Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Not finished yet but I do think overall the quality and acting has been a bit better than season one.

The problem I have is I think things start to fall apart a little when they veer off from what has been written. Shockingly (not), this is where GoT was weakest as well.

The material with Geralt and Ciri is *chef's kiss*

When it starts getting into the mages and Yennefer, etc. I personally begin to get bored and I can see how the writers were just filling stuff in. And then I think "this is why you should have just stuck with the material provided."

I think Lauren and co. are having to unpack too much on their own by trying to make the show about Geralt, Ciri, and Yennefer equal across the board. It's almost too much screen time for all three and just dilutes things, in my own opinion.
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 12-20-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    A lot of Witcher stories are twisted versions of Fairy tales. First episode was Snow White, Last Wish was Alladin, The Law of Surprise is basically a more mild version of Rumplestillskin....
    That was actually an adaptation of "Hans my Hedgehog".
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Just finished season 2, so good. I liked the twist of the 2 timelines of season 1, while the reveal of season 2 came at no surprise to anyone familiar with the books or game.

Anybody else a bit bored by the political going ons. All the factions are bad guys to some extent. The show picks up for me only when Geralt and Ciri are on.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I'm 5 episodes in and it seems like Geralt hasn't had much screen time. The little blonde chick is going through the same obstacle course over and over. And this ginger with the horrible singing...Maybe I'll watch season one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Anybody else a bit bored by the political going ons. All the factions are bad guys to some extent. The show picks up for me only when Geralt and Ciri are on.
    I'm with you. I don't feel for any of the factions, and the Geralt/Ciri duo is done well.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I'm with you. I don't feel for any of the factions, and the Geralt/Ciri duo is done well.
    I feel like this has naturally come from the books. All of the other subplots outside of Geralt/Ciri don't really matter unless they directly involve that duo, and will kinda vanish when it no longer does directly involve them, to the extent of even not getting resolved at all. That's why the games had such an easy time taking place after the books because all of that stuff was still there to continue with.

Maybe that's why they decided to add a Sauron-esque mega villain to the mix, to provide an overarching villain for all the subplots that the show will actually resolve whenever it concludes.

They haven’t really given us any other characters to sympathize with within these other factions. Everyone else besides the Witchers and some of the mages are jerks. And even within those factions there are unlikebles. But I think that might be part of them trying to set up and emphasize it’s Geralt/Ciri/Yen vs the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They haven’t really given us any other characters to sympathize with within these other factions. Everyone else besides the Witchers and some of the mages are jerks. And even within those factions there are unlikebles. But I think that might be part of them trying to set up and emphasize it’s Geralt/Ciri/Yen vs the world.
    And Uncle Jaskier, of course. And maybe that troupe of Dwarves. Those guys are always up for a good fight.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It does seem that way so I wonder how far things will stray from the books.

spoilers:
    For example, the worst thing Cahir had really done up to this point in the books was look menacingly in his armor that Ciri had nightmares. He was also only around nineteen at the time Cintra fell and ended up in prison afterward partly because he had some choice words about the emperor if I remember correctly.

The show's version has been shown to be far more rougher and ruthless up to this point.
    end of spoilers

enjoyed season 1 but feel season 2 was an overall improvement over it

Just finished season 2.

It's not up there with the JR's & George R's if this world, but...

it's worthy of the watch.

Really enjoyed season 2 the story was more engaging this time around so much so I’m going to watch season 1 again (probably need to read the books). They really need to set up a big bad or some kinda rivalry for Geralt, next season needs a big fight maybe two, one on one type swords and powers fight. Netflix got the money so spend it ik Cavil is down and able for it…

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Really enjoyed season 2 the story was more engaging this time around so much so I’m going to watch season 1 again (probably need to read the books). They really need to set up a big bad or some kinda rivalry for Geralt, next season needs a big fight maybe two, one on one type swords and powers fight. Netflix got the money so spend it ik Cavil is down and able for it…
    I mean, you saw the end right? The Big Bad is already set up.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I mean, you saw the end right? The Big Bad is already set up.
    About that, so I only read the first 2 books + the last 2 games. Did the latter books also set up Emyr as the main villain of the series? In what I've seen so far, he seems like a morally neutral player, while here he seems like the Palpatine of the show.