Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Clone Wars and both Ewoks did worse than Solo, FWIW.
    Clone Wars made money. It performed better than it had any right to considering it was a TV pilot. It lead a successful TV series which imo, redeemed the prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    The Ewok films were made for TV, and only had an extremely limited theatrical run in a few markets. The Clone Wars only had a budget of about $8.5 million, which means it not only didn't lose money but actually made a profit from its box office run.
    Making $92,895,937 means that it made an almost 8 times return on investment, where as Rogue One made a 5 times return on investment. And The Last Jedi had a 4 times return on investment with The Rise of Skywalker making 5 times return on investment. If you go by the numbers financial success has different ways to calculate. Any way I billion $$$ is a lot of money.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    To be fair, though critically panned the Ewoks movies actually did pretty well; they were highly viewed when they aired and both earned Emmies.
    It's interesting that the Mandalorian also brought back the reptile mounts from that movie; also it's a fairly early of a Witch being in Star Wars, something Clone Wars ran with (although their version of the Nightsisters is a bit "Sith lite" based on TPM Maul sketches rather than the more stereotypical witches like that character and the early EU). Also was surprisingly dark compared to the first one, with Cindel's whole family getting killed.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So TROS is about 8 million shy of topping Rogue One. What do you think, will it beat it? seems to be taking in about $600,000 per day at this point. Still 4 shows per day at my local theater but i wonder how much longer it will stick around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    So TROS is about 8 million shy of topping Rogue One. What do you think, will it beat it? seems to be taking in about $600,000 per day at this point. Still 4 shows per day at my local theater but i wonder how much longer it will stick around.
    Still 4 showings in a theaters, that's amazing. I saw it yesterday for the 13th time. There were 5 of us and two left (they were kids). My local multi plex has 24 screens so I expect for it to at least hang around until March. I intend on seeing it until it's pulled. I noticed on my last two re-watches, the audience was super quiet and you could feel the intensity. I think most of the people catching it now are repeat viewers. The big question is if it will pull even with TLJ. But I don't see it being pulled entirely before March.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    It will probaly get past Rogue One on the Worldwide Box office but not domestically.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Making $92,895,937 means that it made an almost 8 times return on investment, where as Rogue One made a 5 times return on investment. And The Last Jedi had a 4 times return on investment with The Rise of Skywalker making 5 times return on investment. If you go by the numbers financial success has different ways to calculate. Any way I billion $$$ is a lot of money.
    Based on the current number ROS will also end up with a Boxoffice of slightly less then 4 times it's production budget (if the reported 275 Million budget is correct).

Mighty Member

It's no longer showing at any of the cinema's in my area.
    The previous films were still going strong well into February.
    I didn't like the film, but this makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Still 4 showings in a theaters, that's amazing. I saw it yesterday for the 13th time. There were 5 of us and two left (they were kids). My local multi plex has 24 screens so I expect for it to at least hang around until March. I intend on seeing it until it's pulled. I noticed on my last two re-watches, the audience was super quiet and you could feel the intensity. I think most of the people catching it now are repeat viewers. The big question is if it will pull even with TLJ. But I don't see it being pulled entirely before March.
    It would have to make about $284 million more to catch up to TLJ, which seems impossible.

I think the 1st two films in the trilogy got a huge boost from the near irresistable lure of finding out whatever became of the OT characters after ROTJ, and that TROS suffered to a degree in that we already knew the fate of Han and Luke and (due to Carrie's untimely death, RIP) Leia when that movie came out, so it wasn't as enticing as the previous two. I suspect a billion or so is probably the ceiling for most star wars films going forward. its still one of the biggest franchises around but not THE biggest. IOW the 1st two movies in the trilogy feel more and more like anomalies to me, with respect to box office.

Still think splitting TROS into two movies would have made a lot more sense. Probably could've made about a billion on each part and would've improved pacing, suspense, and probably character development as well. There are a lot of developments in TROS that would've made good cliffhanger moments for the finale of part 1.

TROS box office reportedly up to 1.058 billion, so it has surpassed Rogue One

Will it get to 1.1 billion? I still doubt it,the international markets is very week at just 500-600m when fast and furious is making 1 billion alone in international market and F9 will likely do that again. this is an astronomical moment for a star wars film. this is not real star wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Will it get to 1.1 billion? I still doubt it,the international markets is very week at just 500-600m when fast and furious is making 1 billion alone in international market and F9 will likely do that again. this is an astronomical moment for a star wars film. this is not real star wars.
    I doubt TROS will reach 1.1 since it seems to be making about 1/2 million a day so it would take several more months even at that rate.

F&F 7 made more than TLJ and F&F 8 wasn’t crazy far behind TLJ either. I definitely think F & F 9 could top TROS unless people are tiring of that franchise which doesn’t seem to be happening, certainly F & F is a more popular brand in places like China than Star Wars is.

My current position is that TFA and TLJ performed as well as they did mainly due to audiences wanting to see what became of the Luke, Han, and Leia from the OT. I expect most Star Wars films earn about a billion or less from here on out

Star Wars is not popular in the Asian market (unlike Dom and his VCR heisting turned super spy crew... its all about family). Both TFA and TLJ were both beat out by Fast and Furious movies in the year that they were out in the international market mainly do to their huge popularity in China. Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice beat out Rogue One in the international market, heck it was beat out by Finding Dory and Zootopia with with the majority coming form China. The Chinese market pushes the largest majority Internationaly and they do not have the cinematic history that the US and Europe does with Star Wars so it is no surprise that it is not that much of an international success.

In 2015 Furious 7 was the number on movie outside the United States. Same with Fate of the Furious in 2017. They are part of a franchise that the Chinese have a history watching and they love Dom and his family and could really care less about Luke Skywalker and his. So it's not really a great comparison.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I personally am starting to feel franchise fatigue. I loved star wars growing up, but I went to this movie begrudgingly. I have a weird grim resolve to see the series through...but I may drop out after this movie. I just never got absorbed into the universe like I did the past movies. I still haven't decided if it's the movies that have changed, or if it's me that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtlinghurdle View Post
    I personally am starting to feel franchise fatigue. I loved star wars growing up, but I went to this movie begrudgingly. I have a weird grim resolve to see the series through...but I may drop out after this movie. I just never got absorbed into the universe like I did the past movies. I still haven't decided if it's the movies that have changed, or if it's me that has changed.
    Its you that has changed. I say this because I get where you are coming from. You are no longer growing up, you have grown up. your mind set has developed with age, so when you now have new star wars movies that has been watered so down to fit the narrative that the movies are only about selling toys and not caring about the story direction or characters, you feel like yourself as you are now. no longer absorbing interest.