Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Or let the galaxy think he was dead and start a new life away from it all.
    I'll never be cool with the way this film ended. LF erased the entire legacy family and offered a substitute by giving another character the Skywalker name.
    Hard to believe that half a dozen so called professional writers, and this was the best they could come up with.
    I don't like the fact that he died either but the whole legacy idea was already torn down at this point. I'd argue having half a dozen writers was part of the problem. Too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

Mighty Member

I've been a SW fan for over forty years.
    But for me this film has essentially ended my love for the franchise. The Skywalkers are gone, Han Solo's heir is gone. Looking back now,, it seems that everything the heroes did was for nothing. I don't even know if I can watch any of the previous films again anymore.

I was fine with the fate of the OT. They lived good lives for the most part, but most of all they left behind a descendant. I was happy to see what their legacy would leave.
    But now.....
    Rey Skywalker means nothing to me. I don't even like her anymore. I can't believe I defended both her character and the sequels to those denigrating them. Whatever they intend to do with Star Wars in the future, I'm done with them.
    They've finished the saga on the worst note possible. Maybe new fans might like the continuing adventures of Rey and her friends, but to quote Jon Snow, my watch has ended.

Up to about 927 million after Monday’s take

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Up to about 927 million after Monday’s take
    It may not clear 1.1 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    In your post which started this thread, you said it “would struggle to reach 1 billion.” Now you want to move the goalpost by $100 million? Ok, I guess.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

In your post which started this thread, you said it “would struggle to reach 1 billion.” Now you want to move the goalpost by $100 million? Ok, I guess.
    but hey, even with him moving the goal posts he'll still most likely be wrong as the rest of the month is still pretty soft so it's not likely to face much competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Thought you once said that the box office didn't matter?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Box office matters if one likes the movie or not.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    but hey, even with him moving the goal posts he'll still most likely be wrong as the rest of the month is still pretty soft so it's not likely to face much competition.
    I find this the funniest cause for as much as I have had some misfortune witnessing some of the Internet talking heads on YouTube and other platforms attempt to bass this movie and convince many it is a disappointment, it is still going to clear a 1 Billion easy and go likely further.

You think with how troubling some are giving it it should barely make Solo box office , but it still doing well and seems to have good legs.

The real truth is that by what I have witnessed with Both viewings I have gone to see of Rise of Skywalker, my coworkers, friends and even local comic stores friends nearly All say and left the theaters liking Rise of Skywalker a good deal!

Some can not like it and that is fine, but the reality between the net and the general public cannot be any further different. The goalpost can be changed all day long, Rise of Skywalker will still be profitable by the end of its run, its now just a case by how much.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Ultimate Member

When the movie came out, some folks on the internet were jumping all around that the movie won't hit a billion.

I found that incredulous because a) it shows how little folks understand box office b) people on the internet jump to conclusions too fast. I mean, some people are still saying that TROS has lost Disney money. Like seriously???

Now TROS is set to clear a billion with some change. I really don't know how much it will end up with but the "Rise of the Skywalker flopping narrative" has been blown to dust.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-09-2020 at 01:21 AM.

Let's also put something in proper perspective if you are not going to judge successes the same as other movies because Star Wars has higher profile or Disney is putting more money in advertising so it has to make more money to "break even". Then we have to talk about how success elsewhere( they made 10 billion on movies alone) makes it so a company like Disney can spend money more elsewhere and it not matter. Disney metrics for success and other companies for success is different. Sony and Microsoft sell Xbox and playstations at a loss in profit for years, They can do that because they have resources elsewhere lets not pretend that 200 million advertising campaign for Disney is the same as it is for Lionsgate. Disney is operating at loss for Disney plus because they make so much money elsewhere they can afford to take a hit for somethings. So let's stop pretending that Disney can't budget out its advertising pool of money independently from the cost of the movie. Lets not pretend that Disney can't surplus of profit from successful to cover the cost of other movies. If Success isn't the same lets not pretend "failure" is the same.

We know what a flop for Disney looks like it is called Dark Phoenix it loss Disney 120 million dollars and had to be mention by name in 3rd quarter fiscal report to investors. Do know how bad you have to be sink Disney earning for a fiscal quarter? TROS skywalker has clearly underperform domestically and China you can't spin the box office as unmitigated success story nobody is denying it should have done better. But there is a long way from doing better to stinking like Dark Phoenix.

Mighty Member

I think those that like me, liked The Last Jedi will hate it. Those that hated TLJ will love it. As it's been writte n and aimed at the latter it's not surprising.

The internet hate campaign has won.

Hold on everyone, I said it may struggle to reach a billion but I went further to say if the American legs is strong , it should. it is still a big disappointment overall for box office.

the movie has suffered an 81% plunge every week of its release.

I understand were the access media is coming from. the lost the rotten tomatoes war, to loose the box office war must be unbearable for them.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-09-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Box office does not matter when you are discussing the quality or film making aspect of a movie. JJ Abrams best film is still star trek 2009. Star Wars TFA being the highest grossing movie of all time USA does not matter to JJ Abrams body of work.

Well, ROS is poised to be Disney's 7th billion dollar film of 2019.

How is that a disappointment?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium