Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The part about abducting children has no basis. Anakin wasn't abducted.
    No, they merely 'convinced' them they'd be better off.
    Then they refused to let them have any more contact with their families.

Good guys or not, I find that revolting. And they quite happily took orphans.
    The Jedi reminded me of a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    No, they merely 'convinced' them they'd be better off.
    Then they refused to let them have any more contact with their families.

Good guys or not, I find that revolting. And they quite happily took orphans.
    The Jedi reminded me of a cult.
    I agree with you that the idea of not letting them have contact with their families is revolting to me. But the prequels clearly showed it was still having outside attachments that caused Anakin to fall. But one could as easily argue that, had his mother been around and had he had something resembling a normal home life, he would never have gone to the Dark Side. Plus Luke proved that this monk mentality is not necessary.

I seriously suspect that these underlying dark aspects have a lot to do with the lack of popularity of the prequels.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ah yes, the Jedi. Who abducted children from their parents and allowed slavery to flourish. During WW2 many ordinary German soldiers were spared Nuremberg because this they were simply young men who had nothing to do with the death camps.....but we're still part of the Third Reich.

You could say the Resistance were also responsible for many deaths. Not everyone on Starkiller were planet killers. How many were merely technicians, medical staff, cooks, janitors? Like Finn.

How many stormtroopers died at the hands of the rebels? All of whom, like Finn and Jannah, were children abducted and brainwashed. Not unlike Kylo Ren, psychologically manipulated from birth, neglected by parents who sent him away to a master who tried to kill him.
    What about saintly Poe, whose actions resulted in the deaths of a number of his own comrades? And who dealt drugs in his youth?
    But hey, he's Poe. So it's all cool.

Kylo made some bad choices. But his father forgave him. Far better he should live and atone for his past.
    Sorry, but that ending's a cop out.

By the way is Rey going to face a trial for war crimes for destroying a ship with Force lightning?
    Kylo was pretty much set to die as soon as he started leading the first order. There is no way the rest of the galaxy would be ok with letting him live. I mean look at what happened to Leia the minute her parentage was revealed. I’m highly certain most resistance soldiers would’ve shot him on sight. TLJ kind of made a happy ending for him impossible. At best he would be exiled.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Kylo was pretty much set to die as soon as he started leading the first order. There is no way the rest of the galaxy would be ok with letting him live. I mean look at what happened to Leia the minute her parentage was revealed. I’m highly certain most resistance soldiers would’ve shot him on sight. TLJ kind of made a happy ending for him impossible. At best he would be exiled.
    Or let the galaxy think he was dead and start a new life away from it all.
    I'll never be cool with the way this film ended. LF erased the entire legacy family and offered a substitute by giving another character the Skywalker name.
    Hard to believe that half a dozen so called professional writers, and this was the best they could come up with.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I agree with you that the idea of not letting them have contact with their families is revolting to me. But the prequels clearly showed it was still having outside attachments that caused Anakin to fall. But one could as easily argue that, had his mother been around and had he had something resembling a normal home life, he would never have gone to the Dark Side. Plus Luke proved that this monk mentality is not necessary.

I seriously suspect that these underlying dark aspects have a lot to do with the lack of popularity of the prequels.
    If Anakin hadn't been forced to conceal his marriage, he might have been able to confide in Obi Wan of his fears about his wife.
    The outcome could have been very different.

I actually found that TROS promoted this idea that the Jedi must be space monks/nuns when the first two films seemed very against it. Another reason I was disappointed in it.

Kylo made some bad choices. But his father forgave him. Far better he should live and atone for his past.
    Sorry, but that ending's a cop out.
    I wish they would have borrowed elements of Ulic Qel Droma's story for this sequel, that's my favorite Star Wars "saga" in the entirety of the franchises history.

They *kind of* did with Luke, but Ulic's story translates better to Kylo.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Mighty Member

The fact is, Kylo Ren was the best thing in the PT. Likeable though they are none of the other characters come close to him. He's also, according to a poll asking people who they wanted to see most in TROS, the most popular. Like Hugh Jackman who played Wolverine in seven movies,Driver likes playing the character. Disney could have made a packet continuing his adventures alone.
    Instead they wanted to focus on Poe, Rey and Finn.

With weekend grosses in 1 billion is a sure thing, likely next weekend.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it's at $919 million now.

I'm not sure why people were suggesting it'll miss a billion.

Its Star Wars, outside of Solo, Disney's movies have all been huge and crossed a billion.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    With weekend grosses in 1 billion is a sure thing, likely next weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, it's at $919 million now.

I'm not sure why people were suggesting it'll miss a billion.

Its Star Wars, outside of Solo, Disney's movies have all been huge and crossed a billion.
    Yea I am Sure Disney is "Disppointed" with having Just Another Movie in the Billion Dollar Club.

