films tend to do less with each chapter and I don't think anyone was expecting this to buck the trend.

Astonishing Member

Disney's Projections was a conservative 165. It went up after premiere night was so high but at least it met expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    While for most films that would be great IMO something billed as the end of the Skywalker Saga that is kind of pathetic
    No question there.

Ultimate Member

https://deadline.com/2019/12/star-wa...se-1202816735/

The movie is having the second biggest Xmas day of all time. It beat out the Last Jedi.

It seems the movie is closing the gap on TLJ because it’s holding out better TLJ. It’ll probably hit a billion around the end of the year.

Honestly, I don’t think people actually hate this movie as much TLJ.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Honestly, I don’t think people actually hate this movie as much TLJ.
    Don't confuse apathy with respect. Audiences don't care about Star Wars anymore, even hatred is too good for TROS.

Apathy fosters disappointing box office just as much as hate does. In fact I'd argue far more so. People aren't spending their holidays seeing a movie because they don't give a crap. The film isn't putting up the numbers the franchise used to. This is documented by now. But that's a far cry from no one caring anymore, as is also documented.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-26-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I like how some people have transition from "TROS isn't going coming close to making a billion dollars" to "well 1 billion dollars is disappointing for a Star Wars movie". I can't wait until they figure out by end of weekend Star Wars is going about 1 billion worldwide.

Arrow

I'm not surprised the opening was down. Many people were not happy with the leaks (most of which turned out to be true).

I have friends who live in China and they've told me they do not care about Rey (they say she is a boring "Mary Sue") and they didn't like the return of Palpatine either. And they tell me they don't like Finn in China because of his race (they are very open about this unlike people in the West).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens also bombed in China. Star Wars doesn't do well in China or India as a rule. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-china-1075177)

And the idea that China is needed for a movie to cross a billion dollars isn't true. It's true for some movies but not true for Joker 2019 and the previous Star Wars movie. TLJ earned $42 million from china when it's global gross is well over $1bn so it was only a small part of its gross.

TROS' low gross likely stems from the fact that TLJ was so divisive, followed in turn by SOLO which was the first Star Wars movie to bomb at the box-office. Likewise, it's competing with The Mandalorian on Disney Plus...so it's got a lot of monkeys on its back. Add in the fact that Carrie Fisher died, which means that the idea of seeing one of the OT's protagonists in a big expanded role in her send-off movie isn't there either.

So that's why the movie is doing so badly. But word of mouth seems to be good, and I think in the end TROS will do quite well for itself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens also bombed in China. Star Wars doesn't do well in China or India as a rule. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-china-1075177)

And the idea that China is needed for a movie to cross a billion dollars isn't true. It's true for some movies but not true for Joker 2019 and the previous Star Wars movie. TLJ earned $42 million from china when it's global gross is well over $1bn so it was only a small part of its gross.

TROS' low gross likely stems from the fact that TLJ was so divisive, followed in turn by SOLO which was the first Star Wars movie to bomb at the box-office. Likewise, it's competing with The Mandalorian on Disney Plus...so it's got a lot of monkeys on its back. Add in the fact that Carrie Fisher died, which means that the idea of seeing one of the OT's protagonists in a big expanded role in her send-off movie isn't there either.

So that's why the movie is doing so badly. But word of mouth seems to be good, and I think in the end TROS will do quite well for itself.
    I'm amused the only Disney movies I bothered to watch in theaters this year (and also enjoyed), Maleficent Mistress of Evil and Rise of Skywalker, are some kind of commercial underdogs for them, even if Star Wars (and also the new Jumanji) has at least a month of a blockbuster wasteland in front of it to take advantage of.

Incredible Member

If the movie doesn't make 1 billion it will be considered a disappointment, especially since the 8 movies that are members of the billion dollar club this year only 2, Avengers and Frozen seemed a lock for it.

The others are 2 live action remakes of animated films, Aladdin and Lion King, the umpteenth Spider-man and Toy Story movies, a female led Superhero film featuring an obscure character and an actress mostly known for indy films, and a period piece supervillain origin story.

I doubt any one at Disney is going to be popping corks on champagne bottles because the much hyped "conclusion" of Star Wars made more money than a Fast and Furious spin-off and it's got to make another 300 million to do that

It will make a billion dollars. I would say that some of the decline can be chalked up to the portion of fandom that didn't like the direction the franchise seemed to be going in as a result of TLJ and have expressed their displeasure by skipping subsequent installments... and as a result of JJ's attempt to "course correct" with Rise, we ended up with an overstuffed movie that feels like it should've been split into two movies to give the emotional beats and plot developments more space. And of course TLJ had plenty of enthusiastic fans who are not happy to see the franchise return to a more nostalgic approach and may not go for a repeat viewing, assuming they don't skip it entirely.

That said, i did enjoy it and will see it again. Its an entertaining popcorn flick, as an old-timer i appreciated all the "fan service" moments.

The whole situation seems somewhat reminiscent of BvS and Justice league, where BvS made a ton of money but turned off enough fans in the process that WB attempted an awkward course correction that fully pleased nobody. Coming off of TLJ and the lackluster Solo, Disney was in a similar position with this movie but imo they handled it better, perhaps because they simply returned to the TFA approach entirely instead of doing a half-and-half approach like Justice League. You can't say Disney wasn't fully committed to embracing nostalgia whereas JL wanted to have dour Snyderverse elements plus Whedon quips.

Mighty Member

I actually think the fact it has such a downbeat ending will affect it.
    People want to laugh at Christmas, not cry.