Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Post-Credits Scenes Before the MCU

Younger people today could be forgiven for thinking Marvel Studios invented the post-credits scene. They certainly popularized it well more than it ever had been before. I was trying to think of some early examples.

The most famous of all is undoubtedly Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I also remember one from the direct-to-video Aladdin sequel The Return of Jafar. But that's about it.

Fast and Furious was the first one I remember seeing. and the post credits scene from Angel Heart is bone chilling and really effective.

Post credit scenes are usually sequel teases which is why I despise them.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I remember one from the British "Spitting Image" TV show, from a special that was aired in the States. More of a post-script gag than a post-credits scene, as they do an epilogue script, Star Wars crawl style. The escaping villains crash into the scrawl. As a bonus, the first scale craft was one of the noses from Mount Rushmore, and I'm not sure if the survive scratching into the closing scrawl.
    Dark does not mean deep.

There was a post credit scene on Street Fighter, with Bison’s arm coming out from the rubble.

Astonishing Member

My favorite might be Freddy Krueger's glove rising from the ground to grab Jason's mask in Jason Goes to Hell but I don't remember if it was after the credits or right as the movie ended.

The payoff vs movie was satisfactory for me.

"A Knight's Tale" had one where the main characters were having a farting contest.

Moonraker, masters of the universe and great outdoors all had post scenes.

Did "Flash Gordon" have one with someone (presumably Ming) picking up his ring?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Did "Flash Gordon" have one with someone (presumably Ming) picking up his ring?
    LOL! I see what you did there...

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Adventures in Babysitting has one that I didn't see till the early 2000s by accident.
    It checks in on the muscle guy who followed Sara out the window, if you've not seen it.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding, its a bit of a fast forward as we see the happy couple with their daughter.

Napoleon Dynamite, Kip gets married.

Night at the Museum, the old guards do a dance jig.

Based on the title outtakes and gag reels while the credits roll do not count. There are a few of those we could think up I bet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Moonraker, masters of the universe and great outdoors all had post scenes.
    Moonraker? Do you mean another movie? Pretty sure that Bond movies have never had any (Plenty of pre-credits of course!) unless you count sometimes the ending footage continuing onto the credits (which happens with a lot of older movies with shorter credits) or the JAMES BOND WILL RETURN card.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Apart from that....

Not so much a scene but you can hear creepy childlike laughter at the end of Poltergeist, similar to earlier in the film when the closet portal opens and the scene where the toys are twirling around.

In the same vein, I think all the SW prequels end with Vader's breathing.

While it's a bit rare in MCU-I think mainly First Avenger did it for Avengers and No Way Home did it for Doctor Strange 2-some trilogy films where they shot back-to-back with the third entry would include a trailer for that-Back to the Future II and Matrix Reloaded had previews for BTTF III and Revolutions.

Some of Abraham/Zucker's comedies.

Practically every muppet movie.

Not really post-credit as much but a lot of Jackie Chan films generally run blooper reels-including some nasty injuries for Jackie-over the credits.

Gremlins II, in keeping with the rest of the film's satirical tone.

Post scene in tv airings had jaws and his girl land on earth safe in the water. Later versions had it pre the credits also on tv. Not sure if it is on the dvd at all or moved.

Yeah I'm not recalling that. Close to the end of the film, one of the guys in the control room says Jaws and Dolly landed safely and were recovered, but that's in the same scene right before the ending where Bond and Dr. Goodhead are caught on camera with M and Fred Grey's shocked reactions and Q's great one liner. Then there's the credits with a bit of Shirley Bassey's disco version of the song and some shots of the shuttle orbiting the Earth but that's it.

Incredible Member

Harry Potter and the Chamber of the Secrets had Lockhart's new book written after erasing his own memory by accident. It's the only post credit scene on Harry Potter movies.

Also Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl had a scene with the monkey taking a coin from the haunted treasure. Dead Man's Chest shows a dog being revered as the new god of a tribe after Jack escaped.