Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

I have never read the books nor played the games, so I can't answer that.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I just finished Witcher s2 and enjoyed it a lot.
    My only head scratcher was the reveal of The White Flame. I've googled and found an answer from S1 but with so long between seasons I surely didn't connect the two.

Ciri became much more interesting this season.
    The bard managed to come back and be still avoid being overt comedy relief that is distracting.
    Are we to believe some back door channel will be revealed to allow Yennifer to get her womb back?
    Am I the only one who got a Beauty/Beast vibe from the first episode with warthog dude in the castle? Also a splash of the Castlevania anime.

Season 3 drops when?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Am I the only one who got a Beauty/Beast vibe from the first episode with warthog dude in the castle?
    The short story that inspired the episode is indeed a hard riff on Beauty and the Beast. A lot of the short stories take from those same old folk takes.

Another example from the TV show is the very first episode. Renfri, the girl Geralt wants to save but ultimately has to kill is basically Snow White. It's not quite as clear in the show as the short, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    About that, so I only read the first 2 books + the last 2 games. Did the latter books also set up Emyr as the main villain of the series? In what I've seen so far, he seems like a morally neutral player, while here he seems like the Palpatine of the show.
    Season 3 will probably focus on the White Flame but he is not the big bad. The White Flame is not really a villain so much as a product of his chaotic upbringing and banishment. He has had to be ruthless to survive and gain the throne.

We will also have to see how much of why he wants to reunite with Ciri comes from the books vs the games as his reasons in the games are a bit less problematic than the books.

In terms of the real big bad and someone to provide competition for Geralt it should come in the form of the Wild Hunt who Yennefer runs into as well as a certain mage I won't name so as not to spoil it.
    Last edited by remydat; 01-24-2022 at 04:22 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I just finished Witcher s2 and enjoyed it a lot.
    My only head scratcher was the reveal of The White Flame. I've googled and found an answer from S1 but with so long between seasons I surely didn't connect the two.

Ciri became much more interesting this season.
    The bard managed to come back and be still avoid being overt comedy relief that is distracting.
    Are we to believe some back door channel will be revealed to allow Yennifer to get her womb back?
    Am I the only one who got a Beauty/Beast vibe from the first episode with warthog dude in the castle? Also a splash of the Castlevania anime.

Season 3 drops when?
    I suppose one could call this a spoiler but I think it flows from the narrative. The point of season 2 as it relates to Yennefer's character arc is her coming to the realization that she doesnt need her womb back to be a mother. Just as Geralt doesnt need to be fertile to be a father. Ciri is the child they end up chosing against their intial wishes. They both will fill the holes in their lives that being a Witcher and Mage cost them by accepting Ciri as their daugther.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Triss I think kind of counts in a way as Ciri's "big sister" I think in a sense, although that wasn't really a wish for either character.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Triss I think kind of counts in a way as Ciri's "big sister" I think in a sense, although that wasn't really a wish for either character.
    That was pretty much her role in the games.

I started watching season 1. I thought it was good but mildly confusing. Cavill's Batman voice takes some getting used to.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I started watching season 1. I thought it was good but mildly confusing. Cavill's Batman voice takes some getting used to.
    It is confusing. Stick with it, it takes a while to understand the world, but it is a good show.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I am now less excited for season three than I was for season two.

As a book reader and game player, I won't debate about the changes they are making. If you like them, that's cool.
    What I will say, however, is that I'm not a fan of these changes and I'm really starting to wonder if Lauren and her team's egos and want of trying to create something "more" and "deeper" than what the original content provides will be their downfall.

They really should considering reining things back in for season three. I think Cavill may have alluded to this as well in one of his interviews leading up to the release.

Think in part he's trying to sound a bit like the English actor for Geralt in the games (With Cavill is a huge fan of-he basically lobbied Netflix for the role non-stop), Doug Cockle. Cockle's voice for Geralt in turn seems somewhat inspired by David Hayter's Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series....the gruff, somewhat loner anti-hero type.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-05-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I am now less excited for season three than I was for season two.

As a book reader and game player, I won't debate about the changes they are making. If you like them, that's cool.
    What I will say, however, is that I'm not a fan of these changes and I'm really starting to wonder if Lauren and her team's egos and want of trying to create something "more" and "deeper" than what the original content provides will be their downfall.

They really should considering reining things back in for season three. I think Cavill may have alluded to this as well in one of his interviews leading up to the release.

As someone that read the books and played the games I really don't think the changes are all that significant in the grand scheme of things.

Was definately disappointed with how the other Witchers were handled especially Eskell and Vesemir.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It is confusing. Stick with it, it takes a while to understand the world, but it is a good show.
    I'd say the non-linear aspect is harder to follow than the worldbuilding.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Think in part he's trying to sound a bit like the English actor for Geralt in the games (With Cavill is a huge fan of-he basically lobbied Netflix for the role non-stop), Doug Cockle. Cockle's voice for Geralt in turn seems somewhat inspired by David Hayter's Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series....the gruff, somewhat loner anti-hero type.
    He gets there eventually.

Now that you remind me, I agree
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

He gets there eventually.
    The non-linear bit seemed especially forced during the second season.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!