Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    TFA was a box office juggernaut that over-performed and TLJ was the most profitable movie of 2017. That's the reality that we're dealing with.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is all that matters, and we won't know that until the end of its theatrical run.

The fans, not Disney, are the ones alienating each other, and they've been doing that long before Disney got involved.

Worse case scenario, Disney has two failures on their hands (Solo and Rise of Skywalker. Out of five movies, that's a 20% failure rate (or a 40% success rate), and that's not even factoring in their success in other projects, like Disney+.

Sorry, as much as you may hate their projects, Disney has managed Star Wars incredibly well. Maybe it's okay to not like everything in a series and just leave it at that without trying to prove that the series in question is bad because we didn't like such and such about it.
    I largely agree with this. It's the same argument I had regarding TLJ because that movie alone made a profit of over $400 million for Disney. Meaning that even if that movie didn't hit a billion, it would have still made a profit (so i'm not sure where the "a movie needs to make a billion to make a profit" suggestion is coming from).

TROS should have done better (just clearing a billion is quite disappointing) no doubt about it but a franchise where every single movie in it bar one has crossed over a billion is does indicate that for all their faults, Disney is still doing something quite right.

Give time to think about this it is weird that people want to approach this topic this way. But fine here are some bondfide flops for Disney

Tron Legacy 400 million
    Solo 392.9 million
    Dumbo 353.3 million
    Prince of Persia 336 million
    John Carter 284.1 million
    Lone Ranger 176 million
    Mars needs moms 39 million

Here are some disappointments for Disney

-The Lion King $1,656,713,458 2019
    - The Last Jedi $1,332,539,889 2017
    -Toy Story 4 $1,073,394,593 2019
    -Aladdin $1,050,693,953 2019

I don't know how to say it any clear this there is difference between "yes you were supposed to make more money but you still made a lot of money" and " You performed so badly that we can't justify giving you sequel even though it is clear we want to make sequels". The Rise of the Skywalker is underperforming but it is not level of where it is an disaster. Disney has another scale if you notice I put 7 highest grossing movie of all time in the list of disappointments for Disney because if they had produced A Lion King movie that had capture the right feel, It would have been easily past 2 billion. But Disney has to "settle" for 1.6 billion instead.

I keep seeing the argument Star Wars is suppose to be doing better and doing more. Yes that is true but all with films you want to be profitable and TROS is going to be profitable. The best example of why this important is The DCEU Batman V Superman made 860 million, Justice League made 657.9 million. Now the DCEU went on recover with Aquaman and Shazam but they didn't push out another Justice League, Superman and Batman movies and those movies are potential 2 billion dollar plus movies if done right. What ever Rise of Skywalker ends up at is going to be a profitable movie for Disney and there is no real deterrent from making another Star Wars movie . If you make 4 movies that make a billion dollars and ONE that makes 392 which one is the anomaly? So if you want to talk Star Wars from that perspective fine but I guarantee Disney knows the difference between list A and list B. I don't know why people are trying to sell TROS like it Tron Legacy or something.

Something can underperform but still do good thing for a studio.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-30-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Give time to think about this it is weird that people want to approach this topic this way. But fine here are some bondfide flops for Disney

Tron Legacy 400 million
    Solo 392.9 million
    Dumbo 353.3 million
    Lone Ranger 176 million

I don't know how to say it any clear this there is difference between "yes you were supposed to make more money but you still made a lot of money" and " You performed so badly that we can't justify giving you sequel even though it is clear we want to make sequels". The Rise of the Skywalker is underperforming but it is not level of where it is an disaster. Disney has another scale if you notice I put 7 highest grossing movie of all time in the list of disappointments for Disney because if they had produced A Lion King movie that had capture the right feel, It would have been easily past 2 billion. But Disney has to "settle" for 1.6 billion instead.

I keep seeing the argument Star Wars is suppose to be doing better and doing more. Yes that is true but all with films you want to be profitable and TROS is going to be profitable. The best example of why this important is The DCEU Batman V Superman made 860 million, Justice League made 657.9 million. Now the DCEU went on recover with Aquaman and Shazam but they didn't push out another Justice League, Superman and Batman movies and those movies are potential 2 billion dollar plus movies if done right. What ever Rise of Skywalker ends up at is going to be a profitable movie for Disney and there is no real deterrent from making another Star Wars movie . If you make 4 movies that make a billion dollars and ONE that makes 392 which one is the anomaly? So if you want to talk Star Wars from that perspective fine but I guarantee Disney knows the difference between list A and list B. I don't know why people are trying to sell TROS like it Tron Legacy or something.

Quoted for truth.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Tron Legacy 400 million
    Solo 392.9 million
    Dumbo 353.3 million
    Lone Ranger 176 million

The horse beating point will be "it was NOT as profitable because the leads were 2 POC and a Mary Sue female". That is what some of this boils down to. Script and all that other stuff does not matter to those youtubers-it all about the 3 leads-existing.

5 of those Disney flops had white male leads.
    3 of the "disappointments" did not.

Solo was a movie no one asked for and it was a victim of entitlement troll backlash to TLS.

so i'm not sure where the "a movie needs to make a billion to make a profit" suggestion is coming from
    Agenda driven trolls. Who seek anything and everything to use a weapon against folks that they don't like.

This movie does not have to make a billion. If it does Disney will say-"we had Black Panther, Cap Marvel, TLJ & ROS deal with trolls and all made a billion. You trolls really don't matter."

