Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Forbes to today said TROS crossed 500 million Worldwide. So halfway towards a billion even before this weekend .
    If TROS proves to be front-loaded then it's best days are already behind it. Going to a slow crawl towards 1 billion from here on out, especially with the international markets for Star Wars being down so much from TLJ.

Ultimate Member

I’m curious as to what TROS will do this weekend. Maybe because of the release date, it’s holding better than I thought it would.

The absolute lack of competition seems to be one thing acting in its favor. With the way it’s performing, it should hit a billion within the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    If TROS proves to be front-loaded then it's best days are already behind it. Going to a slow crawl towards 1 billion from here on out, especially with the international markets for Star Wars being down so much from TLJ.
    Lol that how it works for most Blockbuster movies, The numbers don't jump up the next week the go down. Now what you are trying to say is that the numbers for Star Wars TROS will fall off so much that it will struggle to make to billion. Now I don't know why this the hill you die on but hey to each their own I guess. Now the thing you should be paying attention is articles they went from

Star Wars had lowest opening the Trilogy
    The Rise of Skywalker’s huge opening weekend was still a big miss by Star Wars standards
    Box Office: ‘Rise Of Skywalker’ Bombs In China

To

'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' made $500 million in its first week
    Box Office: 'Rise of Skywalker' Unwraps Huge $32M Christmas, Crosses $500M Globally
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker passes $500 million mark

It is kinda weird that everyone back off the "this movie is in trouble narrative", The words "flop" and "bomb" seem to have vanished from the reporting. And weirdly the cosmicnews sites of the world who were happy don't have a story up now

Now a quote from boxofficepro
    Bottom line: Despite opening 19 percent lower than Last Jedi last weekend, Rise of Skywalker will be making up a lot of ground in the days ahead and looks to potentially match the former’s 10-day total of $368.2 million by the end of the coming weekend — if not exceed it..
    The big point is this they are projecting 85-100 million dollar domestic weekend. The general audience and some Star Wars fans is enjoying it more than people are guessing I don't think the numbers are going to drop off cliff like your predicting
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-26-2019 at 11:05 PM.

BANNED

Lol that how it works for most Blockbuster movies, The numbers don't jump up the next week the go down. Now what you are trying to say is that the numbers for Star Wars TROS will fall off so much that it will struggle to make to billion. Now I don't know why this the hill you die on but hey to each their own I guess. Now the thing you should be paying attention is articles they went from
    I don't know if you've been paying attention at all in the lead up to release but you must concede now that Disney has well and truly lost control of the narrative. TROS was supposed to do better then TLJ, propelled by some nonsense about the third Star Wars film in a trilogy always doing better then the second. Of course, this fanciful scenario never materialised and TROS is now trailing behind the TLJ and will never surpass it. In fact, TROS will be lucky to make Rogue One numbers, if that. Hence why it's unlikely that TROS will even make a billion at the box office, it's a front loaded film with the best days behind it and no amount of handwringing now can change that.

Star Wars had lowest opening the Trilogy
    The Rise of Skywalker’s huge opening weekend was still a big miss by Star Wars standards
    Box Office: ‘Rise Of Skywalker’ Bombs In China

To

'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' made $500 million in its first week
    Box Office: 'Rise of Skywalker' Unwraps Huge $32M Christmas, Crosses $500M Globally
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker passes $500 million mark

It is kinda weird that everyone back off the "this movie is in trouble narrative", The words "flop" and "bomb" seem to have vanished from the reporting. And weirdly the cosmicnews sites of the world who were happy don't have a story up now

Now a quote from boxofficepro

The big point is this they are projecting 85-100 million dollar domestic weekend. The general audience and some Star Wars fans is enjoying it more than people are guessing I don't think the numbers are going to drop off cliff like your predicting
    The media is now spinning it, probably on Disney's request. Also explains why the RT audience score has stayed at 86% after even adding more user reviews in the thousands.

Disney has indeed lost control of the narrative, the box office is more of a secondary injury, the primary injury is that this is one of the worst star wars films out there, what the box office is doing is reflecting the primary injury.

The Mouse is on the verge of artistic collapse, this will become more obvious when ROS finishes its run at 1.0-1.1 billion. it will be a big disappointment.

I don't know if you've been paying attention at all in the lead up to release but you must concede now that Disney has well and truly lost control of the narrative. TROS was supposed to do better then TLJ, propelled by some nonsense about the third Star Wars film in a trilogy always doing better then the second. Of course, this fanciful scenario never materialised and TROS is now trailing behind the TLJ and will never surpass it. In fact, TROS will be lucky to make Rogue One numbers, if that. Hence why it's unlikely that TROS will even make a billion at the box office, it's a front loaded film with the best days behind it and no a. mount of handwringing now can change that.
    Even if it makes a billion, I am not sure it will make more money than Joker or yikes, Captain Marvel

I can rest easy knowing this is not even real star wars.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-27-2019 at 03:48 AM.

