Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Is it always a bad thing? Case in point with Star Trek, the old show did a lot Kirk and his tendency to throw out the rule book when he thought it served the greater good, but then Wrath of Khan (considered one of the series' best movies) showed the lasting consequences of one such maverick decision, not to mention deconstructing Kirk's cowboy behavior in general.
    But this was followed by a story in which Kirk goes maverick again, steals a ship, gives the middle finger to Starfleet and ignores the rules and it is presented as absolutely the right choice and leads to them saving the Earth in the next movie.

Deconstruction can be good if it fits the story and makes sense as it did in Wrath of Khan. But when it's heavy-handed or doesn't make sense or is just being done as navel gazing (deconstruction for the sake of deconstruction because everything has to be deconstruction because that's the current stock way to do it) like a CW show, then it becomes problematic.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    yes star wars will always make money, its not just making the kind of money Disney wants.

I was not wrong. I said from the 346 million opening it was barely going to make a billion but when I saw how the legs were holding in the usa, I said it will make a billion though still a big disappointment and not just because it won't pass last Jedi.
    Disney hasn't said this.

And let's be real, you can't call one BILLION dollars weak.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-27-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But this was followed by a story in which Kirk goes maverick again, steals a ship, gives the middle finger to Starfleet and ignores the rules and it is presented as absolutely the right choice and leads to them saving the Earth in the next movie.

Deconstruction can be good if it fits the story and makes sense as it did in Wrath of Khan. But when it's heavy-handed or doesn't make sense or is just being done as navel gazing (deconstruction for the sake of deconstruction because everything has to be deconstruction because that's the current stock way to do it) like a CW show, then it becomes problematic.
    Don't think TLJ fit this model; a lot of the so-called deconstruction in it was proved wrong by the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Disney hasn't said this.

Yeah, it's time to move on from this.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Disney hasn't said this.

The final movie of the Skywalker Saga doing sub-Rogue One numbers and not exceeding TLJ's total BO would definitely be construed as underperforming.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The final movie of the Skywalker Saga doing sub-Rogue One numbers and not exceeding TLJ's total BO would definitely be construed as underperforming.
    Yes, from that perspective.

But when the two of the aforementioned movies are two of the biggest of all time, one could re-contextualize the discussion.

That being said, I'm not sure why people feel that the last part of the Skywalker saga was supposed to blow everything that came before it out of the water. The original ends of the saga (ROTJ and ROTS) beat the movies that came before them but came nowhere close to the first movies in the trilogies.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-28-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Don't think TLJ fit this model; a lot of the so-called deconstruction in it was proved wrong by the end.

Yeah, it's time to move on from this.
    Exactly.

We need to move on from this discussion. A movie doing over $500m domestic and $1bn worldwide is pretty huge. Could it have made more? yes but it doesn't change the fact the movie is still hige.

Astonishing Member

I liked ROS but count me as another who think it underperformed and is a bit of a box office disappointment for Disney, maybe even worrying them about future projects. A good column by someone who covers the movie box office and calling ROS the first 500M box office disappointment https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#365090575024

Yes, from that perspective.

But when the two of the aforementioned movies are two of the biggest of all time, one could re-contextualize the discussion.

That being said, I'm not sure why people feel that the last part of the Skywalker saga was supposed to blow everything that came before it out of the water. The original ends of the saga (ESB and ROTS) beat the movies that came before them but came nowhere close to the first movies in the trilogies.
    That and with this new measuring stick of $$$ performance with the original trilogy having diminishing sells as the story progressed then it should also be considered a failure too. I mean ESB earned less than ANH and ROTJ earned less than ESB. Disney distributed 7 of the top 10 gross domestic earners and was involved in one other (Spider-Man). All and all I would say that Disney had a great year. Of the top 20 domestic highest grossing films Disney as either directly distributed or now owns the rights to 17 of them.

TROS has very favorable audience scores. Most of the complaints are that it wasn't like TLJ. Because in didn't bring the illusion of changing things up. Sorry people but Johnson actually added nothing revolutionary to Star Wars.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-28-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Person: Star Wars always makes a ton of money anything Star War is going to make bank

Solo A Star Wars story: in sitting a corner hold my beer I made 392 million worldwide on 275 budget, Just ignore me guys nothing to see here

One billion is a lot more than 392 million, Heck 500 domestic is a lot more than 392. We know what failure in Star Wars world looks like can we stop pretending that a billion is a failure.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-29-2020 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Person: Star Wars always makes a ton of money anything Star War is going to make bank

Solo A Star Wars story: in sitting a corner hold my beer I made 392 million worldwide on 275 budget, Just ignore me guys nothing to see here

One billion is a lot more than 392 million, Heck 500 domestic is a lot more than 392. We know what failure in Star Wars world looks like can we stop pretending that a billion is a failure.
    Clone Wars and both Ewoks did worse than Solo, FWIW.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    To be fair, though critically panned the Ewoks movies actually did pretty well; they were highly viewed when they aired and both earned Emmies.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    To be fair, though critically panned the Ewoks movies actually did pretty well; they were highly viewed when they aired and both earned Emmies.
    Yeah and the debate here is money equals success, right?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

the Ewoks were made for TV movies in the early 80s, Money wise not sure how to compare them to theatrical releases.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah and the debate here is money equals success, right?
    They were tv specials, and ratings were good so I'm sure the channel made good ad revenue which probably means they made good money. It's hard to say how much as such things are not as openly reported as ticket sales but to say they weren't successful seems dubious at best.

Amazing Member

The Ewok films were made for TV, and only had an extremely limited theatrical run in a few markets. The Clone Wars only had a budget of about $8.5 million, which means it not only didn't lose money but actually made a profit from its box office run.