Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
Don't worry, these folks can move goalposts as adeptly as Jedi... anything in service to their need to convince others that a movie they hate is one that everybody else is required to hate, too. And of course, since its impossible to disprove any statement along the lines of "the movie would've made more money if they had done it the way i say they should've", the argument will [theoretically] never end.

I will say, at least these arguments, whether bad faith or not, do come from a place of passion. People don't bother to go on and on about movie franchises they are indifferent to, but ones that they were fans of, at least at some point. Probably the closest i've come to "the dark side" is the DC movies, where i disliked Snyder's films a lot because i like DC characters and felt they deserved better. But that's off topic.
I don't know. I really, really did not like the Last Jedi. It had it's moments but, overall, I really did not like it. But I'm not playing this game of pretending it wasn't an overwhelming success just because I didn't like it.

But we've seen this game played enough times now to know how it goes. It won't make a billion. Then it does but that somehow doesn't prove it was popular. It may possibly even move into accusations of Disney buying tickets.

But I also agree that, for those who will never admit to how popular and successful it is, it comes not from apathy about Star Wars but from a place of passion about what they feel Star Wars was and should always be.