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The horse beating point will be "it was NOT as profitable because the leads were 2 POC and a Mary Sue female". That is what some of this boils down to. Script and all that other stuff does not matter to those youtubers-it all about the 3 leads-existing.

5 of those Disney flops had white male leads.
    3 of the "disappointments" did not.

Solo was a movie no one asked for and it was a victim of entitlement troll backlash to TLS.

Agenda driven trolls. Who seek anything and everything to use a weapon against folks that they don't like.

This movie does not have to make a billion. If it does Disney will say-"we had Black Panther, Cap Marvel, TLJ & ROS deal with trolls and all made a billion. You trolls really don't matter."
    Well said and what you just stated is best summarized in the video below. Watch the whole of it but the major points start around 6:00.

P.S. I like Solo but it did underperform sadly.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Sunday 29 21 million
    Monday 30 15 million

72.39M this weekend. 10-Day total stands at $362.19M

725 million Global

Usually the first 2-3 weeks of these blockbusters is where they make the bulk of their money. the movie may end up at 1.1 billion tops. still a sharp decline from the last 2 movies that Disney would heavily consider going forward.

If it was not star wars with a 376m opening it would not have reached a billion but star wars tends to hold strong in the USA.

Also the latest controversy with Rose Tico/Kelly Marie Tran is not helping either.

It is fitting though, the worst star wars movie making the least money enough to be called a Box Office disappointment by Disney.

Mighty Member

I can't help but wonder if they're regretting delaying the release of the art books and other tie ins now - if they'd released them at the same time as the to!m they would have sold well, especially as Xmas presents.
    I wonder if they'll sell now?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Usually the first 2-3 weeks of these blockbusters is where they make the bulk of their money. the movie may end up at 1.1 billion tops. still a sharp decline from the last 2 movies that Disney would heavily consider going forward.

If it was not star wars with a 376m opening it would not have reached a billion but star wars tends to hold strong in the USA.

Also the latest controversy with Rose Tico/Kelly Marie Tran is not helping either.

It is fitting though, the worst star wars movie making the least money enough to be called a Box Office disappointment by Disney.
    I'm pretty sure that "honor" belongs to Solo. And i'm not sure rose being sidelined really matters to most folks who weren't already invested in ROTS' failure. She fulfilled her role of being Finn's Jiminy Cricket in TLJ - with Finn's crisis of conscience resolved at that movies' finale , i'm not sure what role she was supposed to fill in ROTS. I find it plausible that she was meant to have more scenes with Leia that ended up being cut.

I do think they could've included her in the part where Finn & the cavalry ride out to take down the main destroyer's control tower - her engineering skills could've come into play and we already know from TLJ that she has an affinity for horse-like critters.

Saw online that TROS is still at the top of the box office second week in a row. So much for it being a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that "honor" belongs to Solo. And i'm not sure rose being sidelined really matters to most folks who weren't already invested in ROTS' failure. She fulfilled her role of being Finn's Jiminy Cricket in TLJ - with Finn's crisis of conscience resolved at that movies' finale , i'm not sure what role she was supposed to fill in ROTS. I find it plausible that she was meant to have more scenes with Leia that ended up being cut.
    Who knows?

I do think they could've included her in the part where Finn & the cavalry ride out to take down the main destroyer's control tower - her engineering skills could've come into play and we already know from TLJ that she has an affinity for horse-like critters.
    Or have her be the one to figure out how to get the translation from Threepio (she is a techie) and/or patch up the boat Finn uses when Rey goes to the Death Star wreckage.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Solo was a spin off, I think Rise of skywalker is going to hurt more than solo both on money and reputation for Disney.

Final

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    $15.3M Monday (Final)
    $377.48M Total (North America)

Weekend Forecast

Film Distributor 3-Day Weekend Forecast Projected Domestic Total through Sunday, January 5 % Change from Last Wknd
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Disney / Lucasfilm $36,600,000 454,600,000 49%
    And Finally

The Star War Franchise has cross 10 billion overall.

Disney has be really disappointed in that 5 Billion dollars that these sequel trilogy and anthology films(Solo, Rogue One) made for them. It must really hurt them. The Star War franchise is over and doomed because they made only 5 Billion dollars.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

I Say to Watch the entire Video of this Below, It Give you a good view on the ground of how Skywalker is really doing after Weekend 2 and how it is doing better the Last Jedi at this Point in its run. Also Gives good history on other movies as well.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Saw online that TROS is still at the top of the box office second week in a row. So much for it being a disappointment.

Who knows?

Or have her be the one to figure out how to get the translation from Threepio (she is a techie) and/or patch up the boat Finn uses when Rey goes to the Death Star wreckage.
    I think that Driver, Gleeson and Tran were all cheated in this film. Hux was practically shunted aside for Pride. Kylo had about thirty minutes of screen time compared to Poe Dameron, who was practically in almost every scene. - the last true Skywalker has his role reduced in favour of a character who was supposed to die in the first film.
    But Tran's treatment was a disgrace. I genuinely liked both actress and character. Her one minute appearance was an insult. The idiots who whined that a fictional ship like Reylo was abusive got their own way, and so it seems did racist bigots.
    Not a good message to send, especially in a blockbuster Christmas film.

Extraordinary Member

"Dissapointment" is such a spin term when it comes to box offices. Either it made money to be profitable or it didn't. When it's all said and done, this film likely could have half it's final tally and still have made the studio a good ROI