Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Witcher was pretty good. I did have some issues with the non-linear storytelling. There were no cues just boom 20 years ago figure it out. Ppl are making a big deal about the female nudity.Which is ridiculous considering how much male nudity we get in every genre show these days.
    If this level nudity is a a problem for those people they shouldn't be watching any dark fantasy show period.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If this level nudity is a a problem for those people they shouldn't be watching any dark fantasy show period.
    Yeah man they really just need to get over it.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

If I'm being honest, the nudity wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. If we have to compare just by doing the eyeball test, Game of Thrones season one probably had more nudity in it overall. I'd be surprised if it didn't.

And most of it in The Witcher wasn't just for shock value, besides the big orgy scene, but that was kind of important to Yennefer's introduction and her powers.
    Lauren S. Hissrich even discussed before the premiere that it was important to her not to have unnecessary nudity in the show and have it actually progress the story when needed. With that said, there might have been a couple scenes that one could ask "was it necessary?" but by today's tv standards, I found it tame.

And I doubt many people would be complaining had Henry dropped his clothes a bit more than he did. That may be the core of some complaints, but I honestly haven't seen many discussions about the nudity so I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Can someone explain to me how the law of surprise works? I don't feel episode 4 did a good job of introducing the concept. From what I picked up on, it's a promise made between individuals where the person who makes the promise will have to pay back his debt with something he or she is unaware of and other will have to come back for eventually. If ether party don't follow through on their deal destiny will royally screw them over.
    In addition to what people have already posted, for what it's worth, here's the definition from the tabletop RPG book that R. Talsorian put out:

"Witchers across the world all share one ritual from their brotherhood’s first founding. The Law of Surprises can be invoked when an employer, or anyone saved from a monster, says some variation of “How can I ever repay you?” The Law of Suprises states “You will grant me whatever unexpected thing you encounter when you return home.” In early days this was probably used to capitalize on unforseen pregnancies to get new children for Witcher Schools. However, the Law of Suprises is a gamble that sometimes gives you something you weren’t expecting or didn’t need. Interestingly enough, the Law of Surprises can be invoked by anyone, and has caught on for gamblers and those who believe in fate." p.242.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I finished season one and have to say I liked it. Trying to keep everything straight timeline wise was kind of a hassle, and I am not really sure why they did that way though. It was like they were making it confusing for confusions sake in many spots, but once I was able to figure out what was happening when it didn't bother me as much. The dragonhunt episode with the dwarves was my favorite and I hope to see those guys again someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The dragonhunt episode with the dwarves was my favorite and I hope to see those guys again someday.
    Seconded. That was the episode I felt the Yen/Geralt chemistry was right.

Binged the whole season yesterday and absolutely loved it. Really loved the timeline thing, I'm not sure why people thought it was confusing because it was pretty obvious what was going on once you saw Geralt and Jaskier at a certain place where certain people were still alive. Maybe it helped because I knew Yennifer's story had to be way in the past barring major changes to her origin.

Someone help me out though with a book vs show question. I read the two short story books and the first full book a while back and I obviously recognized a lot of the stuff they adapted but it seemed like there was one major change. In the books spoilers:
    Doesn't Geralt find Ciri while she is with the forest people? I seem to recall that they were trying to force her into being some sort of druid fairy and Geralt had to invoke the law of surprise there to claim her. I'm guessing they mixed it up a bit just give Ciri something to do while the show had a lot of Geralt and Yennifer episodes set in the past.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 12-27-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The dragonhunt episode with the dwarves was my favorite and I hope to see those guys again someday.
    I'm with you buddy. The Dwarves were my favorite in that episode.

The dwarves were near perfect in that episode.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I'm sure some of you have enjoyed the music of The Witcher and may be curious to know when to expect an OST. Netflix has been mum on releasing the OST and no one is really sure why. However, I've gone ahead and provided a link to one of the composers Instagram posts explaining a couple things. In summary, she has asked all of us who are interested in an OST release to basically pressure Netflix into releasing it.

Check her post out here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6ldpUEA...=1s5h7hl5qoe5o

In tandem, there is a social media event planned for this weekend that will include the hashtag #FreeTheWitcherOST

"No eta on the soundtrack release at the moment. We have the soundtrack ready to go. Ask Netflix to release it since our hands are tied." - Sonya Belousova
    Witcher composer Sonya Belousova has confirmed that the show's soundtrack is ready for release. Her work, along with Giona Ostinelli and their collaborators, has been one of the stand-outs of our first season. But! It's up to Netflix to actually release the OST. And Sonya has been telling people to ask Netflix to release it. Us doing so will help show the interest is there. And it is. So...
    Tomorrow, December 28, using #FreeTheWitcherOST, we'd love to see posts on Twitter (and on the subreddit!) tossing a coin to our composer, showing clearly how much we NEED this soundtrack, and picking out our fave parts of the music in S1.
    Lilit help us, we'll get that OST!
    PS. We've partnered with r/witcher for this campaign! Check out their post here.
    OP: https://www.reddit.com/r/netflixwitc...the_composers/

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Binged the whole season yesterday and absolutely loved it. Really loved the timeline thing, I'm not sure why people thought it was confusing because it was pretty obvious what was going on once you saw Geralt and Jaskier at a certain place where certain people were still alive. Maybe it helped because I knew Yennifer's story had to be way in the past barring major changes to her origin.

Someone help me out though with a book vs show question. I read the two short story books and the first full book a while back and I obviously recognized a lot of the stuff they adapted but it seemed like there was one major change. In the books spoilers:
    Doesn't Geralt find Ciri while she is with the forest people? I seem to recall that they were trying to force her into being some sort of druid fairy and Geralt had to invoke the law of surprise there to claim her. I'm guessing they mixed it up a bit just give Ciri something to do while the show had a lot of Geralt and Yennifer episodes set in the past.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I haven't read the books, but yeah, I saw a lot of people who did it talking about that. Seems like the most controversial change from the source material, and I can see why. But I also get why it couldn't be done considering the way they decided to do the show.
    end of spoilers

This might be my favorite show of the year. I feel it will test the limits of today’s nerd culture though.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This might be my favorite show of the year. I feel it will test the limits of today’s nerd culture though.
    Why do you say that?

I like it so far still got half the show to go. But I havent seen anything that should push people buttons.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Why do you say that?

I like it so far still got half the show to go. But I havent seen anything that should push people buttons.
    I envy you. The place I've been almost imploded from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Why do you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    I envy you. The place I've been almost imploded from it.
    Help me understand what's being discussed here. I have a couple thoughts in mind, but would rather just ask.

I feel it will test the limits of today’s nerd culture though.
    Sounds like dark fantasy is a subgenre they need to steer clear from.