Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Sounds like dark fantasy is a subgenre they need to steer clear from.
    The Witcher doesn't strike me as being dark fantasy in the sense of ASOIAF/GOT. It's mostly Shrek for grownups in terms of tone, style, and theme.

It merely looks at fantasy from an unusual perspective but it's not anywhere as dark as Moorcock's ELRIC. The show parodies some fairy tale conventions but the little fantasy it does have it tends to play fairly straight. There's none of the questioning about the nature of magic that you have in ASOIAF/ELRIC and the fantasy story of Chosen One and prophecy tend to be played straight.

So I think Witcher is just a traditional fantasy with sex and violence ramped up.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Witcher doesn't strike me as being dark fantasy in the sense of ASOIAF/GOT. It's mostly Shrek for grownups in terms of tone, style, and theme.

It merely looks at fantasy from an unusual perspective but it's not anywhere as dark as Moorcock's ELRIC. The show parodies some fairy tale conventions but the little fantasy it does have it tends to play fairly straight. There's none of the questioning about the nature of magic that you have in ASOIAF/ELRIC and the fantasy story of Chosen One and prophecy tend to be played straight.

So I think Witcher is just a traditional fantasy with sex and violence ramped up.
    Traditional fantasy tend to be whimsical, optimistic and lighthearted affairs. None of these things are present in the Witcher. Doesn't need to question anything or be a deconstruction to be a dark fantasy. Being a crapsack world in a fantasy setting is generally enough.

BANNED

Traditional fantasy tend to be whimsical, optimistic and lighthearted affairs. None of these things are present in the Witcher. Doesn't need to question anything or be a deconstruction to be a dark fantasy. Being a crapsack world in a fantasy setting is generally enough.
    I guess. But that doesn't mean The Witcher is the same as ASOIAF or any such thing. It's got way more magic and far more overt than ASOIAF.

It's a lot closer to the Dunk and Egg stories that were prequel novellas that Martin wrote for ASOIAF and that was a lot more traditional in terms of the fantasy genre than the main series.

Having read the books, I'd say the franchise is plenty close to Game of Thrones in terms of tone.

Having played the games there is plenty of magic to be found. He only uses his signs a handful of times in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Help me understand what's being discussed here. I have a couple thoughts in mind, but would rather just ask.
    I have no idea that's why I was asking. I assume something happens that I havent seen yet that would upset people

The success of the show as caused a resurgence in the games. Witcher 3 got more people playing it now than it did on launch. It's translated to book sales. Witcher books are on top of the book sales charts on Amazon. The whole IP is on an upswing.

The success of the show as caused a resurgence in the games. Witcher 3 got more people playing it now than it did on launch. It's translated to book sales. Witcher books are on top of the book sales charts on Amazon. The whole IP is on an upswing.
    Yea I'm signed up for the monthly audible subscription and one of the witcher book is on the Most popular lists right now. I played witcher 3 when it first came out but had never played the older games. Witcher 3 was one those games i loved the wolrd and story but hated the combat at first. Untill I learned the play the game right and stopped trying to muscle through everything and then it got alot funner. I've played it through twice. Once at launce and again like 2months ago. So many things to watch right now I havent finished the show but I'll be done by New year. Just finished the righteous Gemstones. God I love Danny McBride but that's offtopic.

BANNED

Watching the Netflix show has made me want to replay Witcher III for sure.

I hope they do the entire "Witcher Saga" of which Witcher III: Wild Hunt is a very distant epilogue of. So by the time the Netlfix show is done, you can play the game and get a full story.

There are rumors that the Netflix show might inspire either a Witcher IV or a reboot...I hope they avoid Witcher IV because the third game gave a great conclusion and any story they tell will undo that I think.

Long live The Witcher .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Long live The Witcher .
    Toss a Coin to Your Witcher...

Ultimate Member

Believe it or not, I've been playing the Witcher 3 off and on since 2016 and i'm yet to finish it.

It's so darn long.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Believe it or not, I've been playing the Witcher 3 off and on since 2016 and i'm yet to finish it.

It's so darn long.....
    I played the GOTY edition in Summer 2019 (in part to prep up for the Netflix show). I had three months' vacation. For a longish AAA open-world game it takes me a week or two to finish it. The Witcher III took a month, including the DLC (Hearts of Stone, Blood and Wine) which is basically sequel's worth of content.

I prefer that. You get real value out of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

It's so darn long.....
    After two aborted attempts at starting it and just getting bored early I decided to stick with it. Once I got into the game I kept playing and something like 130 hrs and 4 months later I finished it along with the DLC. I was very happy to be done. It was a good game but it got very repetitive and I just stopped caring about the story after a while. Plus due to all the similar quests as things were coming to a climax I no longer really remembered the important events from earlier in the game as they all blurred together.