Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    I find this excuse, given by Terio, to be pretty limp. Abrams and Terio wrote this movie, and if they'd genuinely wanted to give Tran more to do they could have just wrote more scenes that involved her. They didn't so we're left with a situation where they deliberately sidelined her character in favor of Keri Russel and Lando's daughter, two characters that I could have done without entirely, and seemed to only be in the movie to make sure they could bust the idea of Finn-Poe relationship.
    100% agreement here.
    If they'd wanted Rose in this film, why didn't they make her part of the 'trio' instead of Rey?
    I like REG, Russell and Monaghan very much, but they were completely unnecessary here, although Russell was interesting. The others were shoehorned in at the cost of Gleeson and Tran. Harris would have been better as Finn's long lost sister, her being Lando's daughter added nothing to the story, apart from endorsing that Lando was firmly heterosexual after what was said about his character in Solo.

Rose was a creation of Johnson, so naturally she had to go.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Also big point is, Vader kinda had to die becase he was this old relic of a bygone era and all his peers were gone and he was a complete symbol of the Empire's tyranny. There was no place for him in a world post the Empire. Kylo was a young guy who redeemed himself and the hard part was trying to live a life in the world he previously rejected. So him dying just kinda feels cheap like they wanted to wrap everything up so they could end the story and pay homage to Vader's sacrifice. It's like "see he's good, and now he's dead"
    Vader was a hollow man - he'd lost the love of his life, his body was ruined, and he had no life.
    His death was a mercy, he gave his life for his son, knowing that his bloodline and that of Padme would live on through their children.
    Kylo meanwhile, was a young and fit man who by all accounts had had a miserable childhood, and was physically and emotionally abused by Snoke. He could have done with a fresh start with Rey, and the two of them were soulmates who could have had a life together atoning for the mistakes of the past and maybe having children of their own.
    But no, Kylo must die, and Rey must end up back where she started. I'm sorry but this is about as 'hopeful' as the ending of Seven.

I think this whole series would have been better if they'd focused on Kylo Ren as a villain protagonist and not had any of the Finn/Poe/Rey stuff at all.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I find this excuse, given by Terio, to be pretty limp. Abrams and Terio wrote this movie, and if they'd genuinely wanted to give Tran more to do they could have just written more scenes that involved her. They didn't so we're left with a situation where they deliberately sidelined her character in favor of Keri Russel and Lando's daughter, two characters that I could have done without entirely, and seemed to only be in the movie to make sure they could bust the idea of Finn-Poe relationship.
    Like I said, not a good situation.

I think this whole series would have been better if they'd focused on Kylo Ren as a villain protagonist and not had any of the Finn/Poe/Rey stuff at all.
    Aw, man, that'd take out my favorite characters from the mix.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

What this series should have done was sort out Leia, Han and Luke Rirst, then focus on Rey, Poe and Finn but JJ Abrams loves his mystery box so much and felt perhaps there needs to be a grand build UP to getting han, leia or luke have a scene together, he lost the map.

Looking back now its was silly for Luke to just show up at the end with no words in TFA, when Luke could have met Han and Rey in the middle of the film and established something with Rey that carried over to Last Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Aw, man, that'd take out my favorite characters from the mix.
    I do like those characters, but if I were writing the story I probably would have made The First Order more like one of the various splinter fanatical groups in the middle east and SWA rather than Empire 2.0.

Then I'd have focused on the fact that Ben took a backseat to his parents interpersonal drama and roles as vaunted heroes of the republic, when he starts "acting out" Leia ships him off to his uncle.

Since Jedi aren't really a thing (due to the purge 30 years prior) he sees this as abandonment.

Then move forward with most of the stuff we see with Ben and Luke in TLJ.

I think that's the more interesting stuff to build on.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Mighty Member

I do like those characters, but if I were writing the story I probably would have made The First Order more like one of the various splinter fanatical groups in the middle east and SWA rather than Empire 2.0.

Then I'd have focused on the fact that Ben took a backseat to his parents interpersonal drama and roles as vaunted heroes of the republic, when he starts "acting out" Leia ships him off to his uncle.

Since Jedi aren't really a thing (due to the purge 30 years prior) he sees this as abandonment.

Yes.
    Finn and Rey could still have been interesting cast members, if Rey had remained Rey Nobody and they had gone further into the consequences of Finn's going AWOL.
    But....
    I think the major problem was Poe. I like Oscar, but even he admitted it was wrong to keep him alive after TFA.

As a result he essentially stole Ben Solo's place in TROS. He flew his father's ship, was pictured at his mother's deathbed and was practically in every scene in TROS, while Kylo had his scenes cut and didn't even play a major part in the end confrontation with Palpatine, apart from being a metaphorical organ donor for the great Rey.
    Unfortunately this only served to make him even more irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Which is why it should have been revealed that he killed Snoke, and that he wasn't responsible for Starkiller.
    Yet another thing that annoyed me about the film is that the foundations laid by Johnson were completely thrown away. He hinted at the possibility that the Resistance were not all 'sweetness and light' by showing that they got their weapons from the same suppliers as the First Order, and Poe's bloodthirsty attitude at the beginning, when he destroyed the Dreadnought sacrificing so many of his comrades in the process.
    Even Rose was shown as a fanatic at the beginning, by being willing to taser any Resistance member who understandably wanted to flee a doomed ship, which was why I loved her character arc so much.
    It would have been interesting if TROS had played on that theme, and I would have liked Poe to have taken over earlier and been more ruthless than Leia, rather like Saw Guerrero in Rogue One, but I guess it was too complex for Disney.
    So much hate for The Last Jedi, yet the best thing about it was it showed people as shades of grey rather than black and white.

I would have liked to see what Johnson would have done with TROS, if he'd been allowed to direct it.
    Personally I don't really see much of a set up of anything in TLJ. Especially when Johnson took a scorched earth approach of all the mysteries in TFA. The only thing I really see set up is the Reylo thing which IMO came out of left field.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    What this series should have done was sort out Leia, Han and Luke Rirst, then focus on Rey, Poe and Finn but JJ Abrams loves his mystery box so much and felt perhaps there needs to be a grand build UP to getting han, leia or luke have a scene together, he lost the map.

Looking back now its was silly for Luke to just show up at the end with no words in TFA, when Luke could have met Han and Rey in the middle of the film and established something with Rey that carried over to Last Jedi.
    While that is true it's not like Johnson was written into a corner. They could have still formed a bond in TLJ. Unfortunaley the film focused too much on deconstruction. So that kind of hurt it and made Kylo's kill the past mantra a stronger theme then anything that might've opposed it.

Overall, Kylo's character arc was weak and disappointing. There was a lot of potential built up in TFA, then it shifted gears quite a bit in TLJ, only to shift again in RoS. His redemption moment came right out of nowhere, and wasn't earned. It just felt like someone thought he should be redeemed but really weren't sure how to do it organically, so they just forced it into the movie.

Plus, why was he even looking for the wayfinder? It was never mentioned before. Considering how the entire focus of TFA was finding Luke, and just how difficult it was to do that, the Sith hideout seemed awfully easy to find for everyone. They left the key to finding it lying around on some crappy dirtworld!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Royaly disliking these Disney Star Wars movies and Rey, I will have to admit, I would have definitely given your idea to watch.
    Lots of back story could have been told on him.
    He and Finn were the 2 most interesting for me to watch.
    Round Head and Jar Jar destroyed my beloved legacy characters.
    D___! Disney for ruining their chance on these sequels with this franchise.
    Last edited by Hawkgirl_70; 01-03-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

First two days in January propel 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker' to $840m Worldwide (update)!

https://www.screendaily.com/box-offi...145899.article

JANUARY 3 UPDATE: Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker has climbed to $840m at the global box office after adding $24.3m on Thursday (January 2).

The sci-fi grossed $15.1m internationally to reach $423m, and $9.2m in North America for $417m. The film has earned $61.1m in the UK, $50.2m in Germany, $40.5m in Japan, $40.3m in France, $24.9m in Australia, and $18.8m in China.

Spain has produced $16.8m, Mexico $13.7m, Italy $13.2m, Brazil $10.6m, Russia $9.5m, and Sweden $8.7m.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Okay, I can see that. Sounds like a decent premise to me. Things is, for me, Kylo Ren was never the draw for the movie. I think he was a good antagonist, Adam Driver played him well, and all that. But, for me, those lead characters we met in TFA were the thing that hooked me. I was literally more interested in where Rey came from then the exacts of what lead Kylo Ren to join the First Order. Liked that we got that, you understand, but, I guess, to me, it was never Kylo's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Plus, why was he even looking for the wayfinder? It was never mentioned before. Considering how the entire focus of TFA was finding Luke, and just how difficult it was to do that, the Sith hideout seemed awfully easy to find for everyone. They left the key to finding it lying around on some crappy dirtworld!
    Well, it was explained that he was looking for it to deal with Palpatine before the latter was a threat to his rule of the First Order, so he never has reason to look for it before, nor do we really know how long he was searching. Also, it wasn't just anywhere, it was on Mustafar, which makes sense, given Vader lived there (in fact, the reference material states that it was being stored in his castle).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Vader was a hollow man - he'd lost the love of his life, his body was ruined, and he had no life.
    His death was a mercy, he gave his life for his son, knowing that his bloodline and that of Padme would live on through their children.
    Kylo meanwhile, was a young and fit man who by all accounts had had a miserable childhood, and was physically and emotionally abused by Snoke. He could have done with a fresh start with Rey, and the two of them were soulmates who could have had a life together atoning for the mistakes of the past and maybe having children of their own.
    But no, Kylo must die, and Rey must end up back where she started. I'm sorry but this is about as 'hopeful' as the ending of Seven.
    Ren was part of a group that destroyed an entire star system and was personally responsible for many deaths including his own father. There really was no way he was going to have a fresh start with all the crimes he is guilty of. He made a choice between himself and Rey, his sacrifice allowed the Jedi to continue.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Ren was part of a group that destroyed an entire star system and was personally responsible for many deaths including his own father. There really was no way he was going to have a fresh start with all the crimes he is guilty of. He made a choice between himself and Rey, his sacrifice allowed the Jedi to continue.
    Ah yes, the Jedi. Who abducted children from their parents and allowed slavery to flourish. During WW2 many ordinary German soldiers were spared Nuremberg because this they were simply young men who had nothing to do with the death camps.....but we're still part of the Third Reich.

You could say the Resistance were also responsible for many deaths. Not everyone on Starkiller were planet killers. How many were merely technicians, medical staff, cooks, janitors? Like Finn.

How many stormtroopers died at the hands of the rebels? All of whom, like Finn and Jannah, were children abducted and brainwashed. Not unlike Kylo Ren, psychologically manipulated from birth, neglected by parents who sent him away to a master who tried to kill him.
    What about saintly Poe, whose actions resulted in the deaths of a number of his own comrades? And who dealt drugs in his youth?
    But hey, he's Poe. So it's all cool.

Kylo made some bad choices. But his father forgave him. Far better he should live and atone for his past.
    Sorry, but that ending's a cop out.

By the way is Rey going to face a trial for war crimes for destroying a ship with Force lightning?

BANNED

Ah yes, the Jedi. Who abducted children from their parents and allowed slavery to flourish.
    The part about abducting children has no basis. Anakin wasn't abducted.