BANNED

SmartSelect_20191227-063137_Edge.jpg

Just throwing this out there to calm down some of the apocalyptic claims

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Even if it makes a billion, I am not sure it will make more money than Joker or yikes, Captain Marvel
    It will unquestionably not make as much of a profit as Joker. The budget for TROS is just way too big for that to occur.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The media is now spinning it, probably on Disney's request. Also explains why the RT audience score has stayed at 86% after even adding more user reviews in the thousands.

Disney has indeed lost control of the narrative, the box office is more of a secondary injury, the primary injury is that this is one of the worst star wars films out there, what the box office is doing is reflecting the primary injury.
    Disney has the power to control media AND they let bad stuff come out? That made sense when you type it

The only reason I am wasting my talking to you guys because I get to see this

Star Wars will drop hard in the coming weeks, the word of mouth and I mean the actual word of mouth that is mixed to negative is going to be damaging for the box office in the coming weeks.
    turn into this

this will become more obvious when ROS finishes its run at 1.0-1.1 billion. it will be a big disappointment.
    And this
    TROS will make less money at the Box Office, making it the weakest of Disney's trilogy. Even getting over the line to 1 billion remains unlikely at this point, a true failure on Disney's part.
    Turn into this

And in the next couple weeks, I am pretty sure two people are going to stop posting for awhile because they wont want to have a conversation about this topic.

Anyways last number I have seen is 516 million.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-27-2019 at 06:22 AM.

BANNED

And in the next couple weeks, I am pretty sure two people are going to stop posting for awhile because they wont want to have a conversation about this topic.

Don't be so hard on yourself. We'll welcome back into the discussion when TROS continues to underpreform.

On a related note, the early chatter online is pointing to a sharp drop in TROS second weekend. Regardless of the more stable Christmas numbers.

Don't worry, these folks can move goalposts as adeptly as Jedi... anything in service to their need to convince others that a movie they hate is one that everybody else is required to hate, too. And of course, since its impossible to disprove any statement along the lines of "the movie would've made more money if they had done it the way i say they should've", the argument will [theoretically] never end.

I will say, at least these arguments, whether bad faith or not, do come from a place of passion. People don't bother to go on and on about movie franchises they are indifferent to, but ones that they were fans of, at least at some point. Probably the closest i've come to "the dark side" is the DC movies, where i disliked Snyder's films a lot because i like DC characters and felt they deserved better. But that's off topic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Don't worry, these folks can move goalposts as adeptly as Jedi... anything in service to their need to convince others that a movie they hate is one that everybody else is required to hate, too.
    Their goal is not to be right or even convincing. It's enough to have attention paid to them.

Mighty Member

The problem is, Star Wars was originally about hope.
    This film has the most downbeat ending of all of them....even more than Rogue One.

Who wants to see something like that at Christmas?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    The problem is, Star Wars was originally about hope.
    This film has the most downbeat ending of all of them....even more than Rogue One.

Who wants to see something like that at Christmas?
    "Hope is like the sun. If you only believe in it when you can see it, you'll never make it through the night." - Leia Organa

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Disney has the power to control media AND they let bad stuff come out? That made sense when you type it

The only reason I am wasting my talking to you guys because I get to see this

turn into this

And this

Turn into this

And this keeps going in circles so let me straighten the curves by using Disney's own history. do you remember Age of Ultron 2015? it made about 1.4 billion. that was a lot, but Disney saw it as a failure, a box office let down. this is what Disney is facing with star wars but the disappointment is going to be a lot bigger. age of Ultron dropped about 100 million or less from the original movie. star wars is dropping off in the billions.

And please don't try and tell me Disney did not see Age of Ultron as a box office disappointment because I have the receipts that they did.

You have a number, a number that is showing it lagging behind the past 2 films. that is not what Disney wants or expect. they brought in JJ Abrams to avoid this type of box office from happening. they even went as far as to make ROS an apology tour thinking it will keep the old mover goers that hated last Jedi and also keep the current movie goers who will still watch anything star wars, that is not happening. Like someone else said, this numbers for a star wars movie are terrible. for movies like Joker or Alladin, they are good.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-27-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    "Hope is like the sun. If you only believe in it when you can see it, you'll never make it through the night." - Leia Organa

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Empire Strikes Back was hardly hopeful, so was Revenge of the Sith, It does not matter if it is light or dark or depressing or hopeful, each of this elements can be good if it has a good story and good writing. ROS posses none of this attributes. Some people would just not go twice to see a poorly done movie, regardless of the tone or lesson.

You know its so funny, when I went to the screening of ROS, After the film ended and the credit started rolling. people were just walking out in silence, I could tell they were disappointed and would not be coming back to rewatch. if people don't come back, box office would not get bigger.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 12-27-2019 at 03:19 PM.