Really this is only its 3rd Weekend and will likely hit over a Billion in the the Next week or 2.

Right Now the Total is For Weekend 3 Not counting Sunday yet;

Total: $918,796,441
    Domestic: $450,796,441
    Overseas: $468,000,000

Only 3 Weekends Right Now, This Includes Frozen II which itself Keeps Chugging Along at a Steady Pace and JUST Surpassed its Original 2013 Counterpart the 1st Frozen!

https://www.thewrap.com/frozen-ii-ta...iginal-frozen/

"It is still showing remarkable legs with $11.8 million grossed domestically in its Seventh Weekend. Overseas, it opened this weekend in Brazil, Argentina, and Bolivia, earning the highest openings ever for a Walt Disney Animation Studios release in those countries!"

"Disney sequel has now grossed $1.32 Billion Worldwide!"

"The original “Frozen,” which grossed $1.27 billion after its release in November 2013."

What My Point is with Bringing Up Frozen II is like its other Disney Counterpart Avengers: Endgame, Rise of Skywalker still has a good length of time in the Theaters and in a more none blockbuster time of the year it has a ways to go till it gets to its final total and will keep Chugging along like its counterparts did.

But It should never become a Norm to downplay the Billion Dollar club anymore, we are truly living in interesting time to have so many movies that can right now make it that far and connect with audience so much to achieve these results.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Extraordinary Member

It is still quite behind The Last Jedi, that movie had grossed more then 510 on it's 3rd weekend domestically.

So it looks like ROS will in the end gross something like 100-200 millon less then TLJ.

Btw. those movies are so expensive, I would guess that ROS is now very likely just around the point where it's breaks even.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It is still quite behind The Last Jedi, that movie had grossed more then 510 on it's 3rd weekend domestically.

So it looks like ROS will in the end gross something like 100-200 millon less then TLJ.

Btw. those movies are so expensive, I would guess that ROS is now very likely just around the point where it's breaks even.
    Strangely Enough it has Roughly the Same Budget Cost that Solo Did, so Both cost around:

275-300 Million to Make.

We all know how Solo sadly become a Bust, but the Last Jedi still Topped costs $200–317 million to make.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-r...e-budget-cost/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Last_Jedi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...er#cite_note-4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo:_A_Star_Wars_Story

I never have gotten what makes breaking even is, IMO it always just making abit over what it cost to budget the Movie to just get their money back, but yea I am not familiar with movie budget lingo.

Others might say it would need make doing that Plus 100% what what it cost back, which for Rise of Skywalker would be even if we added more to the Budget for Marketing and Promotions would mean it would likely be High-balling IMO need to Make 700-800 Million to be successful and it has already done that by its 3rd weekend alone by over 110 Million +!

This on-top of it still likely having over another month or maybe more in the Theaters and with the chugging Success that Frozen II, Captain Marvel & Avengers: Endgame had in the lang Chugging along game, Rise of Skywalker has a Likely long and more successful way to go.
    Last edited by CJStriker; 01-05-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Strangely Enough it has Roughly the Same Budget Cost that Solo Did, so Both cost around:

275-300 Million to Make.

We all know how Solo sadly become a Bust, but the Last Jedi still Topped costs $200–317 million to make.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-r...e-budget-cost/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Last_Jedi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...er#cite_note-4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo:_A_Star_Wars_Story

I never have gotten what makes breaking even is, IMO it always just making abit over what it cost to budget the Movie to just get their money back, but yea I am not familiar with movie budget lingo.

Others might say it would need make doing that Plus 100% what what it cost back, which for Rise of Skywalker would be even if we added more to the Budget for Marketing and Promotions would mean it would likely be High-balling IMO need to Make 700-800 Million to be successful and it has already done that by its 3rd weekend alone by over 110 Million +!

This on-top of it still likely having over another month or maybe more in the Theaters and with the chugging Success that Frozen II, Captain Marvel & Avengers: Endgame had in the lang Chugging along game, Rise of Skywalker has a Likely long and more successful way to go.
    Exactly.

TLJ grossed about $1.3bn and made a profit (after all deductions) of $400 million+. Meaning that movie didn't need to make a billion to make a profit. And that before taking into account home sales.

That being said, these movies are darn expensive. When you factor in the marketing and all, Disney spend a metric ton on these movies.

Extraordinary Member

@CJStriker

In the end it is really dependent on how much they have spend on marketing. If they spend around 100 Million they are very likely already making profit, if they spend 200 Million might still not have made their money back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

TLJ grossed about $1.3bn and made a profit (after all deductions) of $400 million+. Meaning that movie didn't need to make a billion to make a profit. And that before taking into account home sales.
    $1.3bn - $400 million is roughly 900 million, thats arround ROS made so far.

Thats why I said that ROS is now probably around the break even point.