Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Now let's see how the proclaimed experts told the story

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-ris...tment-bad-why/
    The Rise of Skywalker Is A Box Office Disappointment (Despite Grossing $1 Billion)

https://cosmicbook.news/star-war-sky...e-huge-failure
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Box Office Huge Failure

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...chise-history/
    Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Suffers Unprecedented Box Office Drop
    LOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL L EXPERTS LOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!

Now last me make it easier as ABC, 123 and do re mi.
    Episode 7 made about 2.3 billion dollars worldwide, if you read my last post I said it did okay with China, the real question here is why didn't that numbers grow? like Avengers grew and transfers grew with their sequels. it easy. the new movies are not that good and star wars has higher standards of quality or information out there the new star wars movies declined in box office both in USA, China, Europe
    Anyways here is what keeps going over your head. Somethings can only happen with a certain amount of build up Episode 7 and Endgame are two prime examples of that. Episode 7 is example of hype at beginning and Endgame is example of hype at the end. But either way both of those things are nowhere close to be within the norms. You can talk about Star Wars not growing movie to movie or standards of quality but what you can't do talk about Force Awakens numbers as if they are the norms for the franchise. Force Awakens success is built on "Hey this first new Star Wars movies we thought we weren't getting" "Hey this first modern Star Wars movie" "Hey this first Star Wars after the "disappointing" prequels"." Hey look all your favorites are back" Force Awakens was hype monster. Talking about it like is accurate measure is liking about talking Endgame like all Avengers movies are suppose to perform that well. They are huge anomalies.

Star wars domestically should have stayed within the 700m range by now considering episode 7 made 900m. when you consider the drops between episode 4 and 5 and episode 1 and 2.
    Domestically 700 million is freaking Titanic and Avatar numbers the runs they did to get those numbers are insane. Nothing even the Avengers franchise should be expected to average that.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-05-2020 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    LOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL L EXPERTS LOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!

Anyways here is what keeps going over your head. Somethings can only happen with a certain amount of build up Episode 7 and Endgame are two prime examples of that. Episode 7 is example of hype at beginning and Endgame is example of hype at the end. But either way both of those things are nowhere close to be within the norms. You can talk about Star Wars not growing movie to movie or standards of quality but what you can't do talk about Force Awakens numbers as if they are the norms for the franchise. Force Awakens success is built on "Hey this first new Star Wars movies we thought we weren't getting" "Hey this first modern Star Wars movie" "Hey this first Star Wars after the "disappointing" prequels"." Hey look all your favorites are back" Force Awakens was hype monster. Talking about it like is accurate measure is liking about talking Endgame like all Avengers movies are suppose to perform that well. They are huge anomalies.

Domestically 700 million is freaking Titanic and Avatar numbers the runs they did to get those numbers are insane. Nothing even the Avengers franchise should be expected to average that.
    Two things I want to pin point here.

1. when you build up, you set the bar so only yourself can surpass or at least get close too, even if it is star wars. while many recent Disney movies have never had any High bar in quality, new star wars or avengers as prime examples, their quantity bar was High. I believe this is why Disney said Avengers 2 was a failure.

You could also make the good case that avengers 2012 had a High bar that was even more oringal star wars coming back after 35 years because it was the first time we saw a cross over comic movie on screen that has never been done before. star wars was already a thing.so avengers was a fresh idea and most of the sequels built on it money wise.

2. titanic and star wars numbers? isn't that interesting since episode 4 was once upon a time the highest grossing film of all time in the USA, a record that stood for years, maybe even longer than Avatar and Episode 1 was I think a top 5 domestic of all time in 1999.

those numbers of 400m-600m of 20 years ago is what 700m-900M is now for star wars standards. the last star wars two movies did not crack 1.5 billion when lion King is doing 1.6 billion
    Last edited by Beaddle; 02-05-2020 at 07:53 AM.

iMan 42s

I can't stress this enough and this goes for a lot of people; Wegotthiscovered is not a reputable source of information.

I hate to sound like someone's teacher when it comes to Wikipedia but Wegotthiscovered is so wrong one should outright disregard it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I can't stress this enough and this goes for a lot of people; Wegotthiscovered is not a reputable source of information.

I hate to sound like someone's teacher when it comes to Wikipedia but Wegotthiscovered is so wrong one should outright disregard it.
    Unfortunately this is one story they got right.

Ultimate Member

Two things I want to pin point here.

1. when you build up, you set the bar so only yourself can surpass or at least get close too, even if it is star wars. while many recent Disney movies have never had any High bar in quality, new star wars or avengers as prime examples, their quantity bar was High. I believe this is why Disney said Avengers 2 was a failure.

You could also make the good case that avengers 2012 had a High bar that was even more oringal star wars coming back after 35 years because it was the first time we saw a cross over comic movie on screen that has never been done before. star wars was already a thing.so avengers was a fresh idea and most of the sequels built on it money wise.
    I'm curious as to where Disney themselves stated themselves that Avengers 2 was a failure. Not rumored, actual quotes from Disney because Avengers 2 made a little less than the first one.

titanic and star wars numbers? isn't that interesting since episode 4 was once upon a time the highest grossing film of all time in the USA, a record that stood for years, maybe even longer than Avatar and Episode 1 was I think a top 5 domestic of all time in 1999.

those numbers of 400m-600m of 20 years ago is what 700m-900M is now for star wars standards. the last star wars two movies did not crack 1.5 billion when lion King is doing 1.6 billion
    Even adjusted, The Force Awakens outdid the Phantom Menace worldwide and The Last Jedi made far more than Attack of Clones. Revenge of the Sith just made a little more than The Rise of Skywalker domestically, so really, the current movies have been somewhat more successful than the prequels (especially worldwide). So, i'm not sure where you're getting assertions from because the numbers just don't support that. The original Star Wars had its record broken by E.T in 1983 (?) or so, so it wasn't the biggest film ever for as long as Titanic or Avatar.

And adjusted, the original Lion King was far bigger than virtually all the Star Wars movies with the exception of the Force Awakens, The Phantom Menace and A New Hope and generates billions in merchandise. The Lion King is a cultural phenomenon. Again, this just furthers my argument that Star Wars isn't the dominant franchise anymore. It's still massive but there's a lot of stuff outside that rivals it.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-05-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Even with my personal disappointment with the movie I'm surprised it is finishing behind TLJ. I was certain the previous pattern of third movies in the trilogy making more than the second but less than the first would continue regardless of the film's quality. I also thought the movie's legs would be better. Ah well. It still made more money than I'll ever see.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 02-05-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Even with my persona; disappointment with the movie I'm surprised it is finishing behind TLJ. I was certain the previous pattern of third movies in the trilogy making more than the second but less than the first would continue regardless of the film's quality. I also thought the movie's legs would be better. Ah well. It still made more money than I'll ever see.
    Return on the Jedi made less than ANH and ESB and it is actually the lowest earner in the Skywalker Saga yet, it was an amazing success. The original trilogy made less with each movie. I would think that the reason that ROTS made more than AOTC is Darth Vader...You will never be as strong as Darth Vader. These moves followed the "pattern" of the Original Trilogy.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 02-05-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member

Return of the Jedi made $252 million compared to $209 million for Empire. Currently Return has the lower overall worldwide total, but that is after the films were rereleased multiple times including the 1997 special editions, and international numbers from the early 80s don't seem to be available, but the international box office was nothing compared to what it is today. The point very much stands. At the time Jedi performed significantly better than Empire.

Ultimate Member

From Disney's earnings call today:

Disney’s studio arm was buoyed by strong performances at the box office by “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” and “Frozen II.” Studio operating income grew to $948 million, and that included offsets from losses racked up by the 20th Century Studios unit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...203492642/amp/

I dont think Disney is that displeased with the Rise of Skywalker's box office. A billion dollar grosser is still massive, no matter how one looks at it. Sure it could have done better but $500m domestic means that they have made a nifty profit on the movie.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    From Disney's earnings call today:

Disney’s studio arm was buoyed by strong performances at the box office by “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” and “Frozen II.” Studio operating income grew to $948 million, and that included offsets from losses racked up by the 20th Century Studios unit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...203492642/amp/

I dont think Disney is that displeased with the Rise of Skywalker's box office. A billion dollar grosser is still massive, no matter how one looks at it. Sure it could have done better but $500m domestic means that they have made a nifty profit on the movie.
    But...but...but it should have made more. Right?

Can this be over now? It's clearly not disappointing for anyone but those who hoped it would be a failure.

Unfortunately this is one story they got right.
    According to you, and I have to say that I don't find you to be that convincing, esp. after shifting the goalposts in the whole "TROS is a failure because it didn't make X amount of bank" thing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    But...but...but it should have made more. Right?

Can this be over now? It's clearly not disappointing for anyone but those who hoped it would be a failure.
    It will never be over for that group who takes issues with Finn, Rey & Rose existing.

No other legit concern matters-the fact those three were around was enough to call this film a failure.

Even if Disney is NOT happy-why oh why would they listen to Wegotitcovered and other sites? There is nothing those websites and any monetize youtuber can tell Disney that they would even consider. Because the suggestions would have NOTHING to do with the plot.

those numbers of 400m-600m of 20 years ago is what 700m-900M is now for star wars standards. the last two movies did not crack 1.5 billion.
    That doesn't make sense the very best films today only hit about 600 million domestically,They are only 5 films that have made that mark. They are also only 5 films to crack 500 million domestically. Guess which three films are in those two groups The Last Jedi, Rogue one and Rise of Skywalker. They are only two films Titanic(1997) and Dark returns(2008) that are before 2012 Avenger in that group. And if you take out that Avengers film all the films have between 2016 to 2019. A film making 600 million is phenomenon which only real start to about 5 years ago You don't seem to get 600 million is not the standard for anything. The only franchise that come close to making that claim is Avengers.

Saying Star Wars should hit 700 million and above is not based on any realistic understand of the market. Not even the gold standard of money making had/has that expectation. Force Awaken indicator that films after underperformed but Force Awaken is such anomaly it is not anything indicator of anything.

Had it earned $2B, the same people would be making the same tinfoil hat arguments.

Some people when they are wrong would rather burn everything down and go down swinging as opposed to just saying, "Hey I was wrong."

Most of us don't care if somebody is wrong. Just eat the humble pie.

Or ignore the attention seekers.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Had it earned $2B, the same people would be making the same tinfoil hat arguments.

Some people when they are wrong would rather burn everything down and go down swinging as opposed to just saying, "Hey I was wrong."

Most of us don't care if somebody is wrong. Just eat the humble pie.

Or ignore the attention seekers.
    That is what I find so strange about this “The Rise of Skywalker is a Massive Failure” being peddled peddled by to many you tubers?

Yes I learned a good time ago to be smarter and realize the net especially social media does not represent nearly at all the whole of any fandom, that is clear as can be. But what gets me is how adiment many of these content creators are in laying down the hard hammer how just Awful TRoS was and how it is a major failure by........what standard?!

That is the confusing part of ALL of this, what is the Standard that it is a success or failure for them?

The movie Just Surpassed Rogue One at the Box Office;

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker $1,061,665,721
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $1,056,057,273

Speaking of social media it has kept up to 86% in fan positivity in liking it. But some say that is some short of conspiracy now and it is fake? So when any other movie has a fan rating it should be considered fake now too? =/

Even most word of moth from my Real Life with Friends, Co-workers and even many comic book store patrons and my fellow Movie Going viewers at 3 showings of the movie all saying they Really LIKED TRoS! So Do THEY count less then some Tuber or social media regular?

*A Billion Dollar+ Box Office
    *Good Real Life reactions of the movie
    *Conflicting but still many positive fan scores

It is Very Hard to see how this movie is a failure.

I think many are just trying to make a narrative on You Tube and other places to convince many it is a disaster cause if They disliked it so much then they must shout it out with video after video on why it sucks to alter what seems to be the complete opposite.

I seriously don’t get what the standards where suppose to be, but IMO and seems like many others TRoS has succeeded against these headwinds.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!