Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 335
  1. #181
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Currently ROS Box Office is just slightly ahead of Rogue One (and it might still fall behind that), and significantly behind TLJ, I don't think that was what Disney wanted for their final movie in the Star Wars Saga.
    It'll definitely be below what Disney expected. There's no way of spinning that.

    But the thing is, a movie can still be a massive hit and not be what the studios expected.

    TROS is for all intents and purposes a huge box office grosser and is a far away from being a flop. And even as a neutral (as in, not in Disney's studious) it's just difficult to call a billion dollar grosser a disappointment. However, what we feel and what Disney feel is quite different though.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  2. #182
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    All 3 trilogies had the first movie doing the best, then diminishing returns after each sequel.

    (adjusted)
    IV: ~$775M
    V: ~$547M
    VI: ~$475M

    I: ~$1B
    II: ~$656M
    III: ~$848M

    VII: ~$2B
    VIII: ~$1.3B
    IX: currently at ~$949

    RotS bucked the trend of the third being the worst earner but it had the promised birth of Vader and being the first PG-13 Star Wars going for it.
    Which is why I don't understand why anybody was thinking TROS was going to do better than the last two films. If anything, the latest film seems to be following established SW history.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

    Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

    Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

  3. #183
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    I'm fascinated that each film in the Disney Trilogy made a billion dollars while lowering expectations for the next film.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  4. #184
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Currently ROS Box Office is just slightly ahead of Rogue One (and it might still fall behind that), and significantly behind TLJ, I don't think that was what Disney wanted for their final movie in the Star Wars Saga.
    Wouldn't Disney be caring more about the fleet then the ship, so to speak?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  5. #185
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Currently ROS Box Office is just slightly ahead of Rogue One (and it might still fall behind that), and significantly behind TLJ, I don't think that was what Disney wanted for their final movie in the Star Wars Saga.
    It's par for the course and still in theaters.

    It still made a truckload of money.

    I guess Disney better pack it in.

    Why make a new Star Wars movie if it doesn't make TFA money?

    Why make a new animated movie if it doesn't make that Frozen money?

    Why make a new Marvel movie if it doesn't make that Endgame money?

    Disney is done.

    /s
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  6. #186
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Which is why I don't understand why anybody was thinking TROS was going to do better than the last two films. If anything, the latest film seems to be following established SW history.
    For whatever reason, there are small, weak but loud groups of people that want to see things fail because they think it's a slight against them if it's successful.

    Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, etc.

    There's a definite trend in online nerd culture. If it's not a white male doing all the cool power moves, it's terrible!

    If you truly think something is bad, don't spend money on it. Don't watch it. Don't talk about. You're just giving it power that way.

    It's okay to not like something and not waste your time tearing it down. Find something you like and engage in that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  7. #187
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9,804

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    It's par for the course and still in theaters.

    It still made a truckload of money.

    I guess Disney better pack it in.

    Why make a new Star Wars movie if it doesn't make TFA money?

    Why make a new animated movie if it doesn't make that Frozen money?

    Why make a new Marvel movie if it doesn't make that Endgame money?

    Disney is done.

    /s
    Yea, by some of the wrenching I hear on YouTube Star Wars isn’t a big game changer or money maker for Disney anymore, only losing. =/

    Guess that is the true Financial Reality for Disney Star Wars by Experts on the net, mayb..........

    Thanks to ‘The Mandalorian’ and a Successful Disney+ Launch, Disney’s Streaming Services are Valued at Over $100 Billion!

    https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/page/2

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/06/disn...s-believe.html


    Ohhhhh.....!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 01-10-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

  8. #188
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    I do think it's odd that ROS won't end up in the top 5 grossing worldwide for 2019. It did have the killer Christmas slot and failed to keep up the pace.

    Can Disney keep the budget down for the next movie? Will the GA come back for a brand new cast? Is it just a case of diminishing box office receipts as each new movie gets made until they cancel the franchise altogether?

  9. #189
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I do think it's odd that ROS won't end up in the top 5 grossing worldwide for 2019. It did have the killer Christmas slot and failed to keep up the pace.

    Can Disney keep the budget down for the next movie? Will the GA come back for a brand new cast? Is it just a case of diminishing box office receipts as each new movie gets made until they cancel the franchise altogether?
    1. Superheroes are THE THING right now. Star Wars first came out during the height of sci-fi and fantasy films. Since it combined both, it exploded. It also didn't have westerns to content with anymore. It was also far enough removed from the old school movie serials, it drew in a novelty crowd. The PT started to see signs of competition with SPIDER-MAN. So I am not very surprised. I am more surprised about Frozen & Toy Story making a billion.

    2. The next trilogy is rumored to feature a middle-aged Yoda and the High Republic era, which is new ground for the franchise.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-10-2020 at 10:59 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  10. #190
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,939

    Default

    One overlooked factor in the Sequel movies' diminishing box office is the decision to kill off the protagonists of the Original Trilogy. Regardless of whether it was a sound storytelling decision (not the way I would have done it, but I can dig it), the return of the Original Trilogy characters (after their absence in the Prequels) was a big part of the initial draw for the Sequels before the release of THE FORCE AWAKENS. Sure, people were interested in new characters, but they also wanted to see what had become of Han, Luke, and Leia in the intervening thirty years. With that matter settled, and each of the characters passing on in each of the Sequel movies, the part of the audience most drawn by the allure of the Original Trilogy was just less interested, regardless of developments with the new characters. I suppose the filmmakers could have tried the approach of focusing on the OT characters and giving them lots of scenes (especially action scenes) in all three Sequel movies, but it would have been patently ridiculous to sell a new STAR WARS trilogy on the premise of three senior citizens going on adventures the way they did decades ago, without developing new stories for new and younger characters.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  11. #191
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I do think it's odd that ROS won't end up in the top 5 grossing worldwide for 2019. It did have the killer Christmas slot and failed to keep up the pace.

    Can Disney keep the budget down for the next movie? Will the GA come back for a brand new cast? Is it just a case of diminishing box office receipts as each new movie gets made until they cancel the franchise altogether?
    I don't think that it is odd, Star wars was never big in China (the movie goers there don't have the history with it). 4 out of the top 5 grossing worldwide movies form 2019 got its largest international share from China (Star Wars got its largest international share form the UK of which TROS was the 2nd highest grossing movie there). TROS was the 3rd top earner in the United States with Disney having the top sport in all of the top five movies. Disney was along involved with 4 out of the top five international earners, and was involved in all five of the top earners world wide in 2019. I really don't think Disney is gonna start slashing Lucas Film's budget anytime soon their biggest competition is themselves at the moment.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  12. #192
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    One overlooked factor in the Sequel movies' diminishing box office is the decision to kill off the protagonists of the Original Trilogy. Regardless of whether it was a sound storytelling decision (not the way I would have done it, but I can dig it), the return of the Original Trilogy characters (after their absence in the Prequels) was a big part of the initial draw for the Sequels before the release of THE FORCE AWAKENS. Sure, people were interested in new characters, but they also wanted to see what had become of Han, Luke, and Leia in the intervening thirty years. With that matter settled, and each of the characters passing on in each of the Sequel movies, the part of the audience most drawn by the allure of the Original Trilogy was just less interested, regardless of developments with the new characters. I suppose the filmmakers could have tried the approach of focusing on the OT characters and giving them lots of scenes (especially action scenes) in all three Sequel movies, but it would have been patently ridiculous to sell a new STAR WARS trilogy on the premise of three senior citizens going on adventures the way they did decades ago, without developing new stories for new and younger characters.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'm an old time fan, and I loved Kylo and Rey in the first two. I liked Finn as well.

    But by the time they got to TROS, Finn became an irritating nuisance who spent most of his time shouting "REY", Rey had become an ideal instead of a person and the killed off Kylo, who was the OT's heir, and my favourite character.

    Others seem to love this film, but from a personal point of view, I no longer have any interest in future projects focusing on Rey.

  13. #193
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,168

    Default

    Box Office: ‘Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker’ Plunges 64% On Friday

    Friday, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker earned $3.92 million on its fourth Friday, bringing its 22-day domestic total up to $467 million.

    The film will end tomorrow night just above the unadjusted $474 million (counting the 2012 3-D reissue) domestic total of The Phantom Menace. If it continues its 48.6/51.4 domestic/overseas split, it’ll have a new global cume of $983.3 million. By almost any other rational standard, such figures in under a month would be an unmitigated triumph, .................

    At worst, it’ll use the Martin Luther King J. weekend to give it a push past $500 million domestic and $1 billion worldwide. It’s still probably doomed to earn less domestically than Rogue One ($532 million) and The Lion King ($543 million), and it might, emphasis on “might” end up with a smaller global cume than the likes of Aladdin ($1.053 billion), Rogue One ($1.056 billion), Joker ($1.067 billion) and Toy Story 4 ($1.073 billion).

  14. #194
    Fantastic Member basbash99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Taunton, Mass, USA
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Box Office: ‘Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker’ Plunges 64% On Friday

    Friday, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker earned $3.92 million on its fourth Friday, bringing its 22-day domestic total up to $467 million.
    alas, the key phrase in the quoted article is "rational standard".... and so it goes

  15. #195
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,139

    Default

    The movie is at $990m as at the end of the weekend.

    Where are my peeps that said this movie wont hit a billion? Or that the movie will lose money?
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-12-2020 at 12:25 PM.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •