Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I'd love to know what he personally thinks of the dog's dinner they've made of the last film?!��
    I'd like to know what Abrams and Johnson really think of each other and each other's movies? Johnson made a dog's dinner of everything Abrams set up by contradicting where it was leading and Abrams did the same to Johnson by changing everything back.

I think Disney has learned its lesson. From now on, have a clear vision and one person in control, not two people with two different and, on some issues, opposite visions.
    Power with Girl is better.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Tops New Year’s Eve Box Office!

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/s...ii-1203454679/

Moviegoers flocked to “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” on New Year’s Eve, choosing to ring in 2020 by ringing out the nine-film saga about the rise, fall, rise, fall, and rise again of cinema’s preeminent Jedi family.

The Walt Disney Studios and Lucasfilm release pulled in an estimated $13.1 million on Tuesday as much of the world prepared to pop the champagne on the year that was. That brings “The Rise of Skywalker’s” domestic total to $390.6 million, putting it in position to cross the $400 million mark at some point on New Year’s Day.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I think that Driver, Gleeson and Tran were all cheated in this film. Hux was practically shunted aside for Pride. Kylo had about thirty minutes of screen time compared to Poe Dameron, who was practically in almost every scene. - the last true Skywalker has his role reduced in favour of a character who was supposed to die in the first film.
    Personally, I don't think that Hux was that major a character, but yeah, it was pretty abrupt. Thing is, Kylo, member of the Skywalker/Solo family or not, was never one of the main characters (personally, I think the two sequels tried to make him the secondary protagonist, sometimes at the expense of the actual lead characters). Heck, Rey, not he, is the Skywalker who rises in TROS. Poe was one of the core lead characters, so yes, he would get more screen time. (I don't feel too sorry for Driver, though; he got some really good material to work with.)

But Tran's treatment was a disgrace. I genuinely liked both actress and character. Her one minute appearance was an insult. The idiots who whined that a fictional ship like Reylo was abusive got their own way, and so it seems did racist bigots.
    Not a good message to send, especially in a blockbuster Christmas film.
    I wanted Rose to have more to do, to be sure. Sounds like the plan was to give Tran more scenes with Leia, but the editing of the old footage didn't work. Still not a good situation, but everything sounds like the bigots had no effect on the movie. (Not sure how the anti-Reylos got their way, given that the movie seems to be more for the pro-Reylos then not.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Pro reylos in giving us a brief kiss then a huge finger by killing off Kylo in the most inane way possible, and turning Rey into a space nun.

At the end, if I had to choose whether Ben ended up with Rey, or survived I'd choose the latter any day. Reylo aside, Adam Driver's character was the best thing in the sequel trilogy.
    Dameron, Finn and Rey aren't a patch on him.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Tops New Year’s Eve Box Office!

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/s...ii-1203454679/

Moviegoers flocked to “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” on New Year’s Eve, choosing to ring in 2020 by ringing out the nine-film saga about the rise, fall, rise, fall, and rise again of cinema’s preeminent Jedi family.

The Walt Disney Studios and Lucasfilm release pulled in an estimated $13.1 million on Tuesday as much of the world prepared to pop the champagne on the year that was. That brings “Thee Rise of Skywalker’s” domestic total to $390.6 million, putting it in position to cross the $400 million mark at some point on New Year’s Day.
    I wonder how well it'll do post the holidays?

Ultimate Member

I wonder how well it'll do post the holidays?
    There will be massive drops post-holidays which is par for the course (due to schools and all resuming).

Pro reylos in giving us a brief kiss then a huge finger by killing off Kylo in the most inane way possible, and turning Rey into a space nun.
    Don't see anything about a nun anywhere, although I can see why pro Reylo fans would feel treated unfairly by Kylo dying at the end after at least a token nod to their fandom. Not sure his death was inane, though; it did make sense in context of the film.

At the end, if I had to choose whether Ben ended up with Rey, or survived I'd choose the latter any day. Reylo aside, Adam Driver's character was the best thing in the sequel trilogy.
    I think I liked the lead characters better then Kylo myself, although I agree he was an interesting antagonist. As far as him dying, I think that was inevitable once he was redeemed. Without him dying, that raises the questions of war crimes prosecution and all that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Don't see anything about a nun anywhere, although I can see why pro Reylo fans would feel treated unfairly by Kylo dying at the end after at least a token nod to their fandom. Not sure his death was inane, though; it did make sense in context of the film.

I think I liked the lead characters better then Kylo myself, although I agree he was an interesting antagonist. As far as him dying, I think that was inevitable once he was redeemed. Without him dying, that raises the questions of war crimes prosecution and all that.
    Yes, but this is fiction.

And look at Kylo's history. He executed the villagers on Jakku, but to him they were terrorists. Did any of the heroes waste a moment's thought on the civilians who died whenever they blew up a Star Destroyer? Medical personnel, technicians, maybe even wives and children....all died along with the space Nazis when the Death Star and Starkiller blew up. Poe sacrificed the lives of his own people to blow up a Dreadnought, and all he got was a demotion which was soon revoked when he became Leia's heir. No court martial for flyboy Poe, despite disobeying orders.

Kylo was firmly against the mass slaughter on Hosnia, that was Hux's baby. He murdered his own father but Han forgave him. Leia wanted her son brought home but still would have destroyed Starkiller with him on it for the '^greater good'.
    Kylo was actually coded as a mentally ill abuse survivor. I find it so very ironic that his family ultimately drove him to the Dark Side because they feared Vader's blood in him...yet happily bestowed their blessings on Palpatine's granddaughter regardless of her own family history.

Far better that Kylo lived and atoned for his sins. But Kathleen Kennedy wanted otherwise because so many people whined that Kylo 'abused' Rey by probing her mind.
    Rey meanwhile scarred his face and stabbed him in the gut, but it's okay guys she gets a free pass because she's 'uber woman'.

And as I said....this is after all, a fantasy film. With a horrible message and a truly depressing ending. By killing off the last of the line, Disney have forever tainted the entire saga. Han, Leia, Luke......Anakin. Did it all for nothing.
    The Emperor won.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Strong New Year’s Day box office propels 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker' to $815m Worldwide!

https://www.screendaily.com/box-offi...145899.article

Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker remains on course to cross the $1bn barrier at the global box office following a mighty New Year’s Day performance that boosted the global running total to $815.4m.

The sci-fi saga brought in $30.4m globally on Wednesday, adding $13.5m internationally for a $407.9m running total and $16.9m in North America for $407.5m. It crossed $800m in its 15th day of worldwide release, and $400m on its 13th day of release in North America.

Heading into its third weekend, The Rise Of Skywalker should have little trouble cruising past $900m worldwide as it bears down on the $1bn target to become the seventh film launched by Disney in 2019 to cross the barrier and the first of any film to do so in 2020.

At time of writing the UK remained the lead market by a comfortable margin on $58.9m, followed by Germany on $48.4m, France on $38.6m, Japan on $37.7m, and Australia on $24.1m.

The Rise Of Skywalker has earned $18.7m in China, $16.2m in Spain, $13.4m in Mexico, $12.9m in Italy, $10.3m in Brazil, $9.1m in Russia, and $8.3 in Sweden. Coming up next week is South Korea on January 8.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

In fairness Kylo was kind of a dead man walking the minute he took over the first order.

Extraordinary Member

Also big point is, Vader kinda had to die becase he was this old relic of a bygone era and all his peers were gone and he was a complete symbol of the Empire's tyranny. There was no place for him in a world post the Empire. Kylo was a young guy who redeemed himself and the hard part was trying to live a life in the world he previously rejected. So him dying just kinda feels cheap like they wanted to wrap everything up so they could end the story and pay homage to Vader's sacrifice. It's like "see he's good, and now he's dead"

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Also big point is, Vader kinda had to die becase he was this old relic of a bygone era and all his peers were gone and he was a complete symbol of the Empire's tyranny. There was no place for him in a world post the Empire. Kylo was a young guy who redeemed himself and the hard part was trying to live a life in the world he previously rejected. So him dying just kinda feels cheap like they wanted to wrap everything up so they could end the story and pay homage to Vader's sacrifice. It's like "see he's good, and now he's dead"
    Couldn't Kylo also be agrued to be a symbol of The First Order's tyranny? Even if Rey says everything's cool I don't think the resistance would be willing to forgive him.

Mighty Member

Which is why it should have been revealed that he killed Snoke, and that he wasn't responsible for Starkiller.
    Yet another thing that annoyed me about the film is that the foundations laid by Johnson were completely thrown away. He hinted at the possibility that the Resistance were not all 'sweetness and light' by showing that they got their weapons from the same suppliers as the First Order, and Poe's bloodthirsty attitude at the beginning, when he destroyed the Dreadnought sacrificing so many of his comrades in the process.
    Even Rose was shown as a fanatic at the beginning, by being willing to taser any Resistance member who understandably wanted to flee a doomed ship, which was why I loved her character arc so much.
    It would have been interesting if TROS had played on that theme, and I would have liked Poe to have taken over earlier and been more ruthless than Leia, rather like Saw Guerrero in Rogue One, but I guess it was too complex for Disney.
    So much hate for The Last Jedi, yet the best thing about it was it showed people as shades of grey rather than black and white.

I would have liked to see what Johnson would have done with TROS, if he'd been allowed to direct it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    And the worse thing is - no one even mentioned him after he died. Rey didn't even she'd a tear. Instead she rushed back into the embrace of her holier than thou friends, and we never heard a thing about Ben Solo. No Force ghost, no sad reminscence - nothing. This guy GAVE HIS LIFE FOR HER, yet she acted as if he'd never existed in the first place. Either rubbish script or bad editing or whatever, it beggars belief that the last blood Skywalker was just thrown away like that.
    I'm not surprised Driver wants nothing to do with SW any more.
    I feel exactly the same way, and I've loved them for forty odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I wanted Rose to have more to do, to be sure. Sounds like the plan was to give Tran more scenes with Leia, but the editing of the old footage didn't work. Still not a good situation, but everything sounds like the bigots had no effect on the movie. (Not sure how the anti-Reylos got their way, given that the movie seems to be more for the pro-Reylos then not.)
    I find this excuse, given by Terio, to be pretty limp. Abrams and Terio wrote this movie, and if they'd genuinely wanted to give Tran more to do they could have just written more scenes that involved her. They didn't so we're left with a situation where they deliberately sidelined her character in favor of Keri Russel and Lando's daughter, two characters that I could have done without entirely, and seemed to only be in the movie to make sure they could bust the idea of Finn-Poe relationship.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-03-2020 at 06:01